Lt. Commander
# 1 New faction annoucned...
03-11-2010, 05:29 PM
So at GDC10 it was announced that a new playable faction was going to be put in within the year, possibly even as soon as July (Update 2 is July, Update 3 in November). Will the Klingon faction be fully finished by then? Is that enough time for all the major issues and unfinished work to be completed? I know I will be really disappointed if this new faction has far more features and many of the things we've been begging for, before we get them.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2010, 05:53 PM
They'll just add another species without finishing the Klings and say "wow, look now we have TWO PvP races! If you want PvE go back to the Federation."

To a certain extent, I'd be happy if they just fixed the constant disconnects that occurs on QoNos (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
did they say what race it was? it might just be the tellarites and caitians people are so in love with being added to the fed race roster
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2010, 06:10 PM
They didn't say, they said it would be up to the players but that they seemed to like the idea of it being Romulan or Borg.

Here's the interview: Massively Interview

There's another interview on that site with Craig and Bill Roper, but it really doesn't offer anything news worthy . It was actually kind of embarrassing because they kinda come off as jerks in it and it didn't represent the company very well. It could have been off the record and the interviewer decided to post it, I don't know. It was really a weird interview.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
cool, thx. to bad it was so short and very vague. Though i would say the rommies will be the next faction, as if they do borg, they better get it done right the first time. the borg player wannabe's seem the types to be crazy if something don't work right
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I hope its the Cardassian/Dominion. I know it wont be, but one cane have dreams, right?
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Borg is impossible without completely ruining their background. There are no individuals, no captains aboard Borg ships, no social hubs, drones don't even speak to eachother. And their ships would have to be balanced against Federation/Klingon ships and thus be severely underpowered compared to canon.
They are much better suited for a PVE endgame faction imo.

First playable faction should be Romulans, as they are part of the original big 3 powerful factions from the original series. Then the Cardassians, possibly as part of the Dominion.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-11-2010, 10:11 PM
There is precedence for smaller collectives, so I can see it working. It could also work as if they are part of the regular collective by having "favored drones" or something like that.

and as far as the borg being balanced around Fed and Klingon ships....have you been in any of the PvE? I don't think we have to worry too much since it will make them look tougher, if anything.

I can really see them going to route of changing how the collective works. Having smaller collectives that tie into the larger collective is probably a natural adaptation considering how poor their system has proven to be in the past. It is easier to cut off a piece of the collective that gets "infected" than risk the entire thing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-11-2010, 10:30 PM
The next faction will be the Romulans. Why?

1) There are already Romulan warship models ingame, just like Cardassian & Dominion ships, however...
2) The Romulans are the 3rd of the 3 major factions introduced by TOS.
3) The Romulans have long been a major player militarily and politically in the quadrant ever since their TOS introduction.
4) The Romulans have been embroiled in numerous conflicts with the Klingons and Federation. If you really get down to the nitty gritty of wars in Star Trek, most of the depicted or heavily mentioned ones involve the original 3 factions... Federation, Klingons, and Romulans. Even better is a combination of 2 against 1 every now and then.

The Romulans have been so important to the history and background of Star Trek, that not making them the next playable faction would be a**-backwards.

Even the Cardassians, so heavily depicted in DS9, have a mere footnote history in Star Trek compared to the Romulans.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-12-2010, 12:27 AM
well, if we do get a new faction(i agree probably the romulans), the klingon side is going to take a pounding, I wonder if the romulan side will be complete, if so that'll be a real shame considering the resources that will have been spent putting together the romulan faction that could have gone to finishing up the klingon side, guess will just have to wait and see until some official anouncement, at least trying to be optimistic, i'll have somthing new to do since currently a maxed out klingon all i can do is pvp, and kill borg for fun since i wont be gaining any skill points, and it'll be funny when i'm hanging around cloaked in warbird listening to the federation whine about playing like a romulan! but i would have prefered to have a complete klingon faction since they make much better warriors then romulans, but all we can do is just play the waiting game and see what happens.