Lt. Commander
# 11
03-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberlerchner123 View Post
ermm thats Hyperdrive from Stargate
http://www.warpdrivetheory.org/

that site describes a real theoretical warp drive that causes, for lack of better language, a displacement that would allow you to fly through a planet from an observers POV, but in reality the planet was shifted by the warp effect to not be in your path. This drive needs no deflector as the field effect accomplishes this.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Which is fine, if they actually develop that form of warp drive, get it to work, and take mankind into the stars in the next few decades. That'd be awesome. We'd be living the dream. Well, ok, our kids would be living the dreams. But still! Mankind reaching the stars! Let's just hope we don't take the politics with us, cuz good God, the Milky Way would unite to obliterate us before we even got to Alpha Centari.

However, that's not the warp drive of Trek. I know, I know. Just sayin'.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlyman View Post
Which is fine, if they actually develop that form of warp drive, get it to work, and take mankind into the stars in the next few decades. That'd be awesome. We'd be living the dream. Well, ok, our kids would be living the dreams. But still! Mankind reaching the stars! Let's just hope we don't take the politics with us, cuz good God, the Milky Way would unite to obliterate us before we even got to Alpha Centari.

However, that's not the warp drive of Trek. I know, I know. Just sayin'.

Ugh. This is going to prove I've watched too much Star Trek. lol. And read too many books, including technical manuals. Interesting how I can do all that as a teenager and then 15 years later, still remember just about everything. But I digress..

Basic Warp theory in Star Trek states that the warp field is produced by the warp engine and then tuned through the plasma flows to the warp nacelles. The warp field does push "part" of the ship into subspace. Part, but not all. It is done that way to kind of sidestep Einstien's e=mc2 where as you approach lightspeed your mass approaches infinite and thus you need infinite energy to achieve full lightspeed.

By slipping "part" of the ship into subspace, through the warp field, it would negate the mass restrictions to approaching lightspeed and you could use a standard matter/antimatter reactor to give you the final push.

With that being said, even though 'part' of the ship is in subspace, it does not allow you a "phase transition". You can not fly directly through something while in warp.

My brain hurts now.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Riker
Noticed that I can turn the ship to look at a planet and I will warp away through it! Would be great if the ship automatically turned to the nearest 'clear space' when I click 'depart system' and then warp away.
I've had the same thought. I wonder how many times my Chief Engineer has filed a report with Starfleet about me warping through solid objects.

[rationale]
If you're close enough, the warp trails obviously go through the object. Can't help with that one.

But if they don't intersect the object, and you still see the little light flash, you entered warp before you hit the object.
[/rationale]
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Didn't Freelancer have a system whereby it would angle you away from hard objects before it blasted you off into space?

How hard would it be to put something like that in?
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Uhm there is no warp or anything similar in Freelancer. Freelancer has trade lanes and jumpgates.

Star Trek Bridge Commander turns you away from planets before you go to warp though.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberlerchner123 View Post
Uhm there is no warp or anything similar in Freelancer. Freelancer has trade lanes and jumpgates.

Star Trek Bridge Commander turns you away from planets before you go to warp though.
it does? never noticed
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4
Yes, I can totally see how this would be a game breaker for most people.

<~~ sarcasm smiley
Actually, you'd be surprised how many people get turned off by little things like this. I can't begin to count the number of people I've had to grasp at straws to explain this for. While it makes little difference to most of the people who are already playing the game, those who are viewing it for the first time often get the impression that the game is just completely unpolished and not worth paying for.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosquae View Post
Didn't Freelancer have a system whereby it would angle you away from hard objects before it blasted you off into space?

How hard would it be to put something like that in?
Actually, no. If I remember correctly, Freelancer was perfectly happy to let you burn your ship up in the atmosphere of a planet if you really wanted to.

EVE, however, will spend as much time as it needs to get you angled away from solid objects before opening the warp tunnel.

EDIT: Sorry for double post. It's late, and my brain has ceased most of its functions...
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4
Yes, I can totally see how this would be a game breaker for most people.

<~~ sarcasm smiley
Yes, it could ( and actually does) discourage people, because it shows "how much" attention to details the programmer had,.. all those small things like lacking/entirely wrong details on starship models, ugly textures (on starships) etc etc shows me, that those programmers/designers had no clue what they are doing or that they were very unmotivated.

They are obviously not able to create a small routine which checks, if the front of the starship is "clear" or not prior to a warp jump.. what can I expect from them at all?!