Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I've never been big into PVP in general, but I have to say I like this idea as well.

One application I could see for such a hybrid PvE/PvP encounter could be missions where you have to defeat a named NPC, and then substitute the PvP-queued person for the named NPC (leave the name the same though, so it always identifies the character as "General K'tang" or what have you...)

It'd certainly add some unpredictability and added difficulty to said missions.

I also think that the restricitons the OP suggests sound fair.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
I actually wouldn't substitute a player for a named NPC, like a boss. Players are just too unpredictable.

That could be used as an argument to scrap the idea altogether but I think it's a risk worth taking. If you pick the PvP option you just have to recognize that sometimes you get a Klingon who can't tie his own shoes and sometimes you get me, who does nothing during his gameplay except try to figure out better ways to kill Feds.

Still, from the Fed perspective I think it would really spice up some otherwise routine PvE stuff. At worst you have a routine PvE mission with some silly Klingon that you just bowl over in 2 seconds. At best you have a routine PvE mission that suddenly has your team fighting for survival against a group of determined, well equipped Klingons. From the Klingon side we'd get to see some vastly different PvP in a variety of maps to help keep things interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Something like.....THIS? hah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5pWw7WhQks

I felt a great disturbance in the galaxy, as if millions of fedbears voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Fed player shouldnt get full reward for being defeated by a Klingon...it promotes farming. Give them something, but not full credit and not top loot.

We must not forget, we are goal/objective oriented(the beauty/bane of Western school models), we will game the system to achieve the reward because we are socialized to. So to keep us honest and in the spirit of the content, you have to model the reward system so it encourages playing the content...not sitting there waiting for a Klingon to kill us so we can get our credits, XP and loot in the fastest time possible.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Well, like most people in this game I don't PvP because there are better games for PvP.

However, I'd make the following modification to this idea: Allow Klingons to flag themselves for these missions. Then when a mission comes up, the next Klingon of the correct level will be given a dialog box asking if they are ready and then moved to the PvP instance. If they say fail to respond in say 5 seconds, or answer "not now" then the next Klingon gets messages, etc.

So then there is a "queue" of Klingon's already prepared for the situation.

The real problem is that nobody on the Fed side will choose to play +PVP missions. Even with the potential for higher reward, the simple fact that you can fail a mission completely would stop most people from ever choosing the option. That and the children who would make it their business to find ways to grief people. That'll happen, figure out how to keep it from happening and the system may get interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-04-2010, 03:03 PM
hehe...OP...

Nice adaptation of the Napoleon:Total War multiplayer mechanic
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
I think a lot about how Cryptic might be able to add interesting PvP content to the Klingons (and thus the Feds) without too much effort. Yes, I would love an epic game changing universe encompassing wargame which has endless gameplay and makes all of the Cryptic employees rich beyond their wildest dreams, but I understand that this sort of thing takes time and Cryptic might not be interested in becoming fabulously rich and famous, like rock stars, only better.

So we have to think about more immediate content additions.

What about this:
Spontaneous PvP, Left4Dead style.

Klingon side:
One of the queues you can enter is the "Spontaneous Queue" (or "On Demand" or "KDF Emergency Response" or whatever we want to call it). It's just another PvP queue. When the queue pops up, it will say something like, "There has been an emergency distress call from MISSION_SYSTEM_NAME. Can you assist?"

Fed side:
Anytime you join any PvE mission against Klingons, you can choose the difficulty:
  • Easy
  • Normal
  • Hard
  • Hard+PvP
  • Expert
  • Expert+PvP

If you choose an option with "+PvP", the following rules apply:

1) If you die or leave the mission, it will completely reset, all progress will be lost.
2) Klingon players will get invited into your mission as bad guys. Klingon players who are killed can be resurrected by allied players (if it's ground PvP) but they cannot respawn. They have one shot to beat you.
3) Mission rewards are doubled if any Klingon players show up. If the Klingons kill you, they get the same mission reward that you would have gotten.
4) If the Klingons fail, they get nothing. If you fail, you get nothing.

Klingon spawn in locations will randomly take the place of some existing filler NPC.

Since Klingons are getting help from NPCs, they wouldn't be invited on a 1:1 ratio with the Feds. I'm thinking something like 2 Feds per 1 Klingon, or 2 levels of Feds per 1 level of Klingons. (e.g., a solo Level 40 Fed might face two level 20 Klingons? Or four level 10 Klingons?)

With this idea, Cryptic already has the content -- the PvE mission maps -- and it's just a matter of figuring out how to let Klingons in on it with a proper spawn location.
I really like this idea.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
I think a lot about how Cryptic might be able to add interesting PvP content to the Klingons (and thus the Feds) without too much effort. Yes, I would love an epic game changing universe encompassing wargame which has endless gameplay and makes all of the Cryptic employees rich beyond their wildest dreams, but I understand that this sort of thing takes time and Cryptic might not be interested in becoming fabulously rich and famous, like rock stars, only better.

So we have to think about more immediate content additions.

What about this:
Spontaneous PvP, Left4Dead style.

Klingon side:
One of the queues you can enter is the "Spontaneous Queue" (or "On Demand" or "KDF Emergency Response" or whatever we want to call it). It's just another PvP queue. When the queue pops up, it will say something like, "There has been an emergency distress call from MISSION_SYSTEM_NAME. Can you assist?"

Fed side:
Anytime you join any PvE mission against Klingons, you can choose the difficulty:
  • Easy
  • Normal
  • Hard
  • Hard+PvP
  • Expert
  • Expert+PvP

If you choose an option with "+PvP", the following rules apply:

1) If you die or leave the mission, it will completely reset, all progress will be lost.
2) Klingon players will get invited into your mission as bad guys. Klingon players who are killed can be resurrected by allied players (if it's ground PvP) but they cannot respawn. They have one shot to beat you.
3) Mission rewards are doubled if any Klingon players show up. If the Klingons kill you, they get the same mission reward that you would have gotten.
4) If the Klingons fail, they get nothing. If you fail, you get nothing.

Klingon spawn in locations will randomly take the place of some existing filler NPC.

Since Klingons are getting help from NPCs, they wouldn't be invited on a 1:1 ratio with the Feds. I'm thinking something like 2 Feds per 1 Klingon, or 2 levels of Feds per 1 level of Klingons. (e.g., a solo Level 40 Fed might face two level 20 Klingons? Or four level 10 Klingons?)

With this idea, Cryptic already has the content -- the PvE mission maps -- and it's just a matter of figuring out how to let Klingons in on it with a proper spawn location.
Brilliant. Make it so.