Lt. Commander
So I just got finished watching an episode in Season 5 of TNG. In this episode, I finally got a look at what the Crystalline Entity is by canon. Needless to say I was very surprised by what I found. This is what I found:

1. Starfleet prioritized establishing communication with the entity over destroying it.

2. It only took a continuous resonating pulse to destroy the entity, yet...

3. ...20 starships giving the entity all they got will continously die without any real hope of defeating it, plus the entity continously spits out shards, which the entity in the show never did.

I know that "fun" comes before sticking strictly to lore, but who here wouldn't prefer the entity to be closer to lore in this instant? I mean, the entity doesn't even look the same as it does in the show.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-12-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't know what's "fun" about trying to coordinate with 15 idiot feds who keep saying in Zone "line up!" and sit 2km away from the CE. Large shard comes out and vaporizes them all, health goes to 40%.. they still don't listen.

They should shard it tbh, I'd much rather be able to gang up with others who know how to defeat it than wait hours for non-idiots to show up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1980 View Post
So I just got finished watching an episode in Season 5 of TNG. In this episode, I finally got a look at what the Crystalline Entity is by canon. Needless to say I was very surprised by what I found. This is what I found:

1. Starfleet prioritized establishing communication with the entity over destroying it.

2. It only took a continuous resonating pulse to destroy the entity, yet...

3. ...20 starships giving the entity all they got will continously die without any real hope of defeating it, plus the entity continously spits out shards, which the entity in the show never did.

I know that "fun" comes before sticking strictly to lore, but who here wouldn't prefer the entity to be closer to lore in this instant? I mean, the entity doesn't even look the same as it does in the show.
Another case of not reading mission or ops text and just jumping into the fight. IF you actually READ the ops briefing, you would see that you are told that this entity is very different than the one encountered by Enterprise-D, including the fragments.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugal317 View Post
I don't know what's "fun" about trying to coordinate with 15 idiot feds who keep saying in Zone "line up!" and sit 2km away from the CE. Large shard comes out and vaporizes them all, health goes to 40%.. they still don't listen.

They should shard it tbh, I'd much rather be able to gang up with others who know how to defeat it than wait hours for non-idiots to show up.
By the way, I'm one of those guys that tells people to get close to the entity (around 2km) and max power to weapons. But then again, any CE instance I'm in will kill it in under 10 minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansbrix
Another case of not reading mission or ops text and just jumping into the fight. IF you actually READ the ops briefing, you would see that you are told that this entity is very different than the one encountered by Enterprise-D, including the fragments.
Okay, quick to assume are we. To be honest, I've read the CE quest only once, which was over a month ago. With as many quests the game offers, things I read in real life for both pleasure and for business, you can't really expect me to remember such a small block of text read over a month ago, do you?

I'd appreciate it if you're going to reply to my post, to reply to the whole thing. It's easy to be selective and reply only to what you can counter, but what say you about the Dr. on Enterprise D using a continuous resonating pulse to defeat the entity? You do know how much sense that makes don't you? Since it's made of crystal and is vulnerable to intense vibrations?

Don't get me wrong, this isn't another CE complaint post. I WANT hard content, but I also want it to make sense and stick to canon when it makes sense to do so. I can understand a CE vaporizing my away team, but 20 ships? Get real.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
By the way, I'm one of those guys that tells people to get close to the entity (around 2km) and max power to weapons. But then again, any CE instance I'm in will kill it in under 10 minutes.
Big talk on the forums, but can you prove it? I'll meet you in game and we'll see if we win while you're in the group. After all, you did say "any CE instance I'm in will kill it in under 10 minutes."
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Okay, quick to assume are we. To be honest, I've read the CE quest only once, which was over a month ago. With as many quests the game offers, things I read in real life for both pleasure and for business, you can't really expect me to remember such a small block of text read over a month ago, do you?

I'd appreciate it if you're going to reply to my post, to reply to the whole thing. It's easy to be selective and reply only to what you can counter, but what say you about the Dr. on Enterprise D using a continuous resonating pulse to defeat the entity? You do know how much sense that makes don't you? Since it's made of crystal and is vulnerable to intense vibrations?

Don't get me wrong, this isn't another CE complaint post. I WANT hard content, but I also want it to make sense and stick to canon when it makes sense to do so. I can understand a CE vaporizing my away team, but 20 ships? Get real.
Nate - Rather defensive are we? Seriously, if you're going to actually take the time to post on a subject like this, you should probably take the time to read the mission text available to you. And yes, you ARE expected to read it and remember it IF you're going to post about it. I am familiar with the episode of TNG. What part of the mission text of "this entity is different from the one that Enterprise-D encountered" did you not understand? I would consider having to use weapons on it and it using fragments on us "different" than the Enterprise-D encounter.

As for killing it in under 10 minutes, i can guarantee it if we have 10 players or more and they follow my 5 rules. Hit me up for an invite when you see @hansbrix in game, and I'll show you what it's all about.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Nate - Rather defensive are we? Seriously, if you're going to actually take the time to post on a subject like this, you should probably take the time to read the mission text available to you. And yes, you ARE expected to read it and remember it IF you're going to post about it. I am familiar with the episode of TNG. What part of the mission text of "this entity is different from the one that Enterprise-D encountered" did you not understand? I would consider having to use weapons on it and it using fragments on us "different" than the Enterprise-D encounter.

As for killing it in under 10 minutes, i can guarantee it if we have 10 players or more and they follow my 5 rules. Hit me up for an invite when you see @hansbrix in game, and I'll show you what it's all about.
Now you're changing it from "any instance I'm in will complete the CE" to "...if there are 10 people that follow my rules..." Well, if I had 10 people who followed my rules, I could complete the CE too, lol.

Also, I have every right to be defensive when you come into my thread and are offensive. Funny how that works.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Big talk on the forums, but can you prove it? I'll meet you in game and we'll see if we win while you're in the group. After all, you did say "any CE instance I'm in will kill it in under 10 minutes."

Exhibit A: Low quality -
killing it with randoms in 6 mins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VthuFmCA6d0

Exhibit B: Better quality -
Killing it with randoms in 7 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp3Wbmb-reg Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xa3DOTL6eY Part 2

Watch. Learn. Apply.

Incidentilly, personal record with randoms is 3 minutes. Soloable in 40 minutes with the right setup of a Science vessel/captain.

Currently testing the revamped one on Tribble. Current strategy doesn't work for soloing it since it's now -2 instead of -27 to a RA5 and I can't out DPS the natural 3% regen every 30 seconds with what I've been using.

Messed around with it for a half hour or so last night for the first time.While at work, I thought of a possible solution to out DPSing the regen. If it works, I can't wait to farm MkX blues.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Update: I got the Admiral level "Tribble" server CE down to 97% before the regen kicked in back to 100 with my new method.

My existing method which currently shreds it only got MAYBE to 98%. Barely.

This is without skills invested properly and only using mk Vii common items. I have a feeling it will work.