Lt. Commander
# 11
03-15-2010, 02:23 AM
The Tholians are in the same boat as the Breen, meaning they're xenophobic and reclusive. However, both races are not above negotiating and trading with other galactic powers if it somehow benefits them.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoblin256 View Post
The Tholians are in the same boat as the Breen, meaning they're xenophobic and reclusive. However, both races are not above negotiating and trading with other galactic powers if it somehow benefits them.
To take that a step further, it was mentioned in deep space 9 the Tholians signed a non aggression treaty with the Dominion. So we know they do engage in active, empire level diplomacy, even if its not center stage.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-15-2010, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
STO completely ignored the Gorn visual update from Enterprise, I don't see why they wouldn't ignore the Tholian one as well. Who knows what STO tholians would look like.

From what I hear, that particular "update" wasn't very well liked by anyone. I personally though it was a little pointless, and was more than a little arbitrary, considering that the basic design of the Gorn didn't need any actual messing with.
But, to defend my point further, the Gorn in Enterprise would technically be an earlier incarnation that what would appear even in TOS. So, in effect, their look in STO is in fact their "current" chronological appearance anyways, more or less.
And considering that pretty much every race in STO looks like what has been thoroughly established already, I'd think the designers wouldn't change the look of the Tholians at all. I mean, so far, out of all the arguments, flame wars, whining and complaining I've seen so far, no one's really complained about the actual physical looks of the races differing any from what everyone already is used to.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-15-2010, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT01 View Post
From what I hear, that particular "update" wasn't very well liked by anyone. I personally though it was a little pointless, and was more than a little arbitrary, considering that the basic design of the Gorn didn't need any actual messing with.
But, to defend my point further, the Gorn in Enterprise would technically be an earlier incarnation that what would appear even in TOS. So, in effect, their look in STO is in fact their "current" chronological appearance anyways, more or less.
And considering that pretty much every race in STO looks like what has been thoroughly established already, I'd think the designers wouldn't change the look of the Tholians at all. I mean, so far, out of all the arguments, flame wars, whining and complaining I've seen so far, no one's really complained about the actual physical looks of the races differing any from what everyone already is used to.
Your personal explanation is just, that, personal. Its not canon, as Trek canon is defined as what we see on screen. You can't just pick and choose arbitrarily based on what you like- thats just preference not canon. Enterprise updated the Gorn. They also Updated the Tholians, their ships, and a huge number of other things. So what I said was exactly right- cryptic chose to ignore the canon update of the Gorn, which was every bit as valid as the original ridge adding update of the Klingons in The Motion Picture, for no reason other than because they felt like it. Popularity doesn't enter into it- the update was featured on screen.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-15-2010, 03:38 AM
tholians are a sort of crystal based life form that cant live in our temperature so i dont think we will ever get to see them in game other than their ships

in saying that i remeber once sisko getting tholinan silk from a tholina ambassador so maybe they use some form of suit like the breen
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-15-2010, 04:11 AM
I would like to see the Tholians again, my guess is that it will start out as a set of encounters though, way before moving into the territory of a playable character. They are very reclusive, and have a tendency to be openly hostile at times. Additionally I heard that part 2 might be much better then the first Expanding Universe trailer.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-15-2010, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by movius View Post
Where are they now? Just wondering....
i was thinking about them last night at work. they should be playable, when brought in, and maybe they could try again what was done with Defiant in The Tholian Web
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-15-2010, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
tholians are a sort of crystal based life form that cant live in our temperature so i dont think we will ever get to see them in game other than their ships

in saying that i remeber once sisko getting tholinan silk from a tholina ambassador so maybe they use some form of suit like the breen
I personally wouldn't mind a cool encounter suit, like Ambassador Kosh in Babylon 5. The Tholians must have a way to leave their ships when they travel, otherwise it would be a bit pointless for them to travel in the first place. Ambassadors are usually not on their homeworld, another indicator they can somehow deal with other temperatures or enviroments. Its probably a long road, but it would still be cool to have them.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-15-2010, 04:31 AM
If STO gave the Tholians similar abilities to those they have in Starfleet Battles, they would make a fascinating opponents in starship combat.

Bring on the Tholians!