Lt. Commander
# 31
03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
i understand space is huge but u missed the point. theres an unlimited amount of lights outside their windows when they warp so there is also an unlimited amount of lights/stars in front of them, given the speed they pass stars(they zip along the windows in under seconds) odds are they would collide with one of the lights in front of them. also you can not overlook the in numberable amount of planet size rocks floating in space that would not be on a "star map" mathmatically if ships could not pass freely(in a sense) through large solids there would be a ton of ships MIA due to collisions over time.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-22-2010, 08:22 PM
What are you talking about? In reality you dont see lights when you are in space. THe lights zipping past the windows are for the TV show its just an effect, like phaser and explosion sounds in space. If one of those "lights" came close enough to collide with you're ship it wouldnt look like a light it would be a huge star.

The deflector handles most of the mitigation of objects, and anything that big would show up on sensors and they could make course corrections.
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
what are you talking about? you see lights in space just like anywhere else (we've had ppl in space and there were lights from the stars and our own sun for example, stars just dont disappear when you exit atmophere). its just for the TV show? we're talking about the TV show. how do u correct for an object when u are traveling faster than light? any readings on said object would be days/weeks/years old unless <insert mumbo jumbo magical device that scans objects at FTL capability> which you cant put past a TV show b/c its all fiction. and thats where im ending my involvement in this thread b/c arguing this point makes no sense b/c once again its all ficition but if you want real life correlation to an idea a very old IP is trying to use, once again direct yourself to : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by igloo View Post
what are you talking about? you see lights in space just like anywhere else (we've had ppl in space and there were lights from the stars and our own sun for example, stars just dont disappear when you exit atmophere). its just for the TV show? we're talking about the TV show. how do u correct for an object when u are traveling faster than light? any readings on said object would be days/weeks/years old unless <insert mumbo jumbo magical device that scans objects at FTL capability> which you cant put past a TV show b/c its all fiction. and thats where im ending my involvement in this thread b/c arguing this point makes no sense b/c once again its all ficition but if you want real life correlation to an idea a very old IP is trying to use, once again direct yourself to : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
the "stars" zipping past the windows are actually particles being vaporized or deflected by the warp bubble, the deflector and the long range deflector (which i read can nudge an asteroid out of the ships way)
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-23-2010, 03:37 AM
Of course you would see our own sun in space, its nearby. You dont see distance stars though...its just blackness.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-23-2010, 03:54 AM
heh?! I'm looking forward to your explanation tho I can imagine where this opinion comes from..
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Its our atmosphere if im not mistaken tht causes us to be able to see stars like we do in the night sky.

Havennt you seen pictures from orbit and such...you dont see distant stars in space.

The warp bubble doesnt make your ship intangible, it doesnt just pass through objects, if that was the case the ship wouldnt need a deflector dish. Maybe you dont understand how vast space is, and in all of the warp timelines save for maybe Cochranes warp flight they have star charts and sensor scans to make course corrections off of.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelspawn18 View Post
Havennt you seen pictures from orbit and such...you dont see distant stars in space.
Thats because of the cameras with their light-exposure times etc.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-24-2010, 05:01 AM
Yes, this warping through planets should be fixed, I have also by mistake showed people that.
Then they think that the game sucks...
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I just figure that It only looks like I'm hitting a planet when in reality what actually happens is that I flew into a wandering loading screen!