Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 1 Beam weps failing
03-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Any one else having this problem? here is my Q to a GM 2 days ago.

"doing Q under the cover of night, Political asylum, but now none of my beam weps work, started all right then they all went offline only leaving tops and mines.

Dont know what else to say was fighting the warbird and when she was down to 50%hull all my bean weps stopped working. This left me with only torps and mines but as i was unable to keep her shilds down, they were pointless. In the end i had to give in and let my self be killed. Once i respwaned all my weps were back up and working."

I cant see any debuff being put on me, still had 75% crew alive, and kept flying around for about 5 min before giving up to the inevertable. This has since happened on another Q when out on my own and to be honest is really killing my enjoyment. If it were a one off the so be it but its becoming more and more frequent for me. Is anyone else having this issue?

EDIT have just review combat log, no sign of any debuff being put on me. My weps are just greys out as if not in the right arc, (they are btw) when i just a skill on beam weps it just give a count from 30 to 0, but still cant use them.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2010, 02:37 PM
By "offline" do you mean stop working entirely or just reduced your dps to minimum? if it was the latter then your probably using too much power, at admiral in a cruiser i have 6 beam weapons and it drains my weapons quite quickly when attacking with a broadside.

The best way to stop this is with "EPS flow regulators" that will reduce your drain to weapons, weapon batteries help for a short period of time too. Phaser and disruptor arrays also use less power than other types like plasma, which also helps with power consumption.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I've noticed too sometime in a zone one or several all of my beam arrays stopped working. The icon was grey even mor grey then when a target is not in your firing arc. Had to leave the zone and return. Also happed in PVP. two of m forward arrays just stopped working and wouldn't fire no matter what I did. It was not related to any debuff.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Sounds like what happened with my torpedos just the other day. Entered a mission, half way through my torpedos quit working. I manage to finish, and go to the next mission. And my Torpedos are still NOT working.

I then work to gain enough distance to exit combat. Where I remove the Weapon and reinstall it. This changes the behavior but not the malfunction. So I exit the mission, unequip and reequip the Weapon and try a DSE... the Torpedos then work correctly. And I return to my mission, where they continue to function as expected.

The catch is that Cryptic is shifting back and forth between different code bases with some patches. What this means is that they are re-introducing bugs they had previously fixed. This kind of weapon malfunction is one of the old ones, that I remember, from the betas.

Sadly, all you can do is try a combination of uninstalling and reinstalling a weapon, and changing maps, to get it to work. What I can tell you is that the only way there will be a quick resolution is if enough people complain. Which is really pathetic in my opinion. They are IGNORING our bug reports and forcing us to come here and complain...
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-07-2010, 04:05 PM
by offline i meant they just didn't work. If it is a known problem, they why cant a gm just say so? i would rather they admit fault, cos then at least i know they know about it, and it will then get sorted. I'm glad it not just me though.

Come on Cryptic I need my wepons please :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damski View Post
by offline i meant they just didn't work. If it is a known problem, they why cant a gm just say so? i would rather they admit fault, cos then at least i know they know about it, and it will then get sorted. I'm glad it not just me though.

Come on Cryptic I need my wepons please :p
The Real Problem is that Cryptic doesn't want to "admit" there are ANY issues. They want to cover all that up! And it makes no sense!

Still, I think a large part of this is that they have moved us back to an earlier code base. If you will observe, when you are logging in, in the lower left hand corner, is a version number for the client. Recently the last few digits have changed from "...c.7" to "...a.5", and now to "...a.6". So they obviously haven't been progressing in a normal fashion.

This may change again in the near future. And some of these issues may be resolved. But as long as they keep going back and forth with this we will continue to see some of these same errors cropping back up.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-16-2010, 01:31 PM
While I have yet to reproduce this bug myself, I was helping someone try to nail it down last night.
It appears it may be an issue with Beam Overload, but as I said I cannot verufy that yet.

And btw: Cryptic certainly does admit there are bugs. That's why this forum exists and They address them when they can, in a prioritized order. See the stickies about which high profile bugs are being tracked by GMs, and the ones about Showstopper and Critical bugs. The QA people are overworked and underpaid, as I'm sure some of you have noticed by the ticket #s your bug reports have.

Starting threads like this is a good start on increasing visiblity of a given bug. I'm pretty sure this ranks somewhere inthe "Critical" range as it can severely impede the player.
We can be part of the solution: perhaps if spmeone can reproduce this reliably and give them a series of steps to do so themselves, I'm sure it will be addressed ASAP. Linking it reliably to Beam Overload would be a huge help.

Who knows it may already be addressed, which is why I can't reproduce it on Tribble. (yet)

Have a bit of patience and allow for human error. They honestly do want you to have the best experience possible with the game. Not being a perfect world, we have to deal with reality.

For the time being, the workarounds (as stated) appear to be swapping out the "burnt out" weapon with another type of weapon entirely (Not another Beam weapon) or (Perhaos) avoid using Beam Overload I, II, or III.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-16-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm actively tracking the discussion in the thread you can find here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=134971

It's obvious that sometimes weapons do in fact stop working. The workaround is to transfer maps or log out and back in, or swap out weapons to something else.

However, the point is that we don't yet know what causes it. There are likely multiple things causing the same symptoms, and confusing everyone. That's why that discussion is already up to 8 pages, and we still don't have solid answers for all cases.