Lt. Commander
# 41
03-09-2010, 04:23 AM
This reminds me of the time that *** had major connectivity problems over the course of a few weeks. Funcom said it wasn't at their end, and regardless of the evidence which pointed at a major connection hub in Amsterdam which wasn't owned by Funcom, people still tried to grab their pitchforks and blame them.

Guys, these MMO companies don't own the internet. When you connect to an MMO you aren't connecting directly to the game servers. You are hopping through numerous connections, each of which are maintained and owned by separate companies / organisations (some of which are your own ISP). If just ONE breaks down between you and the destination then you will have problems. And sometimes hardware can break down which only affects certain services and not others.

When it comes to the internet "backbone", Cryptic are at its mercy, just like you and I. All they can do is makesure the servers are running and that theres no breakdown in their connection hardware, and report the issue to their ISP (just like you or I do). If the problem is outside of their own buildings, then they are at the mercy of the gods.
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-09-2010, 04:27 AM
yeah the "ISP problems"

same "problem" they had when champions came online?

same one that, how was it.... oh yeah "Accidentally blocked" whole IP ranges form Virgin Media?

riiiiiight

and the launcher message? lol quick to shift the blame "Um yeah mom the window got broken but it wasnt me! I dont know how it got broken but I certainly did not throw a rock through it, wasnt me, I promise."

me thinks the Company doth protest too much.

anyway im not in Europe so doesn't effect me except that I have friends who couldn't play yesterday
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
This reminds me of the time that *** had major connectivity problems over the course of a few weeks. Funcom said it wasn't at their end, and regardless of the evidence which pointed at a major connection hub in Amsterdam which wasn't owned by Funcom, people still tried to grab their pitchforks and blame them.

Guys, these MMO companies don't own the internet. When you connect to an MMO you aren't connecting directly to the game servers. You are hopping through numerous connections, each of which are maintained and owned by separate companies / organisations (some of which are your own ISP). If just ONE breaks down between you and the destination then you will have problems. And sometimes hardware can break down which only affects certain services and not others.

When it comes to the internet "backbone", Cryptic are at its mercy, just like you and I. All they can do is makesure the servers are running and that theres no breakdown in their connection hardware, and report the issue to their ISP (just like you or I do). If the problem is outside of their own buildings, then they are at the mercy of the gods.

Quickly, men - sound the Logic-Alert!

This man is interfering with our quest for Cryptic-Blood.
Lt. Commander
Hi Sir,

I hereby officially invite you to use My spareroom at My appartment to store a slavecomputer for the people of Europe who ye love Star Trek too ! You hear Me CRYPTIC ? you can contact Me at Eskaton7@hotmail.com !

I am the First Shaman, the shaman who takes action.

Eskaton
Lt. Commander
# 45 >>>space for slave-computer
03-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
Uncheck the Proxy box in the launcher settings.
I hereby officially invite CRYPTIC to make use of My computerroom, for the installation of a slavecomputer, so the people of Europe also can enjoy STO for the maximum amount of time.

My computerroom has 2 internetconnections installed when I let the appartment build a few years back.

You hear Me Cryptic ? Let Me be a part of it too, cause I waited about 35 years for this ! Yeye I have foresight ! Please contact Me at Eskaton777@hotmail.com for an answer...

Eskaton
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskaton777 View Post
I hereby officially invite CRYPTIC to make use of My computerroom, for the installation of a slavecomputer, so the people of Europe also can enjoy STO for the maximum amount of time.

My computerroom has 2 internetconnections installed when I let the appartment build a few years back.

You hear Me Cryptic ? Let Me be a part of it too, cause I waited about 35 years for this ! Yeye I have foresight !

Eskaton
PLEASE CRYPTIC DO THIS

Give them their own server so they will quit complaining about down time.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-09-2010, 08:36 AM
I"m just wondering when people on Europa, or any other moon of Jupiter, were ever able to play? For that matter, when did we colonize Jupiter's moons?
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-09-2010, 08:44 AM
LOL ... computer user receives an ID-10-T error and decides that it's someone else's fault. ROFL......fail.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Odd, I played STO for weeks now from Europe without major incidents. There is occasionally some loading delays on maps during prime time, but the game proceeds after delays in the range of 10 to 30 seconds. With possibly one exceptional long delay exceeding one minute a few nights ago.

I for one find it refreshing to finally be able to play outside of a strict demographic/economical segment, and must say the server connections across Europe as such, has been more shaky when playing titles such as CoX, and WAR. Where servers was situated in Germany and France respectively.

---
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
I"m just wondering when people on Europa, or any other moon of Jupiter, were ever able to play? For that matter, when did we colonize Jupiter's moons?

Oh, it's been awhile now. We tried Io first, but that was a bit too exciting.