Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK0 View Post
Your assumption and prognosis are both incorrect.

The problem with your statement is you don't know me and you attempt to claim knowledge and concepts that are far beyond your reasoning.

My purpose for putting this post on is to request people to just stick it out rather than waste everyone's time.

While there may be a few who seek the challenge of balanced combat seldom in combat is there balance, ask any former Iraqi soldier. I have found in many cases that these people leave and then the other teams starts to leave and more people show up.

With the new system (Kudos Cryptic) of not having opposing players displayed on the map, a game of hide and snipe actually becomes more viable. A true challenge is when you have a group against a single opponent who proves to be capable of taking them all on with some measurable chance of victory.

But even in a no win situation, every battle can be a learning experiance.

Please never associate my name with WoW again, I told the child molesting lead developer what I felt about his game at Blizzcon after they unveiled what I considered the total loss of viability for intelligent players.

Back to the topic hand...

There is no reason to leave a game, even if you are outnumbered; if anything it gives a good player a chance to try new tactics or at least hone old ones. When I am outnumbered I stay and my goal is to ensure that the enemy earns each and every kill of me. Sometimes the kill is easy for them, like when I respawn 3 feet from the group, other times they have to hunt me down. If I can take one of them out so much the better.

Numbers does not always predict a win, if you have a group and one straggler; that one straggler can cost you the game; as a singleton; that one straggler is my primary target because while I may not be able to take on 4 players working together, I can probably take one player soloing away from the group.

My only intent is to ask people to not waste other peoples time, especially when the greatest challenge and most rewarding challenge may be what is given you.
You lost as soon as you tried to compare PVP to real life warfare.

I can argue that when you are on a team of 5 and going against 1 you could just hold back and wait. You could take turns sending one of your team against the sole guy. There are so many options for this but the only one you seem to choose and see is the "take a death" one. Myself, depends on my mood, sometimes I stay and fight, sometimes I "toy" with the team of 5 and tease them, and sometimes I just leave to find a better game.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-10-2010, 12:14 AM
There is absolutely nothing fun about being someone punching bag, especially when someone is spamming emotes like a jerk, celebrating his five on one victory. F-that, I'm not giving them the satisfaction of finishing the game and giving them easy xp.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-10-2010, 07:19 AM
I'll generally stick it out, even if I'm vastly out-numbered. With a little luck, I can pull off some expose/exploit kills on the ground, and sometimes can even come out on top against a couple less experienced players attacking at the same time. I know I won't win ever match, and that I'm pretty much guaranteed to loose if I'm on the less populated side of a 5v1, but there's no sense in making everyone else in the match suffer because of the problems with the queues. I WILL, however, leave a match if the other side decides to be poor sports and sling insults because a vastly outnumbered team cannot overcome them -- you folks can get your kills from someone else.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Space battles. to 15 points, I won't quit. Ground is another matter. I have no interest in staying through 40 kills in a vastly uneven game.

Reduce the silly 40 point condition! 15 was maybe too low, but 40 is way too high.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I've always hung around to the bitter end myself.

And I never, ever, making mocking emotes in PVP. I consider it rude and hardly a good way to build the PVP community.

/e Salute
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igax View Post
You lost as soon as you tried to compare PVP to real life warfare.

I can argue that when you are on a team of 5 and going against 1 you could just hold back and wait. You could take turns sending one of your team against the sole guy. There are so many options for this but the only one you seem to choose and see is the "take a death" one. Myself, depends on my mood, sometimes I stay and fight, sometimes I "toy" with the team of 5 and tease them, and sometimes I just leave to find a better game.
Had something like that myself this morning...one guy fed side was content to stand off and let me take on one of his 4 buddies...sadly the 4 decided it wasn't fair I was still winning when that happened so they dogpiled me to an epic 8 deaths before anyone else joined the match...it was 2 to 8

Klingons won the match 15 to 11 once the sides even'd ...
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niblik View Post
I've always hung around to the bitter end myself.

And I never, ever, making mocking emotes in PVP. I consider it rude and hardly a good way to build the PVP community.

/e Salute
I am the same way.. there been a few times where I was either the only Fed or end being the one left, because people quit earlier against 4 or 5 klinks,.. I still stay to end and fought them out of respect, even though I try to tell them on the other side it just me.. which some of them do not care.

However, there a few times, where I was alone against a group of 4 or 5 klings, where we agree to take turn one vs one, or two vs one..and we share comments and notes on tactics. These kind of groups with these type of pvp players who does this have my greatest respect, because they believe in fair play.

I stay regardless, how many are against me.. no matter how many times I died.. because each encounter is teaching me and I am trying to learn using different tactic/setup/abilities, so when I do get into 3 or 5 against 1, I may survive and last longer and longer. I consider it a testbed to learn and gain experience.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilawpilath View Post
And I do agree, if you get stuck in a situation where you can't win because it's 5v1 (ESPECIALLY in ground) just stick with it. It's still Exp. Still credit towards your missions..
My first few PVP experiences were like that. Ground combat. Really outnumbered. Once I got past that, and realized that I still get EXP, still get mission credit, I stopped being so flustered by it. And started having a bit more fun. Yes, it's way more fun when both sides are more evenly matched so everyone can have a challenge and engaging experience.

But when it's lopsided, oh well. Even losing gets me one step closer to that reward I'm collecting medals for.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-11-2010, 01:22 PM
meh feds no longer stick around to finish the current battle, they have started disconnecting to avoid death and reconnecting only to start nice and fresh at the spawn point.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-13-2010, 11:22 AM
I really enjoyed ground PvP for a long time. I have multiple characters that only did ground PvP, and I would play for hours on end.

Then the crowd control started to take over.

Now you have people who build to take as much crowd control as possible, and teams who turn up with so much of it that you almost never get a chance to do anything before you're held, held, held, rooted, weapon malfunctioned, exposed, dead.

This is not fun.

On top of that, some people then mash button 3 attacks to keep you held until exposed after holding you with some other ability.

This is even less fun.

So, no, I am not going to go 1 vs 5 against teams who do this to me - I'd rather quit out and go find another fight that is more even. I'm not here to give five people their 40 kills, I'm here to have fun and interesting fights.

If the queue system is fixed and crowd control toned down a lot, I'd have no reason to ever quit a ground PvP match - win or lose, I'd at least be playing even sides and able to do something most of the time.

Currently though, I'll quit games that are not fun for me, and I will not fault the players on either side who do the same, or choose to wait for more team members before respawning.

Edit for poor typing