Lt. Commander
# 1341
03-18-2010, 11:19 PM
For those who haven't seen this yet:

Tribble Weekend Event!
(All times -8:00 GMT)

Join us this weekend on the Tribble Test Server to preview the new Season One: Common Ground and you will receive two special unlocks!
Assimilated Tribble: This Tribble grants you a bonus when dealing with the Borg
Crash Test Tribble: A special Title you can assign your captain

Spend an hour or more on Tribble between the times below to qualify:
Start Time: 2 p.m. Friday, March 19
End Time: 9 a.m. Monday, March 23
Special Unlock items will be granted via the C-Store when Season One: Common Ground goes live to Holodeck and can be used once per account when playing on both Tribble and Holodeck servers.

Here's the link to the thread

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ilated+tribble
Lt. Commander
# 1342
03-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOnasi
Here's a question that might be interesting to consider--what would you call the medical/scientific study of tribbles? Tribblology sounds rather silly, and Grexology sounds weird, too. Perhaps Polygeminology?

Edit:
CAV + feline supplement 74 = SPA
STC + feline supplement 74 = SPA
CAV + Vulcan spice tea = STL
Tribbology probably sounds the more likely, however silly it sounds but I am sure there is a more generic term not affiliated with tribbles in particular. I just can't think of it at the moment. If there was more science involved I would say genetics but sigh, alas tis not.
Lt. Commander
# 1343
03-19-2010, 02:40 AM
ZINC + Croissant = SPARKES for me instead of a DOTSON
ZINC + Cardassian Kanar = SPARKES
ZINC + Root Beer = DOTSON
Lt. Commander
# 1344
03-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Tribbology probably sounds the more likely, however silly it sounds but I am sure there is a more generic term not affiliated with tribbles in particular. I just can't think of it at the moment. If there was more science involved I would say genetics but sigh, alas tis not.
I pulled out 'polygeminology' from their scientific name, since their genus and species is Polygeminus grex. I checked the definitions for different things that were very close to these proposed names.

Tribology is the study of interacting surfaces in motion, or basically the study of friction.
Polyology means 'verbosity'
Geminology is the study of twins.
When I did a google search on grexology and polygeminology, my post with this word was the first thing that showed up in the list. LOL

Since the little buggers reproduce like crazy, and polygeminus implies 'lots of twins', 'tribbologist' could be confused with 'tribologist', and 'tribblologist' is too hard to say 3 times fast, along with sounding a bit silly, may I recommend 'polygeminologist' for those of us who enjoying studying tribbles?
Lt. Commander
# 1345
03-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_moshpit View Post
Any idea on how the Assimilated Tribble being introduced this weekend will fit into the chart?
My guess (and it's simply a guess of course) is that this new Assimilated Tribble will end up being a standalone bonus critter that won't relate to the standard Tribble system at all.

They told us the new Tribbles' ability is specifically geared toward the Borg so it already has little in common to any other preexisting Tribble. And as an "assimilated" Tribble I could easily accept that it might not even be able to create/breed any other normal Tribble.

It'll be interesting to see how it might fit into the current Tribble scheme.
I'm just not counting on it "playing nice" with any other normal Tribble at this point. :p
Lt. Commander
# 1346
03-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOnasi
Side note on prune juice--it's the 25th century--surely there's something better for constipation?
Blame Guinan and Worf. Now it's a staple among the Federation-aligned Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 1347
03-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothic View Post
It'll be interesting to see how it might fit into the current Tribble scheme.
I'm just not counting on it "playing nice" with any other normal Tribble at this point. :p
I'm definitely not leaving it alone with any of my rare tribbles until I've first seen what happens to some tier 1s.
Lt. Commander
# 1348
03-20-2010, 03:09 AM
What do you call someone who studies tribbles?

Dr. Gregory Cyrano Jones of course.
Lt. Commander
# 1349
03-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfniLuck
I'm definitely not leaving it alone with any of my rare tribbles until I've first seen what happens to some tier 1s.
I expect, that in typical borg behavior it will assimilate other tribbles to be assimilated tribbles, much in the way tribbles eat food to replace that with other tribbles.

So it will possibly eat food and tribbles to produce copies of itself.
Lt. Commander
# 1350
03-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinubabear View Post
I expect, that in typical borg behavior it will assimilate other tribbles to be assimilated tribbles, much in the way tribbles eat food to replace that with other tribbles.

So it will possibly eat food and tribbles to produce copies of itself.
Or would it enhance the tribble it assimilates to produce an additional buff ? hmmm