Lt. Commander
My roommate and I always end up playing this game together and its a great deal of fun. The one frustrating part is we'll often try to use a power during combat only to have it used on the other person. I'm not even sure how we select the other person without actually clicking on them but it would be nice if it at least used some kind of intelligence in deciding who to give the power to. I've got 1% shield, he has 100%, how about you don't give him the science team.

Not sure if this has been talked about or not but maybe someone can explain how this works and if it works as intended.

Thanks,
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2010, 04:01 PM
There's an option that controls this...something about auto-assist.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2010, 04:41 PM
On the same note, when you do re-target and pop the heal on him you will find the not only you, the experienced starship pilot, and not only your ship's computer but the ENTIRE crew of your ship will have forgotten what your offensive target was before.

This is not an issue in pve with few ships, but you try going up against two carriers in t5 pvp, popping a heal on an ally and spending the next 4 minutes clicking or tabbing through klinkspawn to actually re-target the thing you want to kill.

Not only frustrating, but it's cost a few deaths.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
There's an option that controls this...something about auto-assist.
So auto-assist mean that I should always give him the power? Because more often then not the person who is in greatest need of it doesn't get it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm not in game to check the option at the moment, but the problem you're experiencing is a 'target of target' issue. What's happening is that when you're using the power while targeted on an enemy, the ui is using the power on that enemy's current target. If his target is you, the power will be used on you, while if your friend is taking fire from your current target, they will receive the effect. Despite the fact that you might be the target of 15 other enemy ships at the time, and therefore need the effect more than your friend, it is your current target that decides who will be the recipient when you click 'Science Team.'

The 'target of target' feature has gone by many names in various games, but it's intended as a way to simplify assisting and re-targeting so you're not trying to click to target as much in chaotic situations with lots of targets. The way it works is, if you use a defensive power while targeted on an enemy, that enemy's target will be targeted. Likewise, if you use an offensive power while targeted on an ally, the target of that ally will be the one attacked. It's a system that has its strengths and weaknesses, but it is fairly common in the mmo world.

The best way to avoid having a heal go off on an unintended target is to either clear your target before healing, so there is no 'implied target' to receive the heal, or to actively target yourself (F1 by default), thus making yourself the 'active' target.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
They really need to add in a friendly target and Enemy target. I have actually healed the enemy by accident with scramble sensors. That was kind of funny. Then they keeled me and I was being nice.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shudon View Post
My roommate and I always end up playing this game together and its a great deal of fun. The one frustrating part is we'll often try to use a power during combat only to have it used on the other person. I'm not even sure how we select the other person without actually clicking on them but it would be nice if it at least used some kind of intelligence in deciding who to give the power to. I've got 1% shield, he has 100%, how about you don't give him the science team.

Not sure if this has been talked about or not but maybe someone can explain how this works and if it works as intended.

Thanks,
go to options on esc menue. Controls (name is close to this)auto assist target/assit target and shut it off. On cell phone or would look up full name hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I've had this too, I didn't realize it was there was anything I could do about it. Thanks for bringing it up and answering!