Lt. Commander
# 71
03-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogahma View Post
Been trying to figure this one out myself, at first thought that the action (firing etc) of the player with the blue circle was casuing it, but now looks to be just when ever that person is hit by follow up "electic bolts".

From what I've seen it gose like this, say all members are at full heath/shields, one member gets hit by a lighting bolt losing half their shield and getting the big blue circle. Rebecca will then seemingly randomly fire bolts (look like Preditor plasma caster bolts) at the circle guy who will lose another half of their shield strengh and stright after anyone near that person gets hit by lighting arcing from the circle guy, talking there shields out. Get two of these bolts one after the other and everyone but the circle guy will ether be dead or at only a few HP, the circle guy himself being at half HP.
This was of course asuming everyone was at full heath etc and both attacks happening before shield regen ticked in.

I'm still not 100% sure if the blue cirle guy firing on Rebbecca also causes a AoE as well or not, ether way it's prolly not a good idear to be aggroing her if you have the circle on you.

The big question is what do you do if you got the circle on you?
Get away from you team mates? maybe but she reaplies that circle buff on other group members pretty often. If you have a cover shield up get behind it if your circled, if not I try to get behind her if she is close by and rifle butt spam her as this seems to keep her interupted.
As you said there is no debuff so I'm not even sure any debuff removale ability would effect it, has anyone tried that?
If you can't do any of the above your gona have to just grin and bear it, get ready to pop your hypo/shield pack when the blue cirle is near.

If she is in melee range it's good to do as it seems to keep her interupted, if you take too long on swings though and she is agroing someone else she move away from you to that person and start blue circling again. I used to bat'leth her just cos I like to melee but sadly rifle butt seems more spamable, this game could deffo do with a coule new melee wepons :/.

Anyway that's my personal experiance it dose seem very random though so anybody elses experance may be different.
All in melee range does seem to cause less aoe damage from the debuff but...cant tell why. We tried this in a run last night and ....finished it although we wanted to try a few other things aswell doh.

With the upcomming changes to the boss fight it looks like you do have to fight her in middle and deal with borg respawning at the same time e.g. from middle which is doable but is more risky.

Spread out so are far enough from each other is alsso viable but again need to be carefull of borg respawns.

I dont think we will have a problem completing it but at this point we wont be applying any tactics just watching for debuff and prob healing through any aoe it causes.

I stil think there is something everyone is missing.

Is there anyway to show what debuffs appear on your character? The debuff Rebecca puts on you shows around the character (blue circle) and the damage shos as comming from that character but it does not appear under the health bar as a debuff/buff so there is no howver over tooltip :S
Lt. Commander
# 72
03-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks! This is my first mmo, I don't know much but this is brutally honest guide of what I should not do.
Lt. Commander
# 73
03-18-2010, 09:56 PM
OP, I would love to PUG this with you.

I pugged this today with a supposedly experienced group, so I was expecting a smooth run. I won't bore anyone with the details, but I've come to many of the OP's realizations.

There are those without the first clue of what they are doing, nor do they care to listen. They usually run out of steam after the fourth or fifth kamikaze zerg run fails. Often their departure is prefaced with "Is this even possible?" or "We need a sci."

Then there are those whose feeble intellects grasp nodes=bad, and do everything in their power to kill nodes. As OP described they do everything in their power to kill nodes, to the detriment of the team and are ignorant to the the mechanics of NPC aggro. I've even seen them sprint to the next room, to kill nodes before we've cleared the previous of Borg.

I now ask at the beginning "Are we going to do this smart and pull patrols?" I have yet to receive a positive response. Hopefully this thread will engender more positive responses in the future.

On the subject of purple gear=I WIN button, one of the groupmates asked what weapon I was using. I linked my Uncommon Split Beam (sorry OP) Tetryon Rifle. He wanted to know why I was doing such great damage. I told them all their fancy antiproton gear was doing no damage due to the the Borg's adaptive shielding.

Of course they were unprepared to change tactics; they claimed their other weapons were just phasers. I asked what their Boff's were carrying, but I guess they either didn't get the hint, equip their BO's with Mk II's, or just couldn't let go of their antiprotons.

Why do people make Infected harder than it is?
Lt. Commander
# 74
03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaal_Sinestro View Post
OP, I would love to PUG this with you.

I pugged this today with a supposedly experienced group, so I was expecting a smooth run. I won't bore anyone with the details, but I've come to many of the OP's realizations.

There are those without the first clue of what they are doing, nor do they care to listen. They usually run out of steam after the fourth or fifth kamikaze zerg run fails. Often their departure is prefaced with "Is this even possible?" or "We need a sci."

Then there are those whose feeble intellects grasp nodes=bad, and do everything in their power to kill nodes. As OP described they do everything in their power to kill nodes, to the detriment of the team and are ignorant to the the mechanics of NPC aggro. I've even seen them sprint to the next room, to kill nodes before we've cleared the previous of Borg.

I now ask at the beginning "Are we going to do this smart and pull patrols?" I have yet to receive a positive response. Hopefully this thread will engender more positive responses in the future.

On the subject of purple gear=I WIN button, one of the groupmates asked what weapon I was using. I linked my Uncommon Split Beam (sorry OP) Tetryon Rifle. He wanted to know why I was doing such great damage. I told them all their fancy antiproton gear was doing no damage due to the the Borg's adaptive shielding.

Of course they were unprepared to change tactics; they claimed their other weapons were just phasers. I asked what their Boff's were carrying, but I guess they either didn't get the hint, equip their BO's with Mk II's, or just couldn't let go of their antiprotons.

Why do people make Infected harder than it is?
Ah, so borg have a DR to antiproton weapons?
Lt. Commander
# 75
03-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovive
Ah, so borg have a DR to antiproton weapons?
Not exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUWyAtqdwzc 0:07-0:13
Lt. Commander
# 76
03-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaal_Sinestro View Post
Sorry, I do not understand the video reference. What exactly are you saying?
Lt. Commander
# 77 It's the Only Way To Be Sure
03-19-2010, 04:03 AM
I've long had reservations about the premise for this mission, and recently several PUG members have expressed similar concerns in my presence. The problem can be expressed as a simple question:

"Why are we here?"

Now, one could get all metaphysical, or admit that purple lewt plays a part, but ultimately the question boils down to the in-game rationale behind the mission. Why are 5 people trying to take on the Borg with puny hand weapons? Wouldn't it make more sense to beam out all the survivors (into a highly secure quarantine), and then destroy the station with focused bombardment from a safe distance? Several people have suggested this option independently of one another. The resulting rubble always could be searched for clues afterwards.

If one expects people to undertake a mission which they consider ill-advised and pointless from the start, then one hardly has a right to criticize them for failing to think things through. How can people be expected to deduce the "correct" immersion-breaking, gamey solution out of many equally immersion-breaking, gamey solutions, when they are barred from reacting to the situation naturally given the tools at their disposal?

OK, it's still possible to "just try things" at random, observe the game's reaction, and then adjust accordingly. In fact, I suspect that's exactly what many people are doing. However, this approach is invariably long, and given the hostile nature of the scenario, subject to much failure.

Overall, I just hope that the devs enable multiple solutions to each future task force; while randomizing the scenarios enough so that "Mission Impossible" stopwatch-perfect plans become impossible.