Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 51
03-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Exploit just means "utilizing game mechanics to facilitate unintended results".

Somewhere up the line, the multi-spawning result wasn't in the final vision of the ship.

Next up: Is snb+vm+jam an "exploit"?

Guess we'll find out soon enough. The whole issue would be solved if sci team worked as a short duration invulnerability as intended and SNB was included. Or maybe even give the ENG team a debuff they can remove
Lt. Commander
# 52
03-19-2010, 11:21 AM
BINGO! Now we KNOW it was an exploit. Before yesterday there was no way for anyone to know it was an exploit, so no one was exploiting it per se. They REALLY should have said something way earlier.

Why is it that Cryptic can't own up to a mistake they made? I mean really, this has been a heated topic for a long time now, and a simple "No, it's not intended to work that way" would have solved everything.

(ignore the "Carrier spawns are NOT an exploit" link in my sig... I'm responding to this before I can remove it )
Lt. Commander
# 53
03-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Honestly Sam, I don't think it ever was an exploit. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that Cryptic can't own up to their mistakes. It's easier to put the blame on the players and say "bad players exploiting our game" then say "oops, that didn't work out so well, sorry bout that."

And that dev satement references "infinite" spawns. I don't recall ever seeing infinite spawns, and from what I have read, you certainly haven't seen it either, though there could well have been players that figured it out. That would lead me to believe that the exploit was the "infinite" part, but I guess its all water under the bridge at this point. Oh well.

Quick Edit: Just to drag out this debate further (because it keeps me entertained at work), does this mean swapping out bridge officers out of combat but inside a map is an exploit? I can't say I have ever really bothered to try myself, and forgive me if it doesn't really work as I think it does, but could you in theory hit HYII and then swap officers and use RF I and then engage? The mechanics of the game allow you to change out any equipment or officers out of combat to "suit the situation" as the loading screens suggest. Not sure how advantageous this is/can be as I haven't really bothered to try, but just curious as to all y'alls thoughts.
Lt. Commander
# 54
03-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I didn't know about an "infinite" spawn issue... That would certainly be an exploit. Still, though, it's not like this issue was hard to see. It was probably one of the most visible debates in the forum. A little light shed on the situation from Cryptic should NOT be something we can't get.

Blah... I often defend Cryptic against haters, but this sort of crap makes them hard to defend.
Lt. Commander
# 55
03-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Charette View Post
Yeah, I didn't know about an "infinite" spawn issue... That would certainly be an exploit. Still, though, it's not like this issue was hard to see. It was probably one of the most visible debates in the forum. A little light shed on the situation from Cryptic should NOT be something we can't get.

Blah... I often defend Cryptic against haters, but this sort of crap makes them hard to defend.
Eh so it was an exploit. Do I hate you because you did it nah. Most people said it was an exploit whether Cryptic came out and said it or not. They are not always the most forth coming with information. Then again alot of companies are saying x is a bug then people that did't know about it will exploit it till its fixed. This was voiced alot and why it wasn't addressed sooner not exactly sure.