Lt. Commander
# 21
03-16-2010, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Please allow me to comment here.

The text you see in sector space on sector borders is not a localization issue, you will sadly also see it in the English client.
The signs in bases are related to this issue and can be seen in the English client as well.

Thanks much!
That is simply not true!
When I'm home i will do some Screenshots. I'm currently at work, so it has to wait until the evening.

Edit: So. Here are the Screenshots. As you can see. In the English Client, the Signs are ok. In the German Version you see only the path that leads to the Texturefile or something. This bug in the Game since the Beta. It has been reported many times, but nothing has changed!

http://www.abload.de/img/border_englishjxyu.jpg English Client

http://www.abload.de/img/border_germany94e.jpg German Client

http://www.abload.de/img/sign_starbase_englishw9w9.jpg English Client

http://www.abload.de/img/sign_starbase_german99hv.jpg German Client
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaotKirk View Post
Edit: So. Here are the Screenshots. As you can see. In the English Client, the Signs are ok. In the German Version you see only the path that leads to the Texturefile or something. This bug in the Game since the Beta. It has been reported many times, but nothing has changed!

That's what i mean.. Like MJ would have said: "I say it with love" but I don't understand why such a (in my eyes) simple bug (that really popped into everyones eyes) can't be fixed soon?! Or please tell me, what is the big problem with it? Maybe I am a unskilled guy and I don't understand how complicate the translations are?
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Michael Jackson would've said "get into my bed little child" actually...

Sorry but I really disagree with the whole posthumously turning nasty people into saints, it's just like jade bloody goody all over again
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper11188
-----QA most often, will not get the final say as to when something is released and in what state.----

That bit right there is the main flaw with most MMO developers/producers...in the MMO world, the tail wags the dog, and you get unpolished games thrown over the wall...QA should be there as a gatkeeper, otherwise, spend your money something else.
Unfortunately, this practice is not just limited to MMOs, but is a basically the rule rather than the exception in the industry. A few development houses are trying to change that paradigm however. Though there are still those that view QA as second-class citizens and are loathe listen to them. So it's not just going to be a process and pipeline change, but also a belief and values change.

@Cryptic_QA:

1. Typically the CS guys are not the go-to people from QA, but more people-friendly folks that can deal with customers. So why are the bug reports left for CS to compile before sending them to QA?

2. Isn't there a producer (most likely an AP) monitoring the exchange of anomalies from CS to QA to help prioritize and categorize the incoming issues?
Seems to me that this part of your workload is the most volatile. Smoke tests and sweeps should be known quantities by now (at least in man-hours). So the effects of this unknown quantity could easily toss a big ole monkey wrench into a schedule.
3. I understand that examples and workflow provided was at a high level, but it seems like there is a risk for lost data. Knowing how many people are reporting similar issues is a key piece of information, especially when prioritizing a task list.

4. QA is generally a thankless job. A whole lot of work, a ton of blame and none of the glory. It is a skilled position, and takes a certain kind of person to really understand QA and how it fits into the big picture.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I like the game but lets call it for what it is.

Unfinished. The anger being directed at Cryptic in part comes from a company putting out a game, charging for the game software and charging a monthly fee for a game access for a product that is as buggy as left over brownie at a picnic ground. I have personally filed more bug tickets in this game than in all the games I have play tested and played combined. And that is a lot.

That being said the issues are the canned responses, expected but still annoying, and the general sense that the QA group does not have the resources or staffing to knock these things out. At the very least the existing bugs that have been reported since beta should be gone by now. Instead I see old missions that used to work that are now broken in addition to the ones I have already reported.

I have taken the time to go back and retry the quests later , sometimes weeks later, to see if they were fixed only to find they still have the exact same issue. So while I enjoy the Star Trek mythos I find myself heartbroken that the game we have been given falls so short of even its own expectations.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper11188
-----QA most often, will not get the final say as to when something is released and in what state.----

That bit right there is the main flaw with most MMO developers/producers...in the MMO world, the tail wags the dog, and you get unpolished games thrown over the wall...QA should be there as a gatkeeper, otherwise, spend your money something else.
This is not an issue specific to MMO, or even the GAMING industry.

In fact, it isn't even a software specific issue (though it is obviously most prevalent in software)

Software will always have bugs. If someone has told you differently.... they are wrong.

That said, the best way to get any issue resolved is just to report it in game and give them as much information as possible. I work in software myself, have done QA and now work in development. When I get tickets with tons of relevant information... I can resolve them much more quickly than when I need to attempt to figure out what the actual issue being reported is.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanglor_Bazon

That said, the best way to get any issue resolved is just to report it in game and give them as much information as possible. I work in software myself, have done QA and now work in development. When I get tickets with tons of relevant information... I can resolve them much more quickly than when I need to attempt to figure out what the actual issue being reported is.
i think most of the devs would be happy if all the tickets were at least legible texts. describing the problem and / or no flames would be a nice bonus...

stumbling through the forum and basing the style of a ticket on the one used here, i pity those guys at cryptic, just like those at blizzard, who have to read some ppls writings.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-21-2010, 09:42 AM
I am a QA tester by profession at this time. It is my experience that developers have an emotional attachment to their code and wish testers would dry up and blow away. I am concerned with a portion of the Dev's first post:

"First off, I want to make the following explcitly clear, Cryptic Studios does not in any way "expect" our users to submit bug reports. This is an entirely voluntary process provided so that those users interested can submit both Feedback and any Issues they encounter."

I noticed that if i click HELP (it is called HELP, not Bug Report), it opens a little window that gives me a variety of choices regarding with what I need help. There are not very good general categories, but they will do for now. So I am in a mission that is bugged and cannot complete it. I receive a response from the GM or whomever, thank you for the BUG REPORT. What's the deal. I am not testing at home, that was a HELP link I clicked seeking HELP in my gameplay. When I look at the canned responses I receive when I submit a ticket, I know that Cryptic is expecting us to submit bug reports.

This game has good potential. The key here will be, can Cryptic keep enough players to support the game to get it there. Many of us have lifetime subscriptions, but I suspect there are many more monthly subscriptions that will just lapse as the game is fairly buggy and boring at the moment which is frustrating for many people. Half the folks I know that came through beta and the headstart have just let their accounts close. Not a good sign. Now, even the lifetime subscription people are talking about going to play something else and why did Star Trek give the rights to Cryptic who already has a bad reputation in mmorpg for city of heroes.

So they say QA testing is at the bottom of the priorities for Cryptic. Suggest they do more of it and fix their code before they promote it to production.
Lt. Commander
i have got 50 points on 1 caricter and 49 on anuther but cant go enny further so this is the q
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-25-2010, 11:28 PM
I am personally really glad you made this post, It's just common sense all of it really. But that sometimes gets lost in the heat of passion here on these forums!! lol. But for those of us that praise you, you know we are greatful. But even when people seem unhappy almost irattionally so, it makes no sense to be that unhappy and yet not go play another game. I think in general thats actually and amazing sign that there is real passion for this game no matter what "side" you are on. And passion has to be a good thing it's all just IMHO

I dont know if a lot of p[eople are feeling like me, the launch of "season 1" was a big event for me lol, it's really exciting to see how far the game has come in such a short time. I am genuinoley excited to be playing this patch it's almost like thawt "new game" feeling all over agian! I think the more you havbe opened up to us and made a larger presence her in the forums, many of us realised you were listening and not content until we were.

I actually feel(and i totally undestand it's not everboddy's thing believe me) that bug testing is a kind of fun on it's own, haha almost theraputic!. But yeah how can it not be fun to try and "break" something? It's not fun for everyone, but there are some of us think I know personally that actually enjoy it and see the benfits to all of getting invovled.This game is in good hands and I for one hope we can keep dialogue open like this as with a simple amount of respect and we could have alot of fun togther as creators and players of how fix and expand this game

"the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.." eh I tried!

Anywyays thank you for your efforts, to all of you. I have a good feeling about hwere this is going and i hope I am not alone.