Lt. Commander
Right now, you go to some random star cluster that looks like fog and click on stuff to get random missions... there is a simple solution that I think would make exploration more enjoyable.

Have opportunities to explore random systems/have random encounters on EVERY map. The closer to Sol, the less likely that you will run into a random system/encounter because more has been explored by the Federation in that area - and those missions you run into will deal more with Federation research bases, etc.. Once you reach the more difficult sectors, especially Borg Space - the chance of random encounters/missions is a lot higher and you'll run into missions that have NOTHING to do with research bases because the Federation hasn't reached that far into space.

But here's the catch - you don't HAVE to do them. You would be flying around and your bridge officer would pop up telling you that there is a new (uncharted) system that you are passing and if you want to explore it. It's YOUR choice whether you want to or not. If you don't you continue like nothing has happened before - BUT the game marks the system on your Sector Space (and only yours, its like your own little quest) until you decide you want to visit and explore or bring along some friends!

So you could conceivably have a TON of random missions lined up for you if you are busy and just decide to fly past them to do your Quest line. However, you can just delete them if you really don't care about exploration missions.

But if you DO care, then it would really be cool having your Sector Space slowly fill up with random systems to explore.

Another thing that could happen, from time to time Starfleet could contact you and mention a system that needs exploration, and where it is, and again it would be added to YOUR sector space for you to explore.

I think this is a really good idea and better then just having all of the exploration in a random Sector Space that looks like pea soup.

Also, implementing a system such as this would allow the inclusion (later down the road) of missions that are specific to simple exploration... you are flying around and your Bridge Officer tells you that you have discovered a new system. You chose to explore it and warp into a system that has a huge nebula that needs scanning, or a planet that might or might not have lifeforms living on it, or even a huge sun that is about to go nova.

These random missions would have a simple solution, scanning the nebula/planet/star, but there bonus would be a few "extra" random anomalies lying around - instead of finding 1 or 2, there are maybe 3 or 4, even 5 - whether they would be INSIDE the nebula, or around the planet/star.

Once you scan the object in question, you can collect the anomalies or just leave the system and continue on your way!

This post was brought back from the "beta boards" because I believe it is an exemplary solution to the current random exploration routine, or could be added as an addition to what is now featured. If anyone from Cryptic reads this, please consider it and throw the idea out around the office, and for those reading this and who agree with this idea,
please support it! - I don't think it would be difficult to implement at all, the main thing is allowing each player's account to save these exploration "points" as they find them.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Since new 'content' patches are coming out and the developers had mentioned that they were working on ideas to make Exploration more exciting and entertaining, I felt that bringing this back to the surface for everyone to read would be a good idea. Like I said in the original post, I hope people agree and support this idea and that the developers will take a serious look at it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2010, 01:45 AM
I like the idea of random events, but random exploration doesn't sound good to me. I was hoping what you propose would be for the day that the bridge becomes more functional. You could travel from your bridge and these random events would occure from time to time.

Exploration should have been a more open space exploration. It should have been much larger space with an active scan sending you in the correct direction. Finding an unexplored system or something similar. Then the random quests would kick in from the genesis program.

It would be a dramatic improvement if they just got rid of the foggy pizza box with random lines as anomalies. That is just wrong IMHO.

I like the random events, but I think exploration should be, you know, exploration.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2010, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylan
I like the idea of random events, but random exploration doesn't sound good to me. I was hoping what you propose would be for the day that the bridge becomes more functional. You could travel from your bridge and these random events would occure from time to time.

Exploration should have been a more open space exploration. It should have been much larger space with an active scan sending you in the correct direction. Finding an unexplored system or something similar. Then the random quests would kick in from the genesis program.

It would be a dramatic improvement if they just got rid of the foggy pizza box with random lines as anomalies. That is just wrong IMHO.

I like the random events, but I think exploration should be, you know, exploration.
I concur I agree exploration should be exploration that's why the events happen more often the further away from Earth you are. The level of programing REAL exploration would take is staggering and I don't know if Cryptic is up to it. I hope I'm 100% wrong, though.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan_chShran View Post
I concur I agree exploration should be exploration that's why the events happen more often the further away from Earth you are. The level of programing REAL exploration would take is staggering and I don't know if Cryptic is up to it. I hope I'm 100% wrong, though.
You know, another idea would go hand in hand with ship interiors and bridge function.

Once they get real ship interiors. I could see exploration taking place on your bridge. Instead of warping into a small pizza box area. They could have you warp, then put you on your bridge. The viewscreen becomes random open deep space. You have your BO actively scan for new anomalies. Once one is found, you simulate the travel to the system and the quest kicks in.

This would allow for almost any type of random event and quest. Events could be the simple scan the system to being boarded by a random alien lifeform you need to defend against. It would definitely get rid of the pizza box feeling. While giving you the feeling of actually being on your ship.

For group play, they could just tie in each event to include everyone in the group. You would then all enter the same event instance when you accept the quest.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Well who DOESN'T want working starship interiors? The fake viewscreen is so annoying. But it would be cool to integrate REAL exploration missions (instead of all shooting missions) where you explore nebula, etc. while you sit in your Captain's chair. You should also be able to decide which BO sits where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylan
You know, another idea would go hand in hand with ship interiors and bridge function.

Once they get real ship interiors. I could see exploration taking place on your bridge. Instead of warping into a small pizza box area. They could have you warp, then put you on your bridge. The viewscreen becomes random open deep space. You have your BO actively scan for new anomalies. Once one is found, you simulate the travel to the system and the quest kicks in.

This would allow for almost any type of random event and quest. Events could be the simple scan the system to being boarded by a random alien lifeform you need to defend against. It would definitely get rid of the pizza box feeling. While giving you the feeling of actually being on your ship.

For group play, they could just tie in each event to include everyone in the group. You would then all enter the same event instance when you accept the quest.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Thats an amazing post mate. Excellent ideas. Well done!
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balistic View Post
Thats an amazing post mate. Excellent ideas. Well done!
Thanks, Balistic. From my mouth to "Gods" ears, right?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Personally I want to see something like the Dynaverse system put in place, at least for explored space/political zones. The Genesis system sounds nice as well. And to elaborate further, while it is somewhat like that now, it needs a bit more variety, especially in war-zones, like hitting convoy's, and I would also like to see some politics like that in Mount and Blade, where players can participate in major actions against other powers, and even complete hard missions to bring about a temporary cease fire, and even start a war. But a Genesis system for exploration does sound intriguing. If they actually got this game off the ground every planet you come across could itself be a huge game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Random exploration is acool idea. Another variant on the many varieties being voiced, including my own. Hopefully cryptic hears us and tries to get as many of the ideas in as possible.

When I first got into this game I was expecting to be able to fly around pretty much where I wanted to go with emergencies and missions popping up as required. A possible random mission, whilst not being an exploration, could be something as current exists for Pico but more of them. A ship flies near a set area and triggers a request for assistance or a command to go investigate.

Here's one of the main exploration threads running at the moment.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=128276

And another with exploration sections in a very detailed list of possible enhancements to the game.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...124023&page=36

And something to make them more fun to do

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=124944

And of course my own suggestions in my signature.