Lt. Commander
# 21
03-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Actually, I have to agree with the ones who say it could be a deal-breaker.

It's one of those little details that will bother those who know, and those who don't know will still register, at least subconsciously, "that's not right".

BUT:

If you've finished the mission, and are ready to move on, do you want to wait while your ship turns to a clear facing? Do you think those who don't care will want to?

I think it's one of those things that would have been great if it had been there at the start, but putting it in now would annoy more people than it pleases.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp_Hazzard
If you've finished the mission, and are ready to move on, do you want to wait while your ship turns to a clear facing? Do you think those who don't care will want to?
Actually, the camera is zooming onto the ship already when you're about to warp out. Where is the problem to use these seconds to get the ship automaticly in the correct position?!

I say, the only problem is, that no DEV/programmer/designer cares about such details. Thats exactly(!) the point: rush rush, no eyes for details or eye-candys.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-zulu
Actually, the camera is zooming onto the ship already when you're about to warp out. Where is the problem to use these seconds to get the ship automaticly in the correct position?!

I say, the only problem is, that no DEV/programmer/designer cares about such details. Thats exactly(!) the point: rush rush, no eyes for details or eye-candys.
If the ship swung as fast as the camera does (I usually look away to avoid vertigo), no problem. If we had to wait while it turned on thrusters only, no way.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Most likely because they would have to change something big in the game for your ship to register that there is a planet in front of it, then to turn it and then to warp out.

honestly a deal breaker? really? Even in a galaxy you can turn away from a planet in about 2 seconds then click exit....its a smaller thing than everyone is making it out to be.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-22-2010, 01:15 PM
And remember, if you see the flash at the end, you entered warp before you hit the planet.

I wouldn't want to have to clean the Space Traffic Controller's seat, though.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-zulu
Yes, it could ( and actually does) discourage people, because it shows "how much" attention to details the programmer had,.. all those small things like lacking/entirely wrong details on starship models, ugly textures (on starships) etc etc shows me, that those programmers/designers had no clue what they are doing or that they were very unmotivated.

They are obviously not able to create a small routine which checks, if the front of the starship is "clear" or not prior to a warp jump.. what can I expect from them at all?!
Ohh, I know the answer to this one. We can expect that they aren't willing to waste our time with worthless routines and details, like waiting for our ship to turn around before warping out, instead of letting us get back to playing asap. Well, that is as soon as we click 'Yes, I really want to go to the next map'.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelspawn18 View Post
honestly a deal breaker? really? Even in a galaxy you can turn away from a planet in about 2 seconds then click exit....its a smaller thing than everyone is making it out to be.
Like I said, it's more of a deal for people who aren't playing the game. For those who are playing, it's kind of a pain to explain to your friends who are watching you play that there's a perfectly logical reason why you don't collide with the big, round thing when you warp towards it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie_chan
You could do that

or

you could make explosion noises and pretend you ship went boom
LOL Thats what I do!
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-22-2010, 07:52 PM
star trek IP is old. therefore their FTL travel theories are also old. ever look out the window when a ship is in warp, stars are just flying by, consider how utterly fast a ship is moving if a star <insert really big number> billions of AU'saway zip along at a diagonal view forward to a diagonal view backward it makes u wonder why they dont crash into planet if they werent able to fly right through them in the first place.

here u go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

thats what old gene roddenberry was thinking about but the theory wasnt out yet and it was probably harder to show given they were working with models and cameras and not CGI than it was worth.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-22-2010, 08:03 PM
They dont hit planets and stars while i warp because they dont come anywhere near any objects of that size. The distance between large objects in space is so vast a course could be plotted easily without having to worry about that. And the deflector dish handles the smaller stuff.