Lt. Commander
# 21
03-14-2010, 07:17 PM
I do them, they're fast and easy. Just keep the commodities in your bank, you can turn them in without going back to base.

Alternatively, because these missions "keep" you can accept a whole bunch, then move on to other missions. When you're in need of a few quick exploration badges, gather the commodities, head back to the right area, and turn in three of them one straight after the other.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-14-2010, 07:20 PM
i do them, i do get tired of those pew pew missions. Plus my character is suppose to be peaceful,
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-14-2010, 07:41 PM
I did one early on. It had its novelty, but the simplicty along with the unbalanced cost made it the last one I did (aside the one for that damned greedy Cardie on DS9).

People want non-combat missions that are engaging... like many of the diplomacy systems that have been suggested. They don't make you into a heavily-armed delivery truck. Besides, there's something... kind of useless-feeling about these missions. After all, this planet was able to call for help outside the system, wasn't it? The hell is stopping them from including in the help message what they wanted in the first place, so I could pick it up along with a side of fries on my way to deliver it?
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
No need to bash them or say you want to get rid of them just because you don't like them. I like them because I get tired of all the fight this and fight that missions. Refreshing to have something other to do than just blow stuff up and they are very easy.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJHpub
Does anyone actually do these missions? Personally I find then annoying and would not mind at all if Cryptic just got rid of them.
No, never, I warp out of sector the moment I see it's an Aid the Planet.

Only one I did was Temple Offerings, because it's storyline, and I think I'll probably drop the next one of those too.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJHpub
Does anyone actually do these missions? Personally I find then annoying and would not mind at all if Cryptic just got rid of them.
No I never do them.

It takes more time to actually go get the items they need, than to just skip it and do another mission. Totally pointless.

I just warp out as soon as I see it.

However, if you like anomolies, there are always like 4 or 5 of them in front of the planet. So you can collect them first before warping out if you want. But since I hate Memory Alpha with all my soul, I usually dont even bother with that either.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-14-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't do Aid the Planet missions. The cost is simply too high, and in a currency that it shouldn't be in - credits. The Federation doesn't use money. Starfleet doesn't use money. But, as a Starfleet Captain in the direct service of the Federation, we have to use our own money to buy Federation aid material for planets? No. Hell no. That's just poor design.

These missions should have a cost in merits that you get back (plus some) as part of the mission reward. Merits are in-game Federation/Starfleet currency, not credits. It honestly breaks immersion when you have to pony up thousands in your own money for a Starfleet mission.

And the fact that you can't use the Replicator to make the commodities astounds me. Whoever designed these missions definitely never watched the shows.

I'm all for non-combat missions, but when they're as poorly-thought-out as Aid the Planet missions are, I'd rather fight through another 5-group of mobs.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veet
Exactly. The aid missions could be better, but the player base is so all over the place with what they say they want it's a wonder that anything gets implemented at all.

Of course the response would be "we want non combat trek missions that are more interesting than aid the planet". But without a combat element involved there's only so much you can do.

It's pretty much a case of players not knowing what the heck they want.
I don't see it this way. We know what we want, we want more missions that might require us to think and work to avoid fighting - IE diplomacy and missions that could have us doing good for a planet.

BUT being told to 'bring me X of X' of something you rarely get as a drop so would have to keep all of the possible ones bought and in stock is probably the most simplistic, and as shown here, waste of time, they could have chosen.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayde View Post
If it ain't in my replicator, they're SOL.
^^This

/10char
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-14-2010, 10:32 PM
The easiest way to fix Aid the Planet missions would be to allow people to replicate the needed items from the replicator on their ship as needed.

They could make the cost slightly higher than finding a trader and people would then look at the trade off of going and finding a trader or paying for it then and there.

As it is, the time and effort to go find trader from the Gamma Orionis sector's exploration zone and then travel back is just too time consuming.