Lt. Commander
# 1 Exploration Missions
03-13-2010, 07:41 AM
This is really bothering me. Almost every exploration mission involves beaming down to a planet, scanning stuff, and killing more people than a ship could carry. Which means I am the most unlucky captain ever. Because everywhere I go there's a shipload of people waiting to kill me. Also, many feature beaming onto a base and killing everyone aboard. Why is this? It's murder. Plain and simple. These people have done nothing wrong. Even the random Romulan bases have done nothing to me other than having a base there. So what's the Starfleet response? Kill everyone for being in unexplored space. Why? I refuse to do these missions and be a murderer. If they attack me first fine, I'll fight them. But beaming onto a base for no reason and slaughtering people IS EVIL! Pure and simple.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Yes, we're the murderers of the Federation unfortunately, and yes..it doesn't feel nice.

Anyway why can't we just plot the position of the hostiles, or use ship's scanners instead, and have the ship bombard them from orbit?? Just a thought, it would make life easier, if not more palatable.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2010, 08:08 AM
The exploration missions need a drastic redesign.

I thought Starfleet was known for exploration? So why is it that any time I go into uncharted space the Klingons are all ready there? I'm tired of running into the enemies of the current episode arc in every exploration mission.

The exploration missions need to be about...exploration.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Yep, there have been many threads regarding this element of the game. My own included. It would be a lot more realistic if there were more non combat ones to at least make the randomised selection more random. Rofl. With 4 combat, 2 scan, 1 aid .. its amazing we get the scan and aid ones at all.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2010, 09:46 AM
But even the non combat ones are incredibly boring. Go here, press "F". Now go there and press "F".

Why not make missions have a detective feel? The story is already there. Many early missions have you go to a base to determine what happened, but it solves its self after you press "F"

How about something along the lines of "who attacked the base?" where you look at the logs and question the crew for clues. You can ask your BO for advice/input but in the end you have to determine who attacked and if you are wrong, you still "pass" the mission, but get a XP penalty or a diminshed reward.

And give us diplomacy! Allow us to solve disputes without the use of force. I get so tired of entering a system to encounter the following:
Species A: help! Species B are on our base and will not leave!
Starfleet: No problem, we'll just slaughter them all for you.

I also love how you contact Starfleet to inform them of your situation and hear the following:
"It is the Federations policy not to get involved in private disputes....aww screw it. Just kill the basterds
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds View Post
But even the non combat ones are incredibly boring. Go here, press "F". Now go there and press "F".

Why not make missions have a detective feel? The story is already there. Many early missions have you go to a base to determine what happened, but it solves its self after you press "F"

How about something along the lines of "who attacked the base?" where you look at the logs and question the crew for clues. You can ask your BO for advice/input but in the end you have to determine who attacked and if you are wrong, you still "pass" the mission, but get a XP penalty or a diminshed reward.

And give us diplomacy! Allow us to solve disputes without the use of force. I get so tired of entering a system to encounter the following:
Species A: help! Species B are on our base and will not leave!
Starfleet: No problem, we'll just slaughter them all for you.

I also love how you contact Starfleet to inform them of your situation and hear the following:
"It is the Federations policy not to get involved in private disputes....aww screw it. Just kill the basterds

Yep thats my suggestion exactly. There are alot of people out there that want more variety and more choice. I don't mind killing mobs now and then but every single fight ? rofl.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Cryptic announced better exploration / non combat content in July. Meanwhile, I read that the relief missions will be improved and another exploration mission type will be added to the star clusters (in Common Ground I suppose). Not as fast as I would like but the devs explained that they wanted to finish the raidisodes before starting working on exploration.