Lt. Commander
# 11
03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm unclear which you meant in the short original post, but I'd make a point of distinguishing between "Klingon-only" and "Klingon-also" PvE content. Letting Klingons access what is essentially Fed PvE content does not cost months of dev (or encounter designer) time. Assuming their technology is up to the task, it's mostly a matter of flipping a switch and adding a few NPCs to convert content developed for Feds to be universally accessible, and is relatively cheap time-wise, especially after the first few times when the bugs are ironed out.

Klingon-only content, however, is a wholly different story, and does indeed have all the drawbacks and the likely poor effort/work ratio you described.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
*buzz*

Wrong. Once they have enough interiors designed, they can slap them together to make new maps very quickly. And if your talking about planetary surfaces, their genesis system lets them instantly create random looks(think hitting random on the character creator). The longest part of making a PvE mission would be writing the dialogue and scripting the chain of events in the mission.
I guess they can do what WoW did, the Horde had basically the same quests as the alliance, however, instead of killing XX of A they had to kill XX of B, well that was after the Crossroads anyway, in most of the new expansions all the quests are the same Horde and Alliance.

P.S. Personally, I hope they put Klingon only quests as the post above me mentioned, would be a whole new experience instead of redoing the same stuff (i.e. same quest, text, planet)
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
/agrees with Triumphant.
in WoW a lot of the quests are the same for both factions, all the end game instances/raids are the same, b/c in the end the Horde and the Alliance are fighting the same enemy.
it's easy to see how Cryptic has already chosen the same path for dual-faction PvE in end-game content.

i would very much like to see the KLingon storyline, the Undine infiltrating the Gorn, and attempting to infiltrate the KLingons, as read in 'the path to 2409'. but instead, we the Borg invade and just b/c the Fed are fighting them, we have to fight them just to show the Fed's up.

literally, this is the motivation for the KLingon faction in 'Infected'. i DID read the Mission text lol

it would be great to play a dual-faction MMO where the opposing factions had seperate and unique storylines and missions, seperate and unique end-game content (instances and STF's-'raidisodes'), but i dont think STO is it. the only thing different and unique about Faction content is space combat, made possible by the Klingon cloak/ Carriers. the only place we get to see that is in PvP, and that's another reason why PvP in STO has more replay value than the PVE content.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet1138 View Post
/agrees with Triumphant.
in WoW a lot of the quests are the same for both factions, all the end game instances/raids are the same, b/c in the end the Horde and the Alliance are fighting the same enemy.
it's easy to see how Cryptic has already chosen the same path for dual-faction PvE in end-game content.

i would very much like to see the KLingon storyline, the Undine infiltrating the Gorn, and attempting to infiltrate the KLingons, as read in 'the path to 2409'. but instead, we the Borg invade and just b/c the Fed are fighting them, we have to fight them just to show the Fed's up.

literally, this is the motivation for the KLingon faction in 'Infected'. i DID read the Mission text lol

it would be great to play a dual-faction MMO where the opposing factions had seperate and unique storylines and missions, seperate and unique end-game content (instances and STF's-'raidisodes'), but i dont think STO is it. the only thing different and unique about Faction content is space combat, made possible by the Klingon cloak/ Carriers. the only place we get to see that is in PvP, and that's another reason why PvP in STO has more replay value than the PVE content.
Whole heartedly agre, the Klingon race have their own story as to where they are and how they got there, also how they their allies came to be accepted, let us look at both sides of the coin please.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Has the op never tried the much vaunted "exploration" in this game? That one pve map will get used over and over and over and over again, with the enemies swapped out. So its not a one time use thing. Sadly.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Some good points made in this topic. I have a lot of respect for the Klingons who have posted here and hope their ideas are listened to.

As to me, well, the advantage with a little pve would simply be a break in levelling.

Of the ten members of my klingon fleet, only two are still playing of which i am one. Everyone else gave up very quickly. Thats a really bad rate of player loss and our fleet is basically dead. Even the GM stepped down and gave leadership away and the whole thing was his dream idea.

At around 120 xp per pvp match, as a late rank captain, i have done so many back to back matches that i have started doing mad things to break the monotony. I have mounted attacks on the Federation space station, have done ground maps purely using a rifle butt and have at times just given up and waited for the whole thing to end.

Wins give the same xp, more or less, as losses, so it is a rare game that interests me enough to do more than guard a resource point. The only objective is to win or lose quickly, which is sad.

If, however, i got some sort of mission just to break the monotony, that would really help me keep an interest. Alternatively, i would want some free-fire open world pvp. I want to stalk and compete with enemy ships, not just fight them in an arena....i left ******** because that was all the pvp they offered....and now i get that here (
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-05-2010, 09:10 PM
I've always grudgingly supported the "Star Cluster" content -- the random mission generator. That makes the most sense for the Klingon team to have. With relatively minimal effort, Cryptic gives us an endless system for generation missions to go on which, while probably not very exciting, at least gives people some PvE to do. It has high replay value, at least.

I just don't like hearing about episodic PvE content for Klingons when our PvP content is so ghetto. If we were sitting pretty on a handful of awesome, in-depth PvP maps then hey, I'd probably be all for seeing some better PvE content. But as it is, our PvP content is bare bones, basic stuff -- short, meaningless matches.

I very much want to see improved PvP content before I see episodic PvE content.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
I've always grudgingly supported the "Star Cluster" content -- the random mission generator. That makes the most sense for the Klingon team to have. With relatively minimal effort, Cryptic gives us an endless system for generation missions to go on which, while probably not very exciting, at least gives people some PvE to do. It has high replay value, at least.

I just don't like hearing about episodic PvE content for Klingons when our PvP content is so ghetto. If we were sitting pretty on a handful of awesome, in-depth PvP maps then hey, I'd probably be all for seeing some better PvE content. But as it is, our PvP content is bare bones, basic stuff -- short, meaningless matches.

I understand where you are coming from as a PVP'er, however, as I do not PVP I would like to see some more PVE content, I left **** (as mentioned earlier) as I'm not a PVP'er and thought (because the was no real explanation at launch) that PVPVE meant both PVP and PVE, but it didn't, so more episodic PVE quests please.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Im a General hardcore PvPer , im sure you cats have seen mean talking crap in Zone more than once Its Ch'thorg The BEAR , and I hate to say this but we NEEED pve .

I know for some of us that got general when there was tons of pvpers enjoyed the game and how w e lvled , but Im telling you as someone tring to lvl a alt right now.............OMG I dont even have the right words to tell you the pain it is.There is just no games , you can get like 1 game every 2 sometimes 3 hours.

So to all the feds asking where are the klingons at T 5? I found them they are stuck at lvl 6.......and no way to lvl except some fake pve expanse.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz

I know where you are coming from, really I do. But the reality is that pvp in this game is terrible. I mean really really terrible. Anything based on or derived from it, is doomed to be terrible too. The PVE in the game is at least passable. The PVP was not good enough to keep anyones interest as it was, due to it sucking so bad, which is why we have a population problem anyway. You do not build onto a rotten house and foundation. You demolish it and build an entirely new one. If you want the klingons to be a pvp faction, it can't be with this kind (the current setup) of pvp.

They obviously are not redoing the pvp system in the near future, so PVE really is our best bet to getting anyone on the faction and keeping them here.