Lt. Commander
# 1 End Game?
03-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I have been hearing this phrase in many STO interviews, End Game Content. What does it mean? Sounds very foreboding like.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2010, 03:10 PM
End-game is what you do when your character reaches maximum level. STO's End-game isn't in place yet - they don't even have their last 5 levels in the game yet. Most current MMOs' End-game consists of Raiding.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
It means: Take it easy, or else.

Some of the guys leaving when the first month was out needed sedatives. Hopefully some of them was overzealous by-the-book Trekkies that should try this 3D Holodeck called the "outside" a lot more than the colour of their skin indicated. But I hear there is no endgame as we know it. They are slowly adding more stuff along the road, though. Patience is a virtue, more patience is... oh that's faith. Heh.

---
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
End Game Content means different things to differerent people.

In a traditional MMO, the main focus is to perform repetitive activities, in various areas, in order to reach max level in those areas.

You quest and kill things in order to gain xp, in order to reach higher character levels, until you reach max level.
You craft, gather, etc in order to reach higher levels of crafting, gathering until you can craft and gather the best stuff.

Once you "max out" your character, you are at what most consider to be end game. Since you can't gain any more character levels, the big question is:

Now what?

This is what people talk about when they ask what game content is then available for them at End Game.

Now, how this relates to STO:
STO was developed in 2 years. This is at least half of the development cycle most MMOs take, and Cryptic fully understood what this means.
It means you get a solid foundation of a MMO, but not a full-blown one that would take 2-3 more years to develop.

So, once you reach max level in STO, you basically run out of quests, and have a very few activites you can do in order to progress your character. Many people aren't happy about the lean end game. For those people, what now seems to be 1) Complain on the forums, 2) stay with it for now, 3) bail.

Now:
Cryptic is STILL developing new content, and working on it as we speak.
I personally don't feel people have any room to gripe, except that we are paying full price for what is a very lean MMO. Other than that, Cyrptic did what they agreed to do, and they did it VERY well.

Personally, I enjoy STO for what it is, and believe it has MASSIVE potential. I don't need 50 raids at end game, because frankly I don't enjoy any game activity that requires me to stay at it for 2+ hours at a time. I STILL enjoy space battles and ground missions, but I am weird like that

So...I am fine with STO, I know what it is, why it is, and am excited about what it will become.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
End-game is what you do when your character reaches maximum level. STO's End-game isn't in place yet - they don't even have their last 5 levels in the game yet. Most current MMOs' End-game consists of Raiding.
Endgame level is currently 45 so the STF content is the endgame content.

The last 5 levels like most other MMOs will just raise the cap and bring lvl 50+ STF's.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
What many people fail to realize is this: The majority of your online time in any game will be spent at max level. You obviously invest a few weeks or maybe a few months leveling up - then the level process is over.

So in saying that people expect content or for lack of better terms something to do once they hit max level.

Crafting
Exploration
Raids
Small 5 man content
PvP
Player housing
Quests with viable interesting stories

SOMETHING to justify paying 15 dollars a month to continue to play the game.

To bad STO offers none of this in a viable sense as it stands.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreell View Post
What many people fail to realize is this: The majority of your online time in any game will be spent at max level. You obviously invest a few weeks or maybe a few months leveling up - then the level process is over.

So in saying that people expect content or for lack of better terms something to do once they hit max level.

Crafting
Exploration
Raids
Small 5 man content
PvP
Player housing
Quests with viable interesting stories

SOMETHING to justify paying 15 dollars a month to continue to play the game.

To bad STO offers none of this in a viable sense as it stands.
exactly. and remember, theres PLENTY of other mmo's that offer all that. STO needs to take each of these and IMPROVE and evolve them to keep people and/or steal them from the other mmo's.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Thank you all for replying. It helped me understand what End Game is. I hope in the future they will add more story and mission, even after you hit the current end game style. I really love the missions and seeing the story progress. I hope when we or I reach End Game, it is not the end for good.

Do most mmos continue and add more story as the years go on? I think WoW did. I only played that game for a short period of time.

Also I got the feeling that they plan to expand more on the Klingons and they will add more factions. I hope they do add more factions. I think people will play the game more for a long time.

I plan to stay for a long time, since I got a life subscription.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrekwho
Do most mmos continue and add more story as the years go on? I think WoW did. I only played that game for a short period of time.

Most MMOs try to add some new content on a regular basis though WoW is one of the few to consistently raise the level cap over the last few years. Most of the time it's just a new STF like Infected or some type of new raid which can be repeated. Most of WoW's End-game is Raiding.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Most MMOs try to add some new content on a regular basis though WoW is one of the few to consistently raise the level cap over the last few years. Most of the time it's just a new STF like Infected or some type of new raid which can be repeated. Most of WoW's End-game is Raiding.[/quote]

I have to admit that WoW is the demigod of mmos. I think if STO does well and I'm very optimistic about it. The game will add more story and they will do what WoW has done.

This what I'm doing. I'm working on me Fed Character for now and when I feel I hit "The End Game"; I will play as an Klingon. By then, they may have more content for Klingons. When they add more to the Feds. I will go back to my Fed character.

Hopefully over time, they will have more factions to play as.

I think the key is people should take it slow in the game for now. So they don't level too fast. Than again, if you are not an lifer. You might not want to take it slow.