Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 41
01-20-2010, 03:12 AM
yester day i got into the game. i like it tuff . i dont want simple .for the most part it is not simple . i find my self looking at the map. for a clue as to were to go . it would be nice. if in the big map if there was a . !! YOU ARE HEAR!! marker . but it is still test and tune .

were you warp around i can live with . but were you fight . i get the feeling of being in a fish aquarium.
it would be nice if the fight zones were larger. spawn in was in the middle part. and no ship by spanw in zone .
ps camped spawn = no fun .

i seen some water it was not deep enough to swim in . is there swimming in the game?

im hopeing for some kinda crafting . economics in the game .
last but not least. is I going to be able to let other players on my ship .
to me its looking like not going to be .
to who it may be Sorry for my chop stick typing and 2nd grade wording
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-20-2010, 07:23 AM
So as a casual gamer you find it hard at the beggining does that mean after a certain amount of time you cannot learn how the game works?

No it doesnt you folks will learn the in's and out's of the game sooner or later.

Do you want a game that has no challenge then keep crying out for nerfs cause you think its too hard.

How will that translate to your enjoyment once you reach higher level and now know how to play.

Certain players (call them hard core if you wish) have already figured the game out and they think its too easy myself included.

So hear me casual players are you really saying you cannot adapt or learn game mechanics over time?

Are you unable to improve your play?

I think you can.

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonphase View Post
No matter what anybody says, essentially in the first few hours of any MMo or MoG for that matter you need to be guided and have your hands held whilst you learn the ropes, this is called a learning curve. Its easy for everyone here to say negative things because we have already done the curve. However for totally brand new players, if things don't get nerfed for at least the first...lets say Five levels, then people will quickly get annoyed/frustrated and that'll lead to countless forum compliant/whine posts..

And the more whine posts there is, the more likely the game will get nerfed even more as time progresses. So its best to get the balance right, sooner rather than later. As for later in-game, who knows how balanced that is right now since its un-accessible, who knows it could be even worse but until we can test it - the future is un-written. Most tutorials at least provide some basis for the curve so you can head into the main game with at least enough knowledge to keep moving forward, I just personally think the tutorial doesn't quite give the player enough knowledge.
So this thread is a preventative call for a nerf? That makes no sense. As you stated, you made it just fine. Are you really that sure that all new people to join the game are that much worse at learning to play than you? I would think that is a bad presumption on which to base further nerefing.

If anything the early game has been nerfed too much already that players aren't learning any strategy in the early game. The tutorial itself has been made so easy to do already that I don't believe anything is being learned on how to play well. And, while this may be fine for the tutorial because the player is learning the controls and mechanics of the game, any more nerfing beyond the tutorial is definitely a bad idea. At some point players need to learn to actually play properly if the balance of the game is to remain with any skill required at all.

The other thing is the secure sector missions. As these are, they can even be soloed just fine if you're the one creating the instance or if it was created by another low level player. The problem seems to be that higher levels are doing the low level areas and causing them to spawn with groups appropriate for them. I expect this is mostly due to the current level cap, but the mechanism should probably be changed so these open missions don't scale because otherwise there will be players doing this to grief.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
The problem seems to be that higher levels are doing the low level areas and causing them to spawn with groups appropriate for them. I expect this is mostly due to the current level cap, but the mechanism should probably be changed so these open missions don't scale because otherwise there will be players doing this to grief.
Yes, there should probably be some sort of warning message about what level the enemies are at due to the skill level and quantity of people currently in the instance when you join. Something that you can choose to ignore later on and have the functionality to view somewhere if you need it.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
So this thread is a preventative call for a nerf? That makes no sense. As you stated, you made it just fine. Are you really that sure that all new people to join the game are that much worse at learning to play than you? I would think that is a bad presumption on which to base further nerefing.
Ground combat is fine currently, the difficulty setting scales nicely with later missions becoming more challenging, the steady grade learning curve is perfect for ground combat. But for space, the learning curve is extremely steep for new players. Its best to have a nice steady learning curve so everybody, not just hardcore players but casual gamers and even people who haven't played an MMo in there life can at least make some progress, this is for the benefit of everybody so the main core of the game isn't nerfed too much to accommodate everybody's needs.

I've already seen in general chat so many people posting about early missions being too hard, and this is open beta! Just imagine on general release when all the new players join the game who haven't even played this game yet start facing off tough ship encounters during the first few levels of the game? The forums will drown with nerf posts. So really, you have two choices. Nerf the 'opening part of the game' so the masses can learn to play every facet of the game, or have huge outcry's of people and the devs get nerf happy and start making the entire game really easy?

Since I've played two characters now through to Lieutenant Commander rank I can clearly see that the main weaknesses 'are' the first five levels of the game, after that things improve and once you get a teir 2 it improves greatly, I can't obviously say for sure after that since we can't test beyond 16 at the moment. You also have to remember, the equipment on your ship counts for so much. Right now, its easy to ask some friends for help, hit up the exchange or join a secure a sector mission because we know, there are going to be a lot of people there, with gear and/or tier 2 ships hanging around...headstart and general release, everything will be wiped so you think starting a fresh character from scratch will be as easy as it is currently? I think not.

I think right now, this is

Ensign to Lieutenant 5 = Too hard for newbie players, even challenging for veterans. Needs to be some missions that upgrade ships firepower early on, standard weaponry doesn't cut it against the current ships the player is forced to fight against during those early missions, either that or nerf the ships.

Lieutenant 5 to Lieutenant 10 = Moderate difficulty depending on gear upgrades available. Higher levels gets easy as more than likely players have upgraded from standard issue gear.

Lieutenant Commander 1 - 6 = Game becomes much more playable, more diverse gear and abilities.

Lieutenant Commander 6 - beyond = ??? Who knows

In retrospect, looking back - the game starts out hard and gets easier. Instead of the game starting out easy and progressively getting more challenging, but withing reason so the player can always progress, nothing worse than hitting solid brick walls that prevent the player from gaining any progress.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
I really truly don't know what you're talking about. I am new to MMOs. This is the very first MMO I have ever played, and I thought it was fine. Please believe me, I'm not lying when I say... I AM your typical NOOB!

A couple times I got myself in a jam and exploded, but WHO CARES!? Just tried it again with a different tactic and woohoo, I beat it! I didn't even know for a while that I had ship upgrades sitting in my inventory, I was just happily, naively going up against multiple Klingon ships with standard equipment -- most of this was by myself, I didn't have to ask people to join. Sometimes I failed and came back for more, other times I beat them on the first try when I got my shields in the right positions. How many times did those of us who grew up with SMB3, and later Goldeneye 64 and Diablo II, play the same mission over and over again, dying, learning from the experience, and coming back in with another strategy and more skill? Games nowadays where everything is so easy and straightforward and you have tons of lives, have spawned a generation of weak, whiny gamers who quit or complain if they don't get through it on the first try.

I really don't see the issue with dying a few times and I really don't think anything I've encountered in this game is impossible to progress past after two or three tries. If the game starts out hard and gets easier, then maybe the later parts should be HARDER, because I think it is fine the way it is at the beginning.

If they listen to people like you and nerf this game, I hope it IS prior to release so that I can cancel my subscription, along with all the hardcores, intermediates, and probably even many of the NOOBS LIKE ME.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-19-2010, 11:43 PM
It's kinda sad watching the handful of uber-dewd wannabes who want the game to be super hard for everyone. If they were as tough as they think they are they would be in Eve Online playing. It's literally everything they seem to want in STO.

STO needs to be Eve for people who have lives and aren't hormone addled teens and tweens.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-19-2010, 11:57 PM
You seem to have missed the thread date. Either case, leveling from start's still easy as hell even using terrible setups. Eve Online's also easy, with the exception of pvp, but that's just because they'll outnumber you as a solo player.