Lt. Commander
# 1 [Suggestion] Dynamic BO-Sets
03-16-2010, 08:00 AM
This is a copy of this thread I posted in the STO Diskussion section of the forum. But due to high traffic in that section it went ouf of attention to fast.

Do you want to be able to change your Bridge Crew without the necessity to reconfigure your keybindings?
Do you want to be able to switch ships and keep your keybindings?
Then read ahead and vote for this (or a similar change)

Feature Request: Dynamic BO-Sets
(I am not a native speaker, may be someone can come up with a better name for this feature).

Summary:
I would like to have the feature to dynamically select (i.e. in the HUD) between different sets of Bridge Officers.
While this is already possible by simply exchanging the BOs one by one in the assignment dialog, this procedure is a very unpleasant experience.
Because your keybindings are lost and (sometimes) automatically changed by the system. I would like to have the feature to dynamically
select between different pre-configured sets of BOs together with my pre-configured keybindings.

More detailed Description:
Please follow me in my top down description of the feature. I will focus on the bridge officer set for space operations, but I think the general principle will also work for ground away teams.
Step 1: HUD-Addition
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/324cfa99ee.jpg
With a simple mouse-click you can quickly replace your current set of bridge officers with a different set, that may be better suited for the pending job.
This will not only exchange the officers, but also replace the skills and associated keybindings.
(Remark: A select box would be better suited for the bo set selection than an up/down selector, but I am lazy and I could copy this one :-)

Step 2: Re-Design of Assignment Dialog
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uplo...4b302daed1.jpg
The dialog is expanded in two ways.
One selector box for choosing the bo set under definition and every bo-station with fields for specifying the key bindings for every power available at that station. Each BO-Power is assigned a user defined unique Tray/Slot Combination. Replacing a BO in a specific station will only exchange the powers of the old bo with the powers of the new bo and not the keybinding.

Advantages:
With this feature you can easily adapt to the current situation.
You could have different bo-sets for PVE and PVP, or sets with more AoE-Power, or sets with more offensive/defensive abilities. It would even support Role Playing: You don't want your Federation Klingon Officer to fight against other Klings, just swap it out.

Abuse-Protection:
Replacing an BO will immediately stop/dispel all effects caused by his powers.
Only possible out of Combat.

Diskuss.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Excellent idea, would like to see this as a HUD toggle or something.

As you say, it is ...unpleasent to have to go into assignments and reset your BOs and then remap your ability keys.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Awesome idea, that I suggested by expanded to our ships' gear as well. It's all in my signature

By the way, your 2nd pictures' link was message up, so I fixed it here
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-23-2010, 12:32 AM
thx for the fix
and your support
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Yes, yes, yes. I'm not hung up on *how* it's implemented, but I would give my left eye to switch a bridge officer and not have to drag powers around immediately afterwards.

Whether this is done with multiple assignment setups with unique keybindings, or even just letting me choose to associate the station slot with the key instead of the power (much like your readied consumables work) is immaterial to me -- I can adjust to either!