Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuber
The human mind is truly wonderous and mysterious. I believe we've barely cracked the surface of what it can do.

I have no information that can help, but good luck in your endeavors. I hope someone with prospects does respond.

If I had to take a wild guess at possibilities... is there perhaps a chance that he they might be able to find work with the government in some sort of an analysis or even codebreaking role? Or perhaps find a way to get in with the local universities and schools and see how someone with their talents might be able to help in a research capacity?

Just thinking about their abilities makes me wonder how well they'd do trying to translate whale or dolphin songs, for instance, especially being able to discern such changes in pitch and duration, etc.

Again, good luck.
These are some excellent offerings. Good job.

I knew a guy who had a Doctorate in Mathematics from Harvard ... his entire career and specialty was writing the code (in binary) that handled the guidance of missiles launched from a submarine ... dealing with thermal layers, sub-currents, and changing surface waves, atmospheric storms (all so it wasn't knocked off course).

Today, that's all moot because they use GPS guidance ... but those kinds of jobs are out there with the government in other areas, and this person probably would be a perfect fit. I just would be concerned about the security clearance and what hurdles he might have there.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinwu_one View Post
Zepeth,

Thank you for the detailed roles. At this time, he would need to work from home but he is very capable of you telling him what needs to be done and he is VERY goal driven. If you saw the pages and pages of his writing down the statistics on how to break the slot machine type games and that when he grades the students papers for his teacher, he loves to give them an "F" if the percentage is teetering on the cusp (all becasue they did sloppy work or forgot to put their name on the paper) - he has a sense of humor too.

Lt. Grace
Sounds to me like someone from the Nevada Gaming Commission should be looking at him with great interest.

There is somewhere that he will fit ... he just might have to wait until he's taken some deeper math and statistical classes from the local university.

There are sooo many places math, statistics, and probabilities can be used (and not necessarily in the programming field) ... its just a matter of finding it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-14-2010, 12:15 PM
This should be in ten forward...
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Popkornn,

I understand that this thread didn't belong in the STO discussion forum, but it as the largest forum where I could get the most views on this unique subject. I avoided Ten Forward as it seemed to focus on mini-skirts and such and I thought that just once, a posting in a different forum would be considered.

Anyway, I hope that this thread continues to get all the great suggestions and hopefully, someone who works in an industry that would consider this young man's gifts will actually see it in Ten Forward.

Respectfully, Lt. Grace
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Popkornn,

I understand that this thread didn't belong in the STO discussion forum, but it as the largest forum where I could get the most views on this unique subject. I avoided Ten Forward as it seemed to focus on mini-skirts and such and I thought that just once, a posting in a different forum would be considered.

Anyway, I hope that this thread continues to get all the great suggestions and hopefully, someone who works in an industry that would consider this young man's gifts will actually see it in Ten Forward.

Respectfully, Lt. Grace

I dont know if he has good memorization and spelling skills, but if he does...........MEDICAL CODING is where that boy needs to be.

He can work from home, by listening to (or reading) Drs and coding their procedures for billing. Aka Doc says "chest xray" would translate to (Completely made up here) 10-5-6. 10 for chest, 5 for lungs, 6 for x-ray. The only thing about it is he would need to memorize some hard medical terms and remember how to SPELL them properly.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-14-2010, 01:03 PM
CandymanCD,

OMG, he can do both - he has a photographic memory I believe. These are the types of suggestions that his parents would never have thought of!!! They have been trying to sign him up at the local college and trying to figure out if he can take 2 buses to get there and not even know what college is actually going to do for him.

Thank you everyone for these valid suggestions - I knew the STO community could think "out of the box" on this one.

Keep these ideas coming.

Sincerely, Lt. Grace
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Also, I have a silly question - Is there a way to print this thread to I can give all the suggestions to my friend, versus having to type all of them in a Word document? I have a feeling that we are going to have lots of ideas.

Lt. Grace
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
CandymanCD,

OMG, he can do both - he has a photographic memory I believe. These are the types of suggestions that his parents would never have thought of!!! They have been trying to sign him up at the local college and trying to figure out if he can take 2 buses to get there and not even know what college is actually going to do for him.

Thank you everyone for these valid suggestions - I knew the STO community could think "out of the box" on this one.

Keep these ideas coming.

Sincerely, Lt. Grace

Ummmmmm....on that note this DOES require a certification course that will take about 2-3 years, however that also can be done mostly from home (internet classes).

If memorization is his thing, he can make a lot of money in this field. You do not get paid by the hour (typically) you get paid by how many you complete correctly.

Anyway, I guess his folks would be the ones to determine if it is the right fit. Also medical billing, medical transcription, and medical coding are not the same thing, though closely related.

Edit: Ctrl+P will usually print the page.

Edit 2: The current medical coding book is ICD-9-CM 2010

Small example;

11 Operations on cornea
11.4 Excision or destruction of tissue or other lesion of cornea
11.41 Mechanical removal of corneal epithelium
That by chemocauterization
Excludes:
that for smear or culture (11.21)
11.42 Thermocauterization of corneal lesion
11.43 Cryotherapy of corneal lesion
11.49 Other removal or destruction of corneal lesion
Excision of cornea NOS
Excludes:
biopsy of cornea (11.22)

I do not do this for a living, but my neighbor does, so I am just the go-between for this stuff lol.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-14-2010, 01:15 PM
CandymanCD,

Thank you for clarifying the differences in the roles.

Regards, Lt. Grace
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
CandymanCD,

Thank you for clarifying the differences in the roles.

Regards, Lt. Grace
You can also click the 'Thread Tools' button at the top right and click the option for a printer friendly version.
(It will likely save you a ton of ink)