Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyJones View Post
Wasn't this the special Klingon weapon from Starfleet Command II: Orion Pirates?
SFC/OP is still my favorite trek game to date, I don't recall a magnetic pulse??
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-24-2010, 06:10 AM
It's basically a purple blob in the unremastered episode.
Back then the Klingons had now ship model, they received it in the third season.
You can see the Enterprise with this weapon here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjCNeDJr5Bs

It's at 1:18 and Kirk calls the shots "magnetic pulses".
They became blue in the Remastered edition but nothing else changes.
This is also the only episode they are metioned in.

As for the arc in Star Trek 3 (and 5) : It was not really an arc, more like a green ball.

http://services.tos.net/pics/st5/st5-kli3.jpg

Personally I always figured it was a very small Plasma Torpedo launcher.
Interesting is also that is looks almost exactly like the Type F Plasma launchers from SFC.
This would also fit well with the original backstory that the ship was stolen from the
Romulans.
Additionally the weapon in ST3 looks nothing like the one the BoP in Star Trek 6 used, so
it can't be a photon.

Of course the idea that the Klingons used some other kind of torpedo in the Origninal Series was pretty much overruled by "Enterprise" where the Klingons were supposed to have Photon Torpedoes.
However Hoshi actually made a mistake since she said pu'Dah dak cha, which is made from the words phaser, something in the middle, and torpedo.
Actually otlh cha means Photon torpedo.
I do NOT speak Klingon, but I know that much.
So either it is a weapon different from our familiar Photons or it is simply a different name for them.
I mean a Photon Torpedo uses matter and antimatter seperated from another by *drumrolls* a magnetic field.
I must admit I would the Klingons to have a torpedo weapon of their own.
Of course everyone can use everyones weapons if he pleases, but the Feds have Photons and Quantums, the Romulans have Photons and Plasmas and the Klingons...?
I very much liked the idea from Microprose's "Birth of the Federation" where the Federation had Photons on the earlier and Quantums on the later ships, and the Klingons upgraded from Photons to Ion-Torpedoes.
Perhaps something like that as a modern successor would be quite nice.
Take a look at what the (K'Vort=supersized) Bird of Prey fires at around 4 minutes into the vid, does it look like your average Photon Torpedo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8cMV...eature=related

They did not simply copy the Torpedo effect from the Enterprise D and turned it green or something.
It looks a lot different from other torps.
I'm all for a new type of torpedo for/from the Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-24-2010, 09:16 AM
it looked like that one round of torpedoes a little half way through the ep was a light bluish or purplish color when fired then slowly changed to a light green before impact..
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-24-2010, 10:00 AM
umm, blueish?
Were you at right the timeindex?

The one at 4:03 is the one I was talking about.

The one at 6:10, which is blue, is NOT a torpedo.
The dialogue in the episode also clearly identifies it as a disruptor.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxe

The only group this would be applicable to, if I recall correctly, would be the Cardassians. They seem to break the mold in that they use Photons, but theirs are somehow color-shifted to be more of a yellowish instead of the otherwise standard red.
I was under the impression that a photon was a lightwave/particle and could therefore be any color, depending on its vibratory frequency.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-24-2010, 01:08 PM
right after the enterptrise flys off, and worf is ordered to fire
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I was under the impression that a photon was a lightwave/particle and could therefore be any color, depending on its vibratory frequency.
He's using photon as short for photon torpedo. He's not referring to the elementary unit of light.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyJones View Post
Wasn't this the special Klingon weapon from Starfleet Command II: Orion Pirates?
I think that was the Ion pulse cannon that actually also found it's way into SFC III. Wicked short range weapon much like the Romulan plasma Torpedos , fun stuff , ah , the memories. The weapons impact disapated with increasing range , much like the show , TOS.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Technically the color of any of the wepons would be "Tuneable" since the radiated color that is visible would be waste energy and not related to the weapon. At least when you consider the fictional logic on how these things work, lasers on the other hand would be various colors depending on the frequency of the emission red for low power bluer for higher power and would still be due to wasted "lost" energy from the beams.

Phaser and Disruptor colors are by cannon due to impurities in the crystals used to collimate the beams, the color of the field surrounding the matter/anti-matter in photon torpedos is a function of wasted radiated energy, Plasma Torps would be the only consistantly colored weapon based on cannon information I have read over the last 3 or 4 decades.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
I think that was the Ion pulse cannon that actually also found it's way into SFC III. Wicked short range weapon much like the Romulan plasma Torpedos , fun stuff , ah , the memories. The weapons impact disapated with increasing range , much like the show , TOS.

You would have loved Starfleet Battles before the days of Computer games. Well I should say before the days of seriously graphical computer games.