Lt. Commander
# 711
03-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Doh123,

Just wanted to drop in and say that I have been using your port since launch and have been very happy with it.

I tested out 40b last night and it worked like a charm. The fonts in chat looked better and it felt zippier. The only graphics glitch I noticed, that I had not seen before was while at the Sol Station some of the other players would appear with no upper chest. I could see their legs, arms and heads, but the torso area was just not present. It was intermittent and more prevalent when running. I don't spend much time in that zone anyway, so I think 40b is a keeper for me.

Details:
MacBook Pro 3,1
OSX 10.6.2
6GB RAM
GeForce 8600M GT

Keep up the great work!!
Lt. Commander
# 712
03-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxxis View Post
The only graphics glitch I noticed, that I had not seen before was while at the Sol Station some of the other players would appear with no upper chest. I could see their legs, arms and heads, but the torso area was just not present. It was intermittent and more prevalent when running.
wow, thats freaky.... we'll see if anyone else reports that issue too.
Lt. Commander
# 713
03-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I've had a few problems with test 40b.

First, the mouse-look behavior is different. Normally when i left-click and drag with my mouse, only the camera turns but the character stays pointed the same way. Right-clicking turns both the character and the camera. In 40b both left and right-clicks do exactly the same thing. This is on the ground only, in space everything seems normal.

Second, on the ground using the arrow keys to turn no longer turns the camera, it only turns the character. Again space is normal.

Another thing I've noticed that the "camera type" option isn't sticking if I change it, it always reverts to "free camera". With the regular version switching to free camera doesn't cause the behavior I'm seeing. I'm actually not quite sure what that option is supposed to do.

Sorry if I'm not precise enough.

iMac 7,1
2.8GHz intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
OS X 10.6.2
ATI Radeon 2600HD, 256 MB RAM
Tested both with GLSL enabled and disabled (though I'm not sure that's got anything to do with it)
Lt. Commander
# 714
03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
thats odd... does it continue to work? did you try enabling GLSL? Are you using Test40b or Beta4? For me Test40b has been running very well and may become Beta5... or maybe I'll just call it 1.0 and drop the beta thing.
Yes, continues to work all day yesterday and into today. Did nothing different, did not enable GLSL, changed no settings whatsoever wrote my post, minimized Safari and desperately tried to launch it again and... wallah it didn't freeze. I am using Beta4, though with your kind words on Test40b, might switch to it shortly.
Hm, Beta4 works REALLY well though (above my expectations) once I got it going yesterday. I currently have everything in the game at max settings (everything that is possible while under wine, that is).

I can't thank you enough for this
Lt. Commander
# 715
03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
I've had a few problems with test 40b.

First, the mouse-look behavior is different. Normally when i left-click and drag with my mouse, only the camera turns but the character stays pointed the same way. Right-clicking turns both the character and the camera. In 40b both left and right-clicks do exactly the same thing. This is on the ground only, in space everything seems normal.

Second, on the ground using the arrow keys to turn no longer turns the camera, it only turns the character. Again space is normal.

Another thing I've noticed that the "camera type" option isn't sticking if I change it, it always reverts to "free camera". With the regular version switching to free camera doesn't cause the behavior I'm seeing. I'm actually not quite sure what that option is supposed to do.
sounds like normal camera movements for certain camera options... I haven't noticed the problem.... but its possible that its always been there and I haven't used Windows (at all for anything...) since I got this working. If your camera settings aren't changing, thats probably what the problems is... i'll switch mine around a lot to test when i get a chance to play and see if i can figure anything out.
Lt. Commander
# 716
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I realized my post was unclear so I editited it a bit.

My tech specs

2.4 ghz dual processor
4gb ram
8600m GT

I'm running on the b version of wine. As soon as I get past the laucher I get an error warning me that my graphics aren't up to date. The error gives me the option of lowering my graphics settings in which case it crashes or running with regular graphics, in which case it crashes faster.

I tried loading in safe mode off the launcher and nothing changed.
Lt. Commander
# 717
03-12-2010, 03:23 PM
eh.. just noticed i left all the window manager stuff disabled in test40b ... if you wanna run in a virtual desktop and actually have movable window, you need to re-enable them in winecfg for now.
Lt. Commander
# 718
03-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Try playing with AA off, or AA off on he launcher at least.... see if its different.

Also, some video cards may have issues with the AA in general, as others have started crashing at the same place... he other person posting was on a 8600 which is close to the 8800 driver wise...

Here is a couple things to test if you do not mind...

run WineskinSettings.app, go in Advanced, and Wineskin Tools.
Run regedit. in that go to current user, software, wine, Direct3D
look for the entry labeled "Multisampling" and change the "enabled" to "disabled"
then see if the game works...
if it does you'll have to use the /renderscale fix for the graphics bug as AA will not be available.

Make sure in that same place that useglsl is still disabled too... having that enabled causes a crash exactly like you describe..
Ok maybe I'm going crazy but the only entries I see are (default), UseGLSL, and Vertexshadermode
Lt. Commander
# 719
03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I had previously tried the 40a build but it wouldn't even hit the launcher. Kept crashing.

But I've since installed the 40b build and I'm having no issues at all. In fact, I had been crashing in game a lot with the last beta build since Friday's patch. But I haven't crashed once with the 40b. Looks good to me.

Just for reference:

2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, X1600 video card, 1GB RAM iMac.
Lt. Commander
# 720
03-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Quote:
sounds like normal camera movements for certain camera options... I haven't noticed the problem.... but its possible that its always been there and I haven't used Windows (at all for anything...) since I got this working. If your camera settings aren't changing, thats probably what the problems is... i'll switch mine around a lot to test when i get a chance to play and see if i can figure anything out.
...and it's back to normal today. I logged on this morning intending to record exactly which options 40b misbehaves with, but it won't do it now. Movement is normal and when I select options they stick now. Yesterday the problem persisted through 3 restarts, but today I can't repeat it.

The camera issue I was having does sound like something which might be a normal option (though I can't figure out what does that; "free camera" doesn't). I tried to duplicate the turning behavior, but if I set "Always Face Forward" to "Off" then instead of the character rotating independently of the camera (as it was doing yesterday), the camera rotates independently of the character.

I can't find any option which causes the character to turn on a left-click and drag.

Basically I can't find any options in the STO in-game UI which might cause the odd behavior, and can't repeat the behavior even though the only thing I did differently was wait overnight. I haven't looked to see if there might have been something enabled through text. The only oddity today is that my graphics settings were reverted to the game's default when I first logged in today, but my changes have been sticking since then.

Also, I'm not sure if I was unclear, but I wasn't referring to differences between 40b and running STO on Windows -- I meant that 40b was behaving differently than Beta4. But now it's not >.<
Closed Thread