Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Here is a question for everyone. Its clear that the original timeline and the new movie timeline are parrallel universes with a shared starting point (prior to when the Narada arrived in the 2230's) and then the two timelines branched off from there.

My question is that if someone in the original timeline travelled back to 2260 NOW after Spock and Nero went back, would they go to their own version of 2260 or would they arrive in the alternate 2260 since the logical course of events after Nero's arrival in the past could possibly ripple into the future (like the anomaly from 'All Good Things' rippling into the past).

Im thinking that they would remain in their own timeline unless they went back to a time just at or prior to the Naradas arrival in which case they would transition into that timeline. Even if that thinking were true, I would then believe that anyone that time travelled prior to the Naradas arrival, if they travelled then back to the future it would be in that alternate future (and thus all time travellers going that far back would be prevented from ever returning to their timeline)...

Where is the Temporal Division when you need em ?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2010, 08:27 AM
-If someone from the original timeline went back to a point before the divergence in timelines, they would see the same timeline there history has recorded.

-If someone from the orginal timeline went to a point AFTER the divergence, but have thus far been not effected by the changes in THERE timeline...they would go back to a point uneffected by the changes...as they are in a parrellell universe that was not altered.

Basically it sums up like this. Because the divergence took place...there is now two alternate realities. both unaware of each other. So the history, past and future of each timeline, is seperate, and unrelated to what could have happened in the other.

anytime something in either timeline changes to the point the timeline COULD be effected...a new divergence point is created...and infinite possiblites become possible. But each timeline other then the new one...remains unchanges as if nothing happened. New changes only take place in the offshoot divergence point.

Think of every action in day to day life as having a tree branch effect. I could have spilt that coffee i bought this morning. In some other reality...i maybe did...and thats how history recorded that coffee in that timeline. but in my timeline...my coffee is still very much getting cold as i waste time typing this.
each potential difference in events...has its own unique timeline, leading to endless possibly things that could happen. but time flows like a river...always in one direction. If you move against the current...you only witness what has happened in the past as YOU might have seen it. Not how it was changed in possible timelines...

confused yet? or did that help?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
What the Bleep?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2010, 08:33 AM
for me the key is the black-hole, others may disagree but no one has ever used a black-hole in star trek to go back in time so this explains the alternate universe

any time that someone has gone back in time in any star trek tv show or film they have gone back into their own timeline that they can alter and mess with

the nerada and prime spock went through a black hole and went into a quantum universe that was identical to the one they where living in but everything they did from there on created an alternate universe, there are meant to be infinite numbers of these universe and are created when ever someone makes a choice as seen in the tng episode parallels

so for example if picard now jumped back in time to 2230 or even 2360 he would experience the timeline that he has read about. ie no nerada. but anything he did their would affect his timeline
even if he used a black-hole he would still go back into his own time but would now split into a brand new timeline leaving the original intact

in reality it does not really add up but as its a tv show you have to give them some leeway
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2010, 08:38 AM
You also have to take into account the scientific concept (Don't ask me what it' called, I don't remember and Wikipedia has failed me) that if an object is observed it is changed, so therefore someone going into the past would utltimately cause a divergance just in the act of going back into time. So even if someone goes back in the past and does nothing overtly to change anything, just that person being in teh past is a change and therefore you would be in an alternate timleline.

Ok, now I have a headache
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
for me the key is the black-hole, others may disagree but no one has ever used a black-hole in star trek to go back in time so this explains the alternate universe

any time that someone has gone back in time in any star trek tv show or film they have gone back into their own timeline that they can alter and mess with

the nerada and prime spock went through a black hole and went into a quantum universe that was identical to the one they where living in but everything they did from there on created an alternate universe, there are meant to be infinite numbers of these universe and are created when ever someone makes a choice as seen in the tng episode parallels

so for example if picard now jumped back in time to 2230 or even 2360 he would experience the timeline that he has read about. ie no nerada. but anything he did their would affect his timeline
even if he used a black-hole he would still go back into his own time but would now split into a brand new timeline leaving the original intact

in reality it does not really add up but as its a tv show you have to give them some leeway
Exactly....you totally get it.

Well done sir....
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo

You should win the Cochrane award for that one....

You absolutely NAILED it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Ok I thought we already made this clear, NO Temporal discussion in 10 Forward! Non zip zilch zero! People get heated and it ends up looking like a Star Fleet Academy thread.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Ok I thought we already made this clear, NO Temporal discussion in 10 Forward! Non zip zilch zero! People get heated and it ends up looking like a Star Fleet Academy thread.
Fine...
from this point onward....

any questions you have regarding time travel, or any other temporal related inquiry will be answered with a firm "Xenu did it...thats why"
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
You should win the Cochrane award for that one....
in some alternate reality, I already have