Lt. Commander
# 21
03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOnasi
[ignoring hyperbole above] Well, the laser doesn't go past the cornea (the very front of the eye), and couldn't go into your brain. [/ignoring hyperbole above]

The 10 year data has been released (Lasik got FDA approval in early '96), and so far things seem to be staying stable. The procedure was approved in the early 90's in Canada, so they're past the 15-year mark. From what I can see in my practice as an eye doctor, eyes and vision are staying pretty stable, aside from the inevitable 'my arms are too short' thing that happens to all of us in our 40's, with or without surgery.
Tyvm Buzz Killington was poking fun with him. Welcome to 10 Forward please check all literal meanings at the door. Must have this much ____ sense of humor to ride this attraction
................................I
................................I ^
................................I I
................................I In this size 5' 6.7222335"
................................I V
................................I____
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Tyvm Buzz Killington was poking fun with him. Welcome to 10 Forward please check all literal meanings at the door. Must have this much ____ sense of humor to ride this attraction
................................I ^
................................I In this size 5' 6.7222335"
................................I V
................................I____
I LOL'd

/10chars
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I watched an anime my Dad sent me (My dad watches anime, how cool is that :p) call Dennou Coil. It was entirely about people with glasses :p
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgemccain View Post
"Arms are too short thing?"

Please to explain that one a bit, I'm 38 so I've got impending curiosity
Think Kirk in TWOK where he's trying to read a large bound version of Moby **** at arm's length. Then finally gives up and puts the glasses on.

I've worn glasses for about 45 years now, and my face would feel naked without them. Ended up in bifocals a few years ago, and that wasn't too bad. Except the phone book publishers, I guess to save paper, now print the phone book listings in about 4px font (and using a phone book is rather important for my job). Ended up haivng to break down and ask the boss to get a mognifying glass (which really makes things look funky through bifocals.)
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-16-2010, 09:49 PM
My biggest complaint about my glasses was that I couldn't wear my old frames for more than a week without getting headaches due to a broken nose inflicted 15-16 years ago by a hook kick to the face (bobbed when I should have weaved). The optical gal at sears got me into a newer lightweight half rimmed frame when I worked there and no problems on that front. The lack of peripheral vision still bugs me so I stick with contacts. I'm not sure my vision is stable enough for lasik and the potential for losing contrast scares me.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Thats why I'm getting my eyes laserd in the fall.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Glasses on some people fit perfectly. And I don't mind how they look on me, I just don't particularly like wearing them. Here are some comparison photos.

With glasses. Without glasses.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-17-2010, 09:14 AM
I too wish I could afford LASIK....

I dislike wearing glasses....especially with my kids always messing with me and putting their damn fingerprints all over them.

I cannot wear contacts....I have a proximity issue with my eyes...I have trouble even putting eye drops in. I just can't stand to have anything that close to my eye....I'd never be able to put them in.

Having my eyes taped wide open and having a big laser pointed right at my eyes is a little disconcerting for me....because I have to be awake during the entire procedure from what I understand....I would highly recommend that they strap my ass down.....heheh
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Lasik Surgery? pfffft.

Artificial Eyes need to hurry up. millitary grade ones with wide spectral bandwidth, double rez and zoom function!