Lt. Commander
I got home yesterday and fired up STO and for no reason the graphics are so messed up the game is unplayable.

I went from this:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/...7c2798f8_b.jpg

to this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2691/...0d2c0734_b.jpg

overnight.

there were zero driver or windows updates between when STO was working fine and now. I've upgraded video drivers and made certain the settings were at default. I've tried it without Eyefinity enabled. I've tried it without multi-monitor enabled. I've taken the resolution down as low as 1024 x 768. Tried Cold Reboots, warm reboots. Nothing has worked so far, and nothing was installed on the system prior to it happening.

I've tested other games: Guildwars is fine. Runes of Magic is fine. Dirt2 is fine. Even Titan Quest is fine. Running Eyefinity or not...

Video hardware is a Radeon 5770. Eyefinity resolution is 3840 x 1024. non-eyefinity resolution is 1280 x 1024.

sooo I'm at a big time loss for ideas here... anybody have any advice?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2010, 09:48 AM
i have the same card, all works fine, i would try a reinstall from drivers just to be sure, or maybe your card is broken.
good luck
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2010, 02:41 PM
I'll give that a go.. what I don't understand is why everything else is working just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Re-installed the drivers.. and totally reinstalled STO.. nada.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Check your card for physical annomalies.... ie. make sure none of the capacitors popped.

EDIT: but you state everything else is working normally. I chalk it up to: cryptic "did it again". OOPS. Their code is a huge mess.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-14-2010, 06:43 AM
I have 2 ATI 4870 x2's running crossfire. I have had no problems, beta until yesterday. Now my screen looks exactly like the screen shot you posted. All other games work fine, so I do not think it is a hardware problem.

I have updated drivers re-installed STO, taken cards out of crossfire etc etc no luck.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrah View Post
I have 2 ATI 4870 x2's running crossfire. I have had no problems, beta until yesterday. Now my screen looks exactly like the screen shot you posted. All other games work fine, so I do not think it is a hardware problem.

I have updated drivers re-installed STO, taken cards out of crossfire etc etc no luck.
I was running the same setup until I installed STO and one of my cards started running at 106 degrees celsius. I finally had to take one out and run a single 4870 setup. Everything was fine until just a couple of days ago. No serious graphic glitches, but now STO crashes and freezes my entire system ALL THE TIME. I'll try bringing up the task manager while STO is non-responsive and the whole system freezes requiring a hart reboot. Drivers are current, system is clean, the only virus running on my system seems to be STO.

It's getting progressively worse too. The system crashed 6 times from the first time I logged in a brand new Klingon toon till I finally got him into his BoP.

As a lifer I'm rather livid.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-16-2010, 08:10 AM
while I can't speak for everyone.. I *THINK* I found the problem...

cable tension preventing a secure connection...(how odd is that)

I was checking the physical monitor connections, and while it did not seem excessively so, there was some tension on the Display port adapter connection, I powered the system down, disconnected the monitor wires.. reconnected them and made certain there was *zero* tension on that display port.

the display port adapter.. is *HUGE* and rather heavy.. while it was not dangling, it *was* at a point under my desk where my feet may have hit it and created the tension... so I moved it and redid the connections.

it's been fine ever since... I don't *THINK* the DP adapter is bad but I'm watching it VERY closely to make certain. Apparently only STO was sensitive enough to the timing issues created by the problem to show extreme graphical distortion, so it has now become something of my "troubleshooter" game.