Lt. Commander
I've 3 RA5's (one of each) and all I can do are PuGs because my fleet's not into raiding, which is fine, I've had some really good PuG's, clearing the entire instance in just over 2 hours, often with only 1-2 deaths the entire time. However, I've run into some God-awful PuGs as well, with people who think they know what they're doing but have no clue and wipe the team intentionally because of their stupidity. The game mechanics of Infected are trivial to map, and once you've mapped them, the instance is trivial. For example:

1. Not all borg are attached to nodes. In the first room, that center group is attached to it's node, but the 2 roaming patrols on the right are not. If you step up, agro the patrol, and then also try to destroy the node, you have just agroed 2 groups unnecessarily (and if you stepped in far enough to get the node, you've agroed the 3rd). The patrol should be pulled back into the hall (You know, pulled? Like we've been doing in MMO's for the past 15 years?), around the corner and beat like a rented mule. Drop them, then long-shot pull the center group and, when they're near the hall, have someone who doesn't have agro step up and pop the node and JUST that node. Just because you can see a node does not mean you're fighting borg that are attached to it. There is absolutely no reason to die in the front halls. I've done it countless times with groups and not died once, it just takes a modicum of intelligence. The more borg you pull the more borg are beamed in, and soon you're facing 40+ borg, for no reason at all but stupidity.

2. If you're an engineer and aren't using fabrication and force domes, please delete your character and re-roll tactical. Seriously. If you're putting your turrets in the middle of the hall or room, in plain line site of the borg, delete your toon and go play checkers. Engineers are the crowd control of this zone. You bubble the door to lock them out and the tac and sci folks burn them down with aoe's. You put your terms to the sides of the door, or just around a corner, perhaps behind a cover shield, so the team gets benefit from them while the borg aren't 1 shotting them with orbital strikes. If you put them out in the middle you might as well just throw that kit away and make hypos for people, because that's hard to screw up.

3. If you're a science person trying to heal on any fight but the queen, you're in the wrong group. That's why Cryptic made hypos and batteries. Put on your Geo kit and help control the borg, you should only need to heal on the Queen. If anyone yells at you for not healing during the borg, tell them "then maybe you shouldn't have pulled 40, huh?" and put them on /ignore because they're an idiot. Again, been on all 3 classes in those halls and not needed a heal.

4. If you're a tactical and you're throwing grenades on the ledges are people are trying to jump, please just jump into the plasma and save us all the trouble. The #1 reason I see people missing jumps is because the entire ledge is covered in smoke, because some tactical didn't know what the heck he was doing. For the queen you should be using Squad Leader to give buffs to your team and heal them.

5. In space, please show some awareness of where you are and what you're doing. You don't NEED to agro all the trash, and it doesn't need to be killed. On my cruiser, I regularly snipe the tactical out from the pack and the group kills it without killing a single piece of trash. I regularly slip up to the gate, blow it down (often solo) without ever being shot by trash. It can be done, I do it in my sleep. I sit back amused while people are blown to pieces by the trash because they don't know what they're doing. Killing the trash is not an objective, it's an obstacle. That's like attacking the hurdle vs just going over it and going to the next one.

How to know if you have an idiot pug:
1. Are you still fighting at the first door on the starbase, even though you're fighting borg from the 2nd room?
2. Does your group ever say "Just let it reset" more than once:
3. Do you ever see > 20 Borg on the screen at the same time?
4. Do you seem to never have Eng terms up because they always get blown up quickly?
5. In space, to people seem to be dying a lot, leaving you there alone to deal with stuff as they fly back?
6. Do people say "I died, but I got the node?"

Flee this group. Pause to put them all on /ignore and flee them. You will be stuck in a 5 hour hellish nightmare of idiocy until you get to the queen and find out they can't jump, don't understand the mechanics, and leave you 1-2 manning the queen because they're all dead, then they'll still roll on the loot they "earned".

Leave the group in the first 15 min of it (no real loss), spin the wheel and try for a better Pug.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Im pretty sure that making so much sense on this forum can get you a 5 day ban or at least a warning.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kor_Dahar_Master View Post
Im pretty sure that making so much sense on this forum can get you a 5 day ban or at least a warning.
Please don't discuss moderation in my thread and get it locked
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Great post! Tell it how it is....b/c it really IS that bad sometimes.

I think b/c of the Star Trek name, this is the first ever MMO a number of players have played (same ones that don't real the forums). So the ideas of pulling, crowd control, tanking (well tanking in STO is well...you know), etc are foreign concepts to these new players. We all had to do this "learning" in MMOs as we played them but the issue with it in STO is that the learning BEGINS are RA5 as you can solo to that level pretty easily (even as a newb).
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I think they should simply allow us to replace the 4 glitched AI NPC's with our own away-team members. At least that way, I can stop them from shooting enemies I've held with my AoE hold (which breaks if you damage the target)
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixace View Post
Great post! Tell it how it is....b/c it really IS that bad sometimes.

I think b/c of the Star Trek name, this is the first ever MMO a number of players have played (same ones that don't real the forums). So the ideas of pulling, crowd control, tanking (well tanking in STO is well...you know), etc are foreign concepts to these new players. We all had to do this "learning" in MMOs as we played them but the issue with it in STO is that the learning BEGINS are RA5 as you can solo to that level pretty easily (even as a newb).
I'd like to think that, and I've met some really nice new people who openly admitted to not knowing, staying in the back and out of trouble, and I love teaching them the instance.

No, my problem is the idiots who swear they know the instance when they don't. For example, in the 2nd room there are 2 nodes, one in the middle and one right inside the door, to the left. Someone pulls the patrol (which can be done without agroing the next group, there is no co-agro), then reaches in to kill the inside node (because you have to, right?), which puts you close enough to agro the center group. You now have 3 groups on you, with tacticals popping protodrones. Or my favorite, engineers with good intentions running up and dropping terminals in the doorway, which instantly agros every borg in sight.

So how do you do it correctly, Mr Smartypants?
1. Set up in the middle of the prior room, WAY back from the doorway so splitbeams (*sigh*, really hate it when folks use split beams in crowded situations) don't accidentally grab borg.
2. Pull the patrol, on the right side. Kill them.
3. Have someone (ONE PERSON) climb up on the ledge so they can get LOS on the left door node and pop it to get attention, then run back.
4. Have someone who doesn't have agro from that pack kill the node while the rest kill the borg.
5. Have someone pop the node in the center of the room, pulling the borg from there
6. Have someone without agro pop that node.
7. Kill the patrol
8. Move to the next room without having to rez anyone or run back or reset or be chased back to the turret barricade.

Not Rocket Science.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I think they should simply allow us to replace the 4 glitched AI NPC's with our own away-team members. At least that way, I can stop them from shooting enemies I've held with my AoE hold (which breaks if you damage the target)
LOL, I could *SO* solo this instance with my BOffs, which is sad when my 'tarded AI BOffs are better than a PuG
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Currently the shield bug is killing my fun. Do you have any suggestions on how NOT to get stuck behind the shield after the virus is uploaded?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collision View Post
Currently the shield bug is killing my fun. Do you have any suggestions on how NOT to get stuck behind the shield after the virus is uploaded?
Stand back? I've never been caught by it, though that could easily be luck and I could be here pitching a fit in a few days, one never knows. I typically don't stand right next to it to upload but again, could be luck.

I've been caught inside the center field a few times, but that was intentional....I'm assuming Cryptic will take that away from me soon
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Last night, my Fleet ran through this, and we were getting stuck behind the shield even before we got it down. Somehow, one of our members plus a Borg were inside the shield before the rest of us even got on the platform to shut it down. We had to pull over a forth person just to get them out of the shield. That's a pretty serious bug if you ask me.