Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-11-2010, 04:56 PM
So let me get this straight.... They have made PvP consensual but they wont do the same with deep space encounters? Am I the only one who sees the problem there? Whats the difference between being forced into combat with a computer and being forced into combat with another player? They should go in one direction or another, but the current approach seems somewhat bi-polar schizo....
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Basically, it means that someone can't ever be attacked without somehow having agreed to it. So yes, we might do PvP zones...but you'll be notified while entering that the zone is open PvP. Believe me, I badly want open PvP zones.
I think PvP zones are essential!!! It drives me nuts being in a map and no one from the other side is there to fight...
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_10_Ed View Post
So let me get this straight.... They have made PvP consensual but they wont do the same with deep space encounters? Am I the only one who sees the problem there? Whats the difference between being forced into combat with a computer and being forced into combat with another player? They should go in one direction or another, but the current approach seems somewhat bi-polar schizo....
Every RPG I've played has had random encounters of some sort dating all the way back to Final Fantasy. Even in games like WoW or CoH you risked running into enemies while traversing the game world but they were avoidable if you were careful just as they are here. Don't go AFK in transit and you should be able to avoid Deep Space encounters just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-11-2010, 08:40 PM
The suggestion that this consensual PvP quote was a reply to is how faction PvP in Guild Wars: Factions works. The PvE world map is partially split between two factions. Depending on which side has been winning matches more, certain outposts on the map fall under the control of one side or another. There's no PvP fighting in those PvE outposts, both sides can still intermingle but vendors may refuse service to the faction not in control. The PvP maps switch whenever the zone of influence skews back or forth and maps closer to the heart of one side are advantaged toward that side but the opposite side can potentially gain more reward for winning.

This moreso than the open PvP zones we saw in City of Heroes feels like it would be more immersive in a Trek game. The Federation is at war with the Klingons, having a sector or two that goes back and forth with each victory would be fairly interesting. Taking the fight all the way to Earth or Qo'nos is probably a bit much but the Neutral Zone could be a great contentious spot, they're fighting for every dustball planet in that area one at a time.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Basically, it means that someone can't ever be attacked without somehow having agreed to it. So yes, we might do PvP zones...but you'll be notified while entering that the zone is open PvP. Believe me, I badly want open PvP zones.
Uh, yeah. You and everyone else. PvP fleets that were huge at start of first month are down to a few people left playing. Shame. The pvp gameplay mechanics are fun.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-11-2010, 09:10 PM
PvP is the life blood of any mmo.

The real joy in EVE was the non-consensual PvP. You are in a starship, with heavy weapons, you should either handle yourself in combat or find another line of work.

I think a dose of "realism" would help this situation. If a klingon goes (i.e. makes it to Sol) he would have a difficult time when the Starfleet guys are notified that there is an intruder in the Sol system, Cryptic could even put npc planetary defense array out there.
The more sandbox a game gets the more the imagination of the players is involved. Cryptic should give us the tools and let us come up with our own tactics and strategies, acting only as a referee who steps in if things get *truly* out of hand or out of balance.

I am pleased to hear a dev so committed to what I think is a great course to set for STO: Open PVP Zones. I have had a complete ball in Borg Hunt, and trust me when I say it wasn't because of 5 marks of honor.

Cryptic could also hybridize the pvp/pve modes by allowing weaker Feds to pve in areas their braver counterparts have conquered. There would still be some danger (enemies could gate in on a percentage chance) while they were doing their missions. I think it would be epic to have a klingon ship show up and your Boffs contacting you to that effect, beam back up, fight the ship (and if you are still alive) beam back down and finish the mission.

There is an unlimited amount of potential, and I would like to again take this opportunity to thank Cryptic for making this MMO, it is a framework for what I feel will become the definitive Star Trek experience.

Yours in Laughing Murder PvP Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
thank you jack, open pvp zones = the win there should be some kinda reward there other then pvp aswell, it would make the non die hard pvp'er want to enter the zone aswell. like a few special quests that you would need your fleet with you to help you complete
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
thats what i want to hear all day long
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbleskin View Post
thank you jack, open pvp zones = the win there should be some kinda reward there other then pvp aswell, it would make the non die hard pvp'er want to enter the zone aswell. like a few special quests that you would need your fleet with you to help you complete
Why does there need to be some reward to make people that don't really like to PvP enter the zone? If PvP fun, why do you have to tempt people in to do it? Don't need to bait easy prey in, PvP against the people that are in it for the PvP, it's much better than killing inexperienced folks.

Believe me, you think the nerf whines are bad now, wait until experienced PvPers are keeping people that don't like PvP from getting some reward that they can't get any other way... You really don't want to lure people in that don't enjoy PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Having a frontline with open PvP sounds like a fine idea. Just one sector block can be spared for that, maybe more if the Romulan faction were made available. I'd just want to make sure that before you enter the zone, it not only has a message telling you to zone in, but the message includes a warning that you're about to get killed a couple of times. No problem.