Lt. Commander
# 11
03-18-2010, 08:31 AM
While I do lament the lack of content for the Klingon faction, I see many elements working against more PvE content for the Klingon faction.

1. When you watch Star Trek on tv or in the movies, how much Klingon centric episodes do you actually see? All you see is a portrayal of Federation life, not about Klingon life. Does anyone know what Klingon culture is like? What is living as a Klingon like?

2. Klingons have often been portrayed as the villains. This makes them an instant fit as a PvP faction, the aggressor, the villain, etc. Does anyone know what type of missions the Klingons go on? Do you know what type of PvE content should the Klingons get, since most of us don't want a copy of the Fed content.

3. The majority of the population plays in the Fed side. It's natural most of the development effort should benefit most of the players. It is a vicious circle though, since it's natural again to leave the neglected side, which further feeds the decay.

Basically, I look at it this way. I bought a STO account, not a Klingon account, not a Federation account. I don't see a need to be polarized about this. Just encourage the devs to always add to the Klingon faction. I do not expect the devs to add to the Klingon faction only because the population majority is just not there. And just like any Star Trek experience, it centers around the Federation. Play a Fed if you are bored in the Klingon faction.

If you really bought STO just to play the Klingons and only the Klingons, then I would question why you only bought 1/10 of the game.

And for the inevitable "go level a Klingon to 45 before you speak replies", my first character to 45 is a Klingon. Got a Fed to 6, then switched to Klingon, and get her to 45 before the T1-4 pvp queues started to die down. Went back to level my Fed to 45 to justify all the pvp imbalance cries, and stayed mostly as a Fed after that. I've long accepted that Federation gameplay is the emphasis of this game and I don't have a bone against it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-18-2010, 08:42 AM
With that logic, I'm glad you're not playing a Vulcan.

Cryptic may think that if people stay in or go to the KDF, true. But the more people going there, the more people will see what's wrong, what's missing, and start to complain. I can't complain about something without having seen the flaws. Even less can I offer suggestions and improvement. That's one important point - the whining isn't getting anyone anywhere. Trolling like spamming in every posting "yeah f-u, we klingons get nothing and you ask for bikinis" isn't exactly helpful. While I don't think bikinis should have priority over improvements to KDF content, I also see why people react like that. On both sides. Its frustration, and that won't help any faction. Fed players may as well leave alltogether because they are annoyed by whining Klingons, seeing them as a faction of forum trolls or griefers.

First of all, you have the obvious problem of the tutorial. Every player starts with a Fed character. Many stick with what they have from there, simply because its easy. Or because they can as well have a Fed Klingon if they just like the species self.
People rolling a KDF character later know what they get into. A lack of everything. So many will stick with their Fed, why give up something everyone says is the better deal? Call me a hippie, but that's also partly the negativity everywhere. Instead of trying to strengthen the faction by telling people what they miss (and if its only small things) and lure them in, all you read is complaints.
In the end, that comes out as "a minority never happy with anything". Not really the most powerful front to make demands, as justified as they are.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence
While I do lament the lack of content for the Klingon faction, I see many elements working against more PvE content for the Klingon faction.

1. When you watch Star Trek on tv or in the movies, how much Klingon centric episodes do you actually see? All you see is a portrayal of Federation life, not about Klingon life. Does anyone know what Klingon culture is like? What is living as a Klingon like?

2. Klingons have often been portrayed as the villains. This makes them an instant fit as a PvP faction, the aggressor, the villain, etc. Does anyone know what type of missions the Klingons go on? Do you know what type of PvE content should the Klingons get, since most of us don't want a copy of the Fed content.

3. The majority of the population plays in the Fed side. It's natural most of the development effort should benefit most of the players. It is a vicious circle though, since it's natural again to leave the neglected side, which further feeds the decay.

Basically, I look at it this way. I bought a STO account, not a Klingon account, not a Federation account. I don't see a need to be polarized about this. Just encourage the devs to always add to the Klingon faction. I do not expect the devs to add to the Klingon faction only because the population majority is just not there. And just like any Star Trek experience, it centers around the Federation. Play a Fed if you are bored in the Klingon faction.

If you really bought STO just to play the Klingons and only the Klingons, then I would question why you only bought 1/10 of the game.

And for the inevitable "go level a Klingon to 45 before you speak replies", my first character to 45 is a Klingon. Got a Fed to 6, then switched to Klingon, and get her to 45 before the T1-4 pvp queues started to die down. Went back to level my Fed to 45 to justify all the pvp imbalance cries, and stayed mostly as a Fed after that. I've long accepted that Federation gameplay is the emphasis of this game and I don't have a bone against it.
1) There is plenty of Klingon content episodes in Star Trek. Dozens.
2) Klingons have been portrayed as Villians. However over the 5 tv series the balance clearly leans towards Klingons being allies.
I could suggest plenty of Klingon stories.
3) i agree there are more Federation players and therefore more emphasis on them. However the current balance is dreadful.
I continue to believe that a healthy Klingon faction is very important to the survival of STO.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Before this game came out I was going to play Klingon. I love the Klingons but alas I could not pvp my way out of a wet paper bag. So once I learn that I sighed and rolled up a Fed character then a fed Klingon as soon as one was offered in the c store. I sit waiting for pve to be made available for the Klingons. I wait and watch and hope one day that spot I am saving will be filled. Diella awaits her birth and I will not use that name until she can be born as a proper Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Let's not forget that Klingon is the only official language created for a fictional race. You can't beat that. There is a lot canon about the empire, the history, the mentality and the backgrounds. Where to get good stories? Licensed work novels. Mostly newcomer authors with dedication to canon and continuity - says they know what they are doing, and they are cheap.

Licensed novels have done a damn lot for species outside the Federation; a Romulan language has been developed that way; cultural backgrounds have been shown, and there are already elements from novels in STO. I see no reason why its not possible to also use some of the Klingon stories, or even hire a writer for them.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin_Raider View Post
1) There is plenty of Klingon content episodes in Star Trek. Dozens.
There are 1000 episodes of star trek. You aren't helping matters.

Either way, there is more than enough about the Klingons to make content. I have already suggested a massive story ark in previous threads. It takes time.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I tried a explore mission on tribble and it was really really boring not to mention it was broken and would not complete. Klingons need some seriouse love!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrik35 View Post
I tried a explore mission on tribble and it was really really boring not to mention it was broken and would not complete. Klingons need some seriouse love!!!!
Did you file a bug for the not-completing part?

Exploration missions are bad filler reruns on the Federation side too, so that just means equal treatment.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Maybe not worth much, but the OP is at least right about that; the faction will only get attention and improvement if people start playing there.
The problem here is until something is done, people won't play, a big circle here. So FIX Klingons, add some end game stuff to keep feds happy and then worry about eye candy stuff and other races.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence
You're right. There aren't many episodes that show Klingon's life or culture. I could only find a few:

# ENT: (11)

* "Broken Bow"
* "Unexpected"
* "Sleeping Dogs"
* "Marauders"
* "Judgment"
* "Bounty"
* "The Expanse"
* "Borderland"
* "The Augments"
* "Affliction"
* "Divergence"

# TOS: (7)

* "Errand of Mercy"
* "Friday's Child"
* "The Trouble with Tribbles"
* "A Private Little War"
* "Elaan of Troyius"
* "Day of the Dove"
* "The Savage Curtain" (Excalbian recreation only)

# TAS: (2)

* "More Tribbles, More Troubles"
* "The Time Trap"

# TNG: (29)

* "Hide and Q"
* "Heart of Glory"
* "A Matter Of Honor"
* "The Emissary"
* "Shades of Gray" (archive footage only)
* "The Offspring" (hologram only)
* "Sins of the Father"
* "Reunion"
* "Future Imperfect" (illusion only)
* "The Drumhead"
* "The Mind's Eye"
* "Redemption"
* "Redemption II"
* "Unification I"
* "Unification II"
* "New Ground"
* "Ethics"
* "Cost of Living"
* "Imaginary Friend"
* "Rascals"
* "A Fistful of Datas"
* "Aquiel"
* "Birthright, Part I"
* "Birthright, Part II"
* "The Chase"
* "Suspicions"
* "Rightful Heir"
* "Gambit, Part II"
* "Firstborn"

# DS9: (39)

* "Past Prologue"
* "Dramatis Personae"
* "Invasive Procedures"
* "Melora"
* "Blood Oath"
* "Crossover"
* "The House of Quark"
* "Visionary"
* "Through the Looking Glass"
* "The Way of the Warrior"
* "The Sword of Kahless"
* "Return to Grace"
* "Sons of Mogh"
* "Rules of Engagement"
* "Shattered Mirror"
* "Broken Link"
* "Apocalypse Rising"
* "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places"
* "Nor the Battle to the Strong"
* "Trials and Tribble-ations"
* "In Purgatory's Shadow"
* "By Inferno's Light"
* "Soldiers of the Empire"
* "Children of Time"
* "Sons and Daughters"
* "Sacrifice of Angels"
* "You Are Cordially Invited"
* "In the Pale Moonlight"
* "His Way"
* "The Reckoning"
* "Image in the Sand"
* "Shadows and Symbols"
* "Once More Unto the Breach"
* "The Emperor's New Cloak"
* "Chimera"
* "When It Rains..."
* "Tacking Into the Wind"
* "The Dogs of War"
* "What You Leave Behind"

# VOY: (10)

* "Flashback"
* "Real Life" (hologram only)
* "The Killing Game" (hologram only)
* "The Killing Game, Part II" (hologram only)
* "Infinite Regress"
* "Barge of the Dead" (dream only)
* "Unimatrix Zero, Part II"
* "Lineage"
* "Prophecy"
* "Endgame"

# films: (7)

* Star Trek: The Motion Picture
* Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
* Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
* Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
* Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
* Star Trek Generations

Seriously though, there is plenty of material for them to work with. Just going to the Klingon page of memory alpha alone lists enough to get basic ideas. I'm sure plenty of us here can come up with decent to good episodic PvE mission if we were "asked to help out" or given a "player driven mission creator" that was worth a damn.