Lt. Commander
# 1 STF: Infected, Klingon side
03-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm not home yet to try out the new content, but I'm curious how realistic it will be for Klingons to beat it in the first few days. After all, how many of you have spent any epic badges (Marks of Honor) on ground gear, or put any points whatsoever in a ground tree? Or rolled a race with actual ground bonuses instead of space-focused alien character templates?

Yeah, me neither.

My question to any Klingons out there who HAVE tried the new raidisode is, is it possible to beat the actual "hard" part that people are reporting - the ground portion - with the trash combination of base abilities and VIII and X gear and that most Klingon BGs will be able to scrape together on short notice?

I'm sure most KDF players are more than willing to accept a challenge. That has never been in question. The real question is whether it's going to be a come-as-you-are type event or if the average Klingon player will need a few more days of daily badge farming to actually put out enough ground dps to wade through hordes of zombie borg and survive horrible one-shotting deaths at the hands of the Borg Queen.

Anybody make it in or through yet?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
I'm not home yet to try out the new content, but I'm curious how realistic it will be for Klingons to beat it in the first few days. After all, how many of you have spent any epic badges (Marks of Honor) on ground gear, or put any points whatsoever in a ground tree? Or rolled a race with actual ground bonuses instead of space-focused alien character templates?

Yeah, me neither.

My question to any Klingons out there who HAVE tried the new raidisode is, is it possible to beat the actual "hard" part that people are reporting - the ground portion - with the trash combination of base abilities and VIII and X gear and that most Klingon BGs will be able to scrape together on short notice?

I'm sure most KDF players are more than willing to accept a challenge. That has never been in question. The real question is whether it's going to be a come-as-you-are type event or if the average Klingon player will need a few more days of daily badge farming to actually put out enough ground dps to wade through hordes of zombie borg and survive horrible one-shotting deaths at the hands of the Borg Queen.

Anybody make it in or through yet?
Gears doesn't get too much more powerful like other games. In the end, it is still more on player skill. I'm not too worried about that right now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm looking forward to trying it.

Frankly, if ground PvP is any indication, most Federation players wear their pants on their heads and are running around firing pistols purchased from a shady Ferengi back when they were in the Academy and hasn't been updated since. "Challenging" for them includes tying shoes and using doorknobs.

I expect to begin the mission using only my bat'leth, left-handed, in order to give it some proper difficulty.

:p

What REALLY worries me is that Cryptic probably spent a month developing this mission and we're going to knock it out in about a day. This is why I don't like PvE. After you've done it once, it's never going to get any harder, whereas at least my 150th run of Ghost Ship might be more difficult, if I go up against a good team.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-04-2010, 01:41 PM
This is one of a few posts that just had a much better spot on the forums created for it, so I'm movin' it over. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
Frankly, if ground PvP is any indication, most Federation players wear their pants on their heads and are running around firing pistols purchased from a shady Ferengi back when they were in the Academy and hasn't been updated since.

*looks at his ferengi purchased pistol lovingly* Damn you, Klingon, Mathilda here has killed many a Klingon npc! But then I accidentially got into something called "assimilated cruiser" and suddenly the Klingons there were real overpowered. My Mathilda couldn't even scratch them and the very useful secondary fire cone aoe repel didn't seem to work. Epic fail cryptic, epic fail.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-04-2010, 01:54 PM
question is how well can you do the ground content when because of the cap most of us have only invested in space pvp skills only.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post

Yeah, me neither.
There are more of us out there that you seem to think, and we're pretty good at what we do if the PvP scores are any indication.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
I guess I must be the only Klingon to have put points in ground skills. Most of my levels were got through ground PvP (which I find a lot more fun than space combat). It'll be interesting to try out the Raids. If the AI is anything like the Feddie ground PvE combat, it'll be a breeze.

LordTareq: I wonder if you joined a ground PvP instance. It's a lot harder than the PvE.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I've always been heavy ground. T4 was kind of an embarrassment because I think that's when I first really started putting an effort into space PvP -- I did space PvP but I'd spent probably 80% or more of my gametime T1-T3 in ground PvP. I'm even an expert at melee combat, at least in terms of skill points spent. I bet not many people can say that. I spent my Admiral points on ground PvP abilities too (and I'm not even convinced that those are useful... I sunk points into that Admiral skill that buffs Overwatch and I don't think it actually did anything to improve it.)

Consequently I am stuck using Disruptor weapons on my ships because it's the only damage type I have points in. Maxed Disruptors, Beams, Torps and Cannons but have nothing in Phasers, Anti-Proton or that other fancy stuff.

I spent my first Marks of Honor on a new split beam rifle...
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Melee spec, huh? It would be interesting to see whether that works well on the boss. I wonder if it'll end up being a balance issue if 5 players pop a liter of dylovene and sword the Borg Queen to death.