Lt. Commander
# 31
03-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeliss
Open PvP would be an amazing addition to the game. I can understand it being restricted to certain areas, but having all instanced PvP is downright boring after a while and you find yourself wondering what the point is.

Some sort of open PvP would really make this game epic. Some sort of limited "invasion" potential would be amazing, but I'm not saying we should be able to just fly right up to earth spacedock and pick off low level players. At least let us attack the feds that enter klingon space for goodness sake. It doesn't make sense that they can just tour our sectors and all we can do is emote at them.

edit: so you don't make fun of my typos.
What I had suggested before was that you enter consensual PvP instances across the entire sector map, where you COULD attack Sol, K7 and the like. Each grouping would be restricted by tier, so you wouldn't have 45's taking on level 7 players. You enter the instance - and you'd know it, too, because you'd have to choose to do so to enter the sector - and you're PvPing with whomever is in there. You can't leave a sector if you're in Red Alert - just like you can't leave an instance under the same context - and if you die, you respawn in a regular instance, and must choose to switch to that instance again, preventing spawn camping.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidethfreak View Post
You forgot to mention, however, that games with a flag system are easily exploited, most commonly by AoE damage, inviting more griefing.
i dont see how, if your not flagged for pvp then you should not be drawn into it and aoe damage should not affect your character

if that is the case then that is more of a bug that needs to be sorted, so the general point is still valid
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i dont see how, if your not flagged for pvp then you should not be drawn into it and aoe damage should not affect your character

if that is the case then that is more of a bug that needs to be sorted, so the general point is still valid
It happens in every game that allows flagging. I agree, that it shouldn't, but it does. Don't believe me? Go back to WAR, and get someone to flag for PvP that is right next to someone who isn't. Hit the one who is with an AoE spell. The next guy is now flagged, and he did nothing but stand there.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
It happens in every game that allows flagging. I agree, that it shouldn't, but it does. Don't believe me? Go back to WAR, and get someone to flag for PvP that is right next to someone who isn't. Hit the one who is with an AoE spell. The next guy is now flagged, and he did nothing but stand there.
ok fair enough, i have not seen that for myself but ill assume thats correct. thats for the game designers to sort out though. if they cant fix it then fair enough dont add it

that part im not even that interested in, i was only using warhammer as an example of how it can be done. the main thing i want is the open zones like the warhammer lakes that when you go into your flagged and can be captured
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
ok fair enough, i have not seen that for myself but ill assume thats correct. thats for the game designers to sort out though. if they cant fix it then fair enough dont add it

that part im not even that interested in, i was only using warhammer as an example of how it can be done. the main thing i want is the open zones like the warhammer lakes that when you go into your flagged and can be captured
I suggested - and continue to - that they have separate instances that allow PvP of the entire sector map. You have to choose to enter them - the Traffic Controller would give you the choice of Warp Out - Not Now - PvP Warp Out - and if you chose the last one, you enter a zone where it's PvP, but the entire sector map is exactly the same. You can do your missions exactly the same, but you can be followed into the instance and attacked, as well. When you die and respawn, you'd respawn exactly where you were, but in a PvE mirror of the instance you were just in.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
I suggested - and continue to - that they have separate instances that allow PvP of the entire sector map. You have to choose to enter them - the Traffic Controller would give you the choice of Warp Out - Not Now - PvP Warp Out - and if you chose the last one, you enter a zone where it's PvP, but the entire sector map is exactly the same. You can do your missions exactly the same, but you can be followed into the instance and attacked, as well. When you die and respawn, you'd respawn exactly where you were, but in a PvE mirror of the instance you were just in.
That's a good system, that could be fun. Another would be large OpenPvP zones that are optional. Cryptic did this very successfully in City of Heroes, and I think they could do it even more so in this game. A true OpenPvP Neutral Zone consisting of about 5 or 10 sector blocks the size of current sector blocks would be amazing, and they could easily start it out smaller and grow it as population grows. That's one nice thing about the way they've split the blocks up, they can add more in between existing ones with little disruption.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
That's a good system, that could be fun. Another would be large OpenPvP zones that are optional. Cryptic did this very successfully in City of Heroes, and I think they could do it even more so in this game. A true OpenPvP Neutral Zone consisting of about 5 or 10 sector blocks the size of current sector blocks would be amazing, and they could easily start it out smaller and grow it as population grows. That's one nice thing about the way they've split the blocks up, they can add more in between existing ones with little disruption.
I'm not just saying the Neutral Zone. I mean the whole entire map, from Qu'Onos to Sol, every Federation and Klingon sector available for such - to also include Cardies and Rommies when they eventually get added. I actually outlined a plan to make it so we take sectors, making borders a bit more dynamic, and making it so we can march all the way to the opposing faction's headquarters and take them out.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
that sounds sensible, it gives people the choice and you cant get whacked by accident.

i want them to add a sector block between the fed space and klingon space thats is all pvp but can be bypassed for those that do not want it.

maybe have 11 systems, 5 feds and 5 klingons with one neutral system in the middle. Who ever captures that system can then move onto the next system and move up until all 11 zones are under that factions control. the other faction would be trying to do the same. Each system would have several starbases or planets that need to be captured by space or ground assaults or both. Each system under your control would have npc to help the defending team until its captured. if all eleven systems fall under one factions control then maybe a special instance of earth or qo'nos is opened up for attack. After it would reset and start again.

or something along those lines.

wins in the skirmish pvp zones that we currently own could go to adding points to the war effort allowing the construction of better defences. crafting could also come into it as players are able to build their own starbases or weapon platforms to defend it.

this can only really come in though once the klingon faction is fixed and proper pve is added to attract players to the klingon side so to try and get the numbers more even. once they add romulans in they can open systems between klingon/romulan space and between romulan/fed space

thats all just a rough idea but anything along those lines would be good with me
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Personally I would like to see a PVP thing like we had in open beta, the battle where you were supposed to grab Borgs, resource battle, and you beamed down with your away team and blasted the other sides away teams and players. That was pretty much the most fun I ever had in a PVP ground battle.
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtorius
Personally I would like to see a PVP thing like we had in open beta, the battle where you were supposed to grab Borgs, resource battle, and you beamed down with your away team and blasted the other sides away teams and players. That was pretty much the most fun I ever had in a PVP ground battle.
I hope it comes back. I know that every time I played it, it was busted, but I hope it gets fixed and put back in.