Lt. Commander
# 1 Cancel Subscription Question
03-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Hey folks,

I am planning to cancel my subscription with STO for a little while. I am planning to wait until June when S2 is released, or perhaps S3 and see where to go from there.

Just one question.

If I cancel, do I lose my characters? Sorry if that's an obtuse question. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimaz98
Hey folks,

I am planning to cancel my subscription with STO for a little while. I am planning to wait until June when S2 is released, or perhaps S3 and see where to go from there.

Just one question.

If I cancel, do I lose my characters? Sorry if that's an obtuse question. Thanks.
Eventually...
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Could you be a bit more specific? How long does it take for the characters on my account to be deleted? What are the pre-requisites for character deletion?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimaz98
Could you be a bit more specific? How long does it take for the characters on my account to be deleted? What are the pre-requisites for character deletion?

I am not certain, but i would bet that they NEVER delete them.

It is the way with all MMOs, they are always glad to see you come back!
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Its not good business sense to erase characters from inactive accounts. I have played a bunch (and when say a bunch I mean a BUNCH) of MMOs over the years and never have I seen a company purge inactive characters. There is always a chance that said person will come back. If his characters are gone he wont be here long.

For example I used to play ultima online and quit around Jan of 2001. I saw they had a welcome back weekend I logged in and all my characters were there. Thats 9 years inactive and they didnt purge my guys. I think you are safe.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-20-2010, 11:03 PM
MMOs don't delete your character when you unsubscribe.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
MMOs don't delete your character when you unsubscribe.
http://www.massively.com/2010/01/11/...an-characters/
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkornn
"Threatening"

Even if they do, it will be a first. The OP that asked the question can pretty much rest assured that their 'toons' will not be deleted.

That is all.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkornn
Your article says only two games out of all MMOs ever created have deleted inactive characters. Also even funcom is only deleting characters level 20 or under (you cannot even leave the tutorial island as far as I recall until level 20). So basically they are saying that they are deleting characters people got sick of and never even finished the tutorial with.

Hardly debunks atmoic's assertion.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandymanCD View Post
"Threatening"

Even if they do, it will be a first. The OP that asked the question can pretty much rest assured that their 'toons' will not be deleted.

That is all.
That is an old article, Funcom has already done it...

I am not arguing about it on either side, just stating that it has been done...