Lt. Commander
# 1 HELP with account set up
03-11-2010, 09:10 PM
hi all

ok so i bought the collectors edition of the game and it says it comes with free 30 days of game time..and yet when i put my cd key on the site it then askes for subskription thingy...but i dont have a credit caRD .....besides why do they need me to pay to play the FREE 30 days?

how can i play my free 30 days ???????
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2010, 09:31 PM
You'll need to create a subscription (credit card, paypal, or gamecard) to play the game.

Once you create the subscription you'll get the 30 days of play with the retail game purchase. You can cancel the subscription before the 30 days are up (right after creating it for example).

Retail game purchase - part 1
Subscription setup - part 2

Play game
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2010, 09:50 PM
you can use a credit card or paypal account to setup as the future payment method for the subscription or you can apply a game time card.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusMD
you can use a credit card or paypal account to setup as the future payment method for the subscription or you can apply a game time card.
so what your saying is the free 30 days really isnt free
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadVibe View Post
You get 30 days of play when you buy the retail game and create a subscription. The subscription charge doesn't occur until after the 30 days is up and you can cancel the subscription before hand.

Quote:
Subscription Required - 30 Days Game Time Included With Purchase
Don't worry, you are not the first or last to ask about the 30 "free" days.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2010, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadVibe View Post
Yes, they are free, or at least fully included with the box purchase. You just have to meet certain prerequisites to access them, one of those is that you're able to provide paypal or creditcard details. If you cannot, then you must provide a gametime card to unlock your 30 free days.

Either way the 30 days themselves are free. If you use paypal or creditcard you won't be charged until the end of your 30 days, and you're free to cancel at any time before that. If you rely on gametime cards then you have no choice but to pre-pay an additional 60 days on top of your 30 days free game time.

It's a standard business practice in MMO's to require subscription payment details before account activation. I estimate about 90% (if not more) of current MMO's uses this practice. Some exceptions exist, but they're mostly by EU-based companies. I don't say I condone this practice - in fact I hate it, as I now have a 1 euro authentication charge sitting in my paypal account, which wasn't necessary as I plan to switch to GTC's for the long run anyway. But hey, it's just another fact of life.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-14-2010, 08:26 AM
That also confused me when I set up my subscription during launch. I think Cryptic should have notified everyone before the launch date. It took me nearly 2 days before finding a retailer that had game cards in stock.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanMax
That also confused me when I set up my subscription during launch. I think Cryptic should have notified everyone before the launch date. It took me nearly 2 days before finding a retailer that had game cards in stock.

It's like this with all major MMO's. They all use the same wording on the box. It could be made a lot more clearer, but it isnt up to the developers. It's up to the publishers, and they all use the same wording.