Lt. Commander
Dear Cryptic,

First off, let me say that I've only lurked in these forums since Beta. There's tons of helpful information and some really smart sorts, but the flaming, threadjacking, and endless QQ-ing can get rather tedious. That being the case, I would like it to be clear that I'm not generally going to jump on here and post without there being a clear rationale behind it.

I've played MMOs since UA and EQ, and I understand bugs, rushed release timetables, and challenging development situations. Balancing profit and programming can be a difficult proposition, I'm sure.

The bottom line, however, is bugs, the upcoming (possibly delayed?) release of Season One, and all the mini-annoyances that I've experienced in Star Trek Online really doesn't matter when the following is considered:

There are some real challenges currently in place to making this a functionally social MMO.

Case in point:

I am in a really large fleet and have been since jumping on here at Head Start, bought a Lifetime membership because I was grabbed by the space combat and premise after being a casual Trek-fan, and even shelled out a few clams for the Collector's Edition. Got plenty of folks to group with and connect with in-game and on vent and a growing Fleet community that is darn awesome.

Regardless of all that, when our Fleet decided to get together and jump into some Fleet Actions together (in this case the Crystalline Entity), it ended up being nothing more than a complete and total disaster.

Nope, it's not the mechanics of the fight or that some folks hadn't done it before.

Nope, it's not because the CE has been retooled in several patches to be more of a challenge.

Rather, it's because we couldn't even really get into an instance together as a complete Fleet effectively.

Every other major MMO out there right now has mechanisms and coding in place for groups/raids to be able to join an instance en masse. Not to use the dreaded '********' word, but even Blizzard had it so that you'd instance and not have completely random individuals popping in and out. We had 20 folks ready and 'rarin to go, but still ended up spilt from one another, unable to instance-transfer to group up, and stuck with random people zipping in and out of the instance and screwing everything up, frankly.

As of yet, I have not seen anything on the devs 'To-Do' list that includes grouping/instancing methods.

Cryptic, address this, please.

Sure, the haircuts, new unis, bug-squashing, and additional opportunities to put the hurt on the Borg are appreciated, even applauded.

But without the ability to effectively engage in Fleet Actions WITH MY OWN FLEET, you hamper my ability to really stay connected with this game and my fellow Fleet members. Over time, the cumulative effect will be my just being more interested in other games.

After the over $300 I've floated your way (and I'm far from alone in that area, to be sure), I'd think you'd have this addressed by now.

Hoping you take action soon.

-Xak
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-20-2010, 05:50 PM
There is a stickied thread for this in Gameplay, called Fleet Only Events or soemthing like that.

In that thread a Dev explains a way you can get around the soft / hard caps and essentially trick the system into creating your own fleet instance. The hard cap of 25 will still apply.

Lets say you fleet has 5 groups of 5.

The team leader of each group goes in, everyone else decline.

Those five capatains get into the same instance.

Then they start inviting their teams in.

At some point the game will recognize that the groupings will surpass the 20 man soft cap.

It will create a ew instance and all 25 of you will be in.

From what I understand of the dev's post, this is how it should work. He also said that fleet grouping is something they have on their agenda, so there is hope down the road for this issue.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2010, 05:50 PM
/signed - also a lifetime member with collectors edition (btw, I appreciate the dev signed copy of game case)
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2010, 05:56 PM
The method you mention Blod is exactly what our fleet tried to do...

But for whatever reason, it didn't work. Group leaders got 'stuck' in different instances, unable to change the instance and get out, and the game limited things to 20.

Regardless, since this is a MMORPG, the very fact that Fleet Action or even medium-sized grouping wasn't more clearly thought out, implemented, and planned out...

well, it was the one time in the last six weeks that I had to turn off the game and go watch tele I was so angry. I mean, gosh....
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Why should a fleet have to "trick" the system in the first place? There should really be a mechanism for fleet leaders to organize large groups of players for their own instance.

As for crystalline entity, I must request the challenge to be toned down. The devs themselves said STFs were to be the challenging content and fleet actions were for casuals. CE on the other hand is nowhere near causual, every time we got the entity down to 30%, a random player would spawn mines or try to ram the damn thing. /rant
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych2l View Post
Why should a fleet have to "trick" the system in the first place? There should really be a mechanism for fleet leaders to organize large groups of players for their own instance.

As for crystalline entity, I must request the challenge to be toned down. The devs themselves said STFs were to be the challenging content and fleet actions were for casuals. CE on the other hand is nowhere near causual, every time we got the entity down to 30%, a random player would spawn mines or try to ram the damn thing. /rant
There should be a GM stationed with the CE, ready to boot any player that seems to be griefing the encounter.....Drop one mine and you get booted!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xakhareth
As of yet, I have not seen anything on the devs 'To-Do' list that includes grouping/instancing methods.
Look harder; they're already working on it. I don't have a link handy to a dev statement on this, but I distinctly recall them talking about it a few times.