Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lt. Commander
# 1 Environment Art Feedback
03-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Before I get started on my feedback for STO Environments I want to quickly mention my background. I have been a game developer for around 8 years. In that time I have worked on 3 Star Trek Games, a Star wars game and a slew of other games serving as a Senior Environment Artist. I have played this game since beta and am working on my second character. I really like the game overall, i think what these guys banged out in 18 months was pretty amazing. However now that the game is live and the dev team seeks to improve their work, I would like to take some time to go over some things that have been on my mind the last month or so. This discussion will only be about the interior environments. Starbases, space stations, starships, underground bases, caves, that sort of thing. This is my personal area of expertise so this is what I will focus on.

To start I would like to establish the term dungeon set. A Dungeon set is a set of models that an artist can use to construct any type of dungeon in a specific theme. For example the Memory Alpha set. It comprises of walls, floors, hallway segments, room segments, computer terminals, chairs, tables, whatever. However they have it set up, it would be modular so that just about any form could be constructed using it. This method is used a lot on MMOs because it allows artists and designers to quickly bang out new dungeons mixing and matching parts of sets.

Federation Starship Set.
The first dungeon set that you see in the game is a federation cruiser set. For the most part I liked the set itself. I think of the federation interiors, this is probably one of the best. However this set does have windows and that poses a special problem that I think developers need to pay attention to. That is you can look out these windows and potentially see the insides of other rooms. That can really break the illusion for a player. The first time I noticed this problem was in a mission where I had to beam over to a crippled Miranda class and take out some videans. the first part of the mission has you scanning some rooms. one room had two large windows and out that window i could see the room that i originally arrived in. This brings me to my second comment on these window pieces. That is these are a perfect opportunity for vistas. Places to show some exterior ship parts, warp engines, saucers, etc. seeing a part of the ship up against a nebula and a starfield will really sell that interior, and it looks awesome. Other things I ran into included floating consoles in engineering. A large computer bank had been snapped to a floor piece, but the floor drops a foot or so making the console hover over part of the floor. Another spot had 2 small consoles sitting on top of each other causing some serious z-fighting. Also, in some spots the hallways doesnt snap to the room its attached leaving a little seam. A stick-on door-frame might cover this is there is no provision for snapping in the world building tools. Other then this though, I love this set and I hope to see it in my own ship at some point.

Klingon/Hostile Enemy Ship Set
This set is even better then the federation ship. It also has windows so alot of the above commentary also applies here, but in this set you have some very nice lighting effects. Alot of detail in the floors, walls, ceilings. the Hallway segments of this set are my personal favorite of any set. the lighting coming from the ceiling is well done. I have to assume the dev team is using light maps because I have never seen that level of baked shadow detail in vertex lighting. Switch the lighting to yellow and you have an alien warrior race ship. Good stuff. In fact except for the window comments I have little else to say about this set except good job.

Memory Alpha Set
Quite possibly the worst set in the game. I hate to say that, but its really not that good. The environment map reflections are too overpowering. Every piece has it. there is no kind of depth to the pieces in that instance. The entire place is way over lit. There is simply too much light. the light cones have hard edges and therefore don't look like light cones, but some kind of bug. The hallways are especially problematic. The attempt to make the ceilings look like starfields fails mostly because there are pylons coming up to make a connection to the ceiling, but have no kind of solid connection. This makes them look like they are floating and therefore broken. But other then that, its just a bad idea to make them look like starfields. The design is also hard to navigate. The collisions for the doors are really not good. the curved stick on door frames create a collision situation that juts out into rooms and hallways making NPCs hang up on them and unable to follow the player. The solution IMHO to fixing this would be some rework and some touch ups to the texture as well as a pass on lighting. If this were handed to me the first thing I would do is remove about half of the environment mapped reflections. I would start adding areas on the texture that have little or none. masking out segments to provide some depth and making them look as if they are made of something tangible. Next i would remove that curved door-frame and make something else entirely. I would then go to the hallways, change the ceilings and walls. For the ceilings I would add some ribbing maybe, or something else interesting. Maybe add some kind of cool lighting opportunity there. For the walls I think I would try add more computer interface area. Make it look like its on a planet coated in computers. That means screens, blinking do-dads, moving lights, etc. The starfields just don't do it for me, it makes the how place look like it dedicated to stellar cartography. Lastly I do not mean to slam the artist (s) who did this set. I know that sometimes you are pulling mad hours and just don't have the time to spend on really making these pop, but at the same time, something has to be said.

Spacedock Set
This is my second on the list of sets I do not really like. My beef with this set isn't that its over-lit, or that its not friendly to players. It is solid. But there are some weird texture choices. There is a lot of that environment mapped reflection. It doesn't feel like the federation cruiser set. It feels more generic. Not only that but the base itself doesn't feel particularly grand. Its not awe inspiring as I would expect from the federation's top starbase. This place is the holy ground of federation captains. It should be one of the best bases in the game. Instead its kinda vanilla. Its aesthetics I guess. To fix it I think warmer lighting might be in order. Something on the order of what you see in Generations. Warm comfy lighting. more reds, more yellows, more of those TNG standards you see on the galaxy class. The textures just have a lot of weird breakup in them that make them look generic. The columns, the walls, the windows. Nothing says federation. Again Its a solid set, it just deon't look federation.

Deep Space Nine/Cardassian Set
Awsome set. NO real complaints. Probably the best set in the game. Quarks is really well done. Ops is great. Love the promenade. Lighting is good. I really have no crit for this place in the light of the other dungeon sets.