Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyonas View Post
You're looking at it the wrong way. The ship will be so huge that it can turn the universe around itself meaning that even despite the huge size it still turns faster than a Galaxy class / T4 Federation cruiser.
The galaxy is at the bottom of the curve of turn rate and in 3 tiers cruisers will out turn those pesky escorts
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
03-16-2010, 05:24 PM
I would rather have a point-defense, anti-fighter (and anti-mine) destroyer.

Klingons have critters, that's fine. Give us the critter-killers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
03-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewind View Post
here we go, we need something like this.

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/...s2/83418_5.jpg
yes i am with you dude give us the real excalibur class!!

oh and on topic; please no federation carrier it doesn't make any sense for the federation even to have fighters....for an organisation that values sentient life above all else it makes no sense that they would send lone individuals out on suicide missions, as well as having a vessel that has no other purpose other than war.

people have to remember that this is star trek not battle star galactica, star wars or any other sci fi, it is trek and content should only be implemented within those confines.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-16-2010, 06:05 PM
The feds Already have a Carrier.. It's called the Akira class which was classified as a carrier/torp boat. And they do have fighters.. have you watched DS9....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm also against a Fed Carrier.

I really like when games have diversity between factions. I would like to see each faction have some unique stuff including a unique T5 ship.

Klingons can have a Carrier.

I was thinking maybe a Time Ship from the Department of Temporal Investigations for the Federation. Someone else brought up a Point-Defense Ship, Something that has extra permanent weapons that auto attack things like Mines, Plasma Torps, Fighters etc etc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard214 View Post
The feds Already have a Carrier.. It's called the Akira class which was classified as a carrier/torp boat. And they do have fighters.. have you watched DS9....
-----------------------------------
The following information of specifications and defenses comes exclusively from the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual:

* Production Base: ASDB Integration Facility, Antares Fleet Yards, Antares IV.
* Type: Heavy Cruiser.
* Accommodation: 500 officers and crew; 4,500 personal evacuation limit.
* Power Plant: One 1,500 plus Cochrane warp core feeding two nacelles; one impulse system.
* Dimensions: Length, 464.43 meters; beam, 316.67 meters; height, 87.43 meters.
* Mass: 3,055,000 metric tonnes.
* Performance: Warp 9.8 for 12 hours.
* Armament: Six type-10 phaser emitters; two photon torpedo launchers.
-------------------------------------

The Akira was RETROFITTED to carry Fighters during the dominion war as a Last ditch desperate move by the federation to employ anything that was space worthy. The Federation believes that fighters are an out dated, inefficient and ineffective ship type.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-16-2010, 10:40 PM
The Federation should get a carrier (that Typhon-Class looks cool by the way), though ultimately, there should be a lot more available as far as ships and ship-classes go. Ideally, many (if not every) ship should be viable and available in the end (I recommend refit system be implemented in the future) and should have a distinct style that would make every ship Unique. For now, adding a carrier would be a sensible tactic, because the entire "big picture" of ship combat has yet to advance to a state of such utility. In the end I see ship combat become much more complex in the future, with many, many, more options then there is available today.

While a battle ship might work, it would (as far as Cryptic believes) be a very slow, and hard to maneuver ship, which suffers from having to rely on a Fed Ball tactic and if they are caught by themselves they would surely be torn to shreds. Given the current state of the games universe, (a giant free for all, just like it was in Starfleet Command) more unorthodox methods should be explored as options for ship fitting, even the almighty forbidden "Federation Cloaking Device" which in the episode "all good things" has been fitted to a triple nacelle Dreadnought Enterprise.

I am also playing the Klingons, as well, and in pvp and what limited pve there is, the Bird of Prey is a very utilitarian and powerful ship. It is capable of cloak-and-regroup tactics, and if you disperse a Fed Ball, then the federation will be hard pressed to counter this. Instead of outright balancing, and this being a war apparently, (a somewhat hastily written and implemented war at that) instead of forcing a balancing of the various aspects of the game, I would recommend giving the opposite side, and answer to an advantage, even the ability to implement in there own way their own version of this advantage. Then work from there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karek View Post
yes i am with you dude give us the real excalibur class!!

oh and on topic; please no federation carrier it doesn't make any sense for the federation even to have fighters....for an organisation that values sentient life above all else it makes no sense that they would send lone individuals out on suicide missions, as well as having a vessel that has no other purpose other than war.

people have to remember that this is star trek not battle star galactica, star wars or any other sci fi, it is trek and content should only be implemented within those confines.
Yes, because Battleships make so much more sense for an organization out for peace.

And since when is being in a snub fighter a suicide mission? Thanks to aircraft the hayday of battleships is over. And since your banging the canon bell, go look at the Star Trek game for the playstation. Seem to recall that being a game ONLY about fighters.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-16-2010, 10:53 PM
The Typhoon isn't even a capital ship, it's smaller than a T5 cruiser.

What the Federation needs is something that can blast all those ****ing NPC to bits quickly, which means heavy AoE. And not bullcrap science AoE that does like 600 damage, I mean AoE that does damage just like regular weapons.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
03-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWalkingLost View Post
-----------------------------------
The following information of specifications and defenses comes exclusively from the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual:

* Production Base: ASDB Integration Facility, Antares Fleet Yards, Antares IV.
* Type: Heavy Cruiser.
* Accommodation: 500 officers and crew; 4,500 personal evacuation limit.
* Power Plant: One 1,500 plus Cochrane warp core feeding two nacelles; one impulse system.
* Dimensions: Length, 464.43 meters; beam, 316.67 meters; height, 87.43 meters.
* Mass: 3,055,000 metric tonnes.
* Performance: Warp 9.8 for 12 hours.
* Armament: Six type-10 phaser emitters; two photon torpedo launchers.
-------------------------------------

The Akira was RETROFITTED to carry Fighters during the dominion war as a Last ditch desperate move by the federation to employ anything that was space worthy. The Federation believes that fighters are an out dated, inefficient and ineffective ship type.
Because I guess between the 21st and 24th centuries we forgot about bombers, guided munitions, and smaller targets being a pain to hit with big weapons.

The day someone rules something out as obsolete is the day they invite disaster from it. Best to expect too much and not see it, than to prepare for too little and be overrun by it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:53 PM.