Lt. Commander
# 11
02-26-2010, 01:16 PM
@TheFritoB, I've heard you only get upgraded to T3 for the area you get the magical value for. So if you turn in 300k or whatever to the tactical guy, you'll be able to upgrade stuff at the T3 tactical guy, but you'll still be stuck doing T2 engineering and science.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefritob View Post
Anyone know if it matters which tier2 guy I use to get to tier 3? I don't have any of the engineering stuff (i'm engineering) but I happen to have what the tactical person wants.
Each department is separate. Engineering and Science both need 400k C worth of items EACH for EACH Tier 3 guy to be unlocked. Tactical needs 100k C. (Source: My own experience and the STO wiki)
Lt. Commander
# 13 Common mk vi drops
03-04-2010, 01:35 PM
The only way to get mk vi commons is by getting them from drops or buying a new ship and stripping it. However, has anyone found a good place to grind on pve for good mk vi drop rates on the needed items for crafting? If so let me know please. Exchange is crazy and I'm not going to pay that much for one item.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoth01 View Post
The only way to get mk vi commons is by getting them from drops or buying a new ship and stripping it. However, has anyone found a good place to grind on pve for good mk vi drop rates on the needed items for crafting? If so let me know please. Exchange is crazy and I'm not going to pay that much for one item.
would love to know this also, especially where to get quantum mine launchers to convert into torpedo launchers
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Got to tier 3 tactical purely through use of the exchange and believe me its expensive, I ended up spending 4 million total on samples and items, although I still have a couple million dollars worth of samples from buying in bulk and you can make some of it back through selling the upgraded items.

The ironic thing is that because of Memory Alpha, the price of common items used in "crafting" is 3-4 times the price of the blue items that are produced, also the MK X items that are needed for tier 3 crafting are completely overpriced because of this as well, kind of defeating the purpose of the whole thing.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM
I read you can get MK4 / MK6 drops in the appropriate explore clusters.
I don't know which clusters are best but I think the explore cluster in Psi Velorum must be good.
Enemies do scale up in this explore clusters but not the loot drops so you just have to check which explore cluster gives suited loot.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druuna
I don't know which clusters are best but I think the explore cluster in Psi Velorum must be good.
Enemies do scale up in this explore clusters but not the loot drops so you just have to check which explore cluster gives suited loot.

I'd like to see evidence for this, all my attempts have lead to getting IX and X gear, even from low level exploration. Romulan signal contacts in Alpha Centari system seem to be getting the best results looting IV gear although only about one in ten drops are craftable.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druuna
I've found the cluster (Exploration) missions are scaled up to your level ( I get Mk IX and X drops in Afehirr Nebula with my RA5), but the Sector Defence drops are zone level. Defence (Enemy Contacts) in Psi Velorum and Alpha Centauri are giving Mk IV - VI drops but you must join in one already started if you are above the Sector level range.