Lt. Commander
# 11
03-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Being ex-WoW and a casual gamer myself, my hope is that all this "Extreme" difficulty raid stuff is meant to keep the current lvl 45 busy instead of moaning about being bored

If Cryptic is half awake they should know that hardcore raiders make up a small minority...most people can not afford to spend 3/5 hours tied to a computer and keep a family life as well.

In 4+ years of WoW, I only got to see 1 raid and that was due to my son who was a hardcore raider (should have spent more time on Uni instead).
Lt. Commander
# 12 wait, it gets worse
03-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Another thing occured to me tonight, and that is not only are the STFs an exponential increase in difficulty, but they put the main storyline there as well. If you want to find out how everything with the Borg works out, you have to play the raids. No episode missions for the storyline with raids being an adjunct like the Deep Space Encounters, but the main storyline is there as well. So thanks Gozer, 99% of the playerbase wont get to know how the story continues. I don't know what to do. I don't want to play these raids as they are now, and certainly not as they're going to be, but I did that whole story only to be screwed at the end; kind of like that new book you bought is missing the last 2 chapters. Or perhaps the last two chapters require you to jump lakes of fire in order to get to read them. Screwing tens of thousands of players over who will never see the end of the story is how they work now apparently. I'm just sad.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
Another thing occured to me tonight, and that is not only are the STFs an exponential increase in difficulty, but they put the main storyline there as well. If you want to find out how everything with the Borg works out, you have to play the raids. No episode missions for the storyline with raids being an adjunct like the Deep Space Encounters, but the main storyline is there as well. So thanks Gozer, 99% of the playerbase wont get to know how the story continues. I don't know what to do. I don't want to play these raids as they are now, and certainly not as they're going to be, but I did that whole story only to be screwed at the end; kind of like that new book you bought is missing the last 2 chapters. Or perhaps the last two chapters require you to jump lakes of fire in order to get to read them. Screwing tens of thousands of players over who will never see the end of the story is how they work now apparently. I'm just sad.
Well to quote the people Ive played the "raid" thing with.

"Sure was fun up till the stupid mario brothers crap. If I wanted to play nintendo I sure wouldnt be paying monthly to do that."

I pretty much agree with them. Two things I personally cant stand in games are jumping and time limtis. This one level thing combines both. So i cant really find a fault in their complaints about it.

I cant speak for others besides the group I run with but our group HATES that level.

It takes no effort to get to the end but the players I game with had problems with the jumps. I actually had no problems with it which is strange because I avoid jump stuff normally and the ones that are having problems usually do great at that.

Course we are used to games dating back to quake 3 arena that had real jumping and not this corny stuff sto has. Found it comical myself thinking that a game that has such a horrible jumping system made it required for end game content. But thats just my personal view.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-22-2010, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykeng
If Cryptic is half awake they should know that hardcore raiders make up a small minority...most people can not afford to spend 3/5 hours tied to a computer and keep a family life as well.
You guys realize that infected has 3 different parts, which can all be done on different days, right?
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-22-2010, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelteel View Post
You guys realize that infected has 3 different parts, which can all be done on different days, right?
Even than some of us dont like to do that anymore thanks to Wow and its Players..
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
So Infected is a 2/10 difficulty and we have 8 more levels of difficulty to go according to that chat. This is insane. At this point in development to go for content exponentially harder (and far, far harder than Infected coming!) than the game we bought, without the new content for everyone. This is what we get. It's just sad really; I believe they will lose more subscriptions to people who don't want to play that way and have nothing left to do than they will keep of people who will only stay if the game can become far, far harder than it was. This is where the man hours go now. If this is what we can expect for the future of the game as a whole I wont be playing it. And I already paid for a lifetime sub, so who's the sucker now? Me, and Gozer is at the heart of making one out of me.
/facepalm.

Great.

The infinitely respawning enemies and timers in the final room are just plain annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-24-2010, 04:02 AM
Ok stepping in here in favor of WoW which is a real facepalm for STO.

First i like the game STO it feels cool for me.

The Raidisode is strange, it goes against everything you do from lvl 1-45, which is zerging. But im okay with that, since i play alot of WoW i can deal with the little movement and teamwork needed to complete it.

It also has 90% ground combat. Fix that, i play STO for the space combat part, if i wanted ground combat extraordinaire, i can go back to WoW, cause its better there. It has to be 2 expansions with the 3rd coming up and 5 years of development, you cant compete. So try to focus on what is unique in STO, the fast and enjoyable space combat. Make the tactical cube mroe interesting, instead of just a huge blob of mobs with a boss inside.

And lastly, make raidisodes easier, as in make more checkpoints. Blizzard has changed the whole game design over the course of its current expansion, just to appeal to casual gamers, because they finally realized, that the silent masses who are the important customers, well theyre casuals. Currently only the last few final bosses cant be reached by casuals in a pug. Thats it, everything else is within their reach.

Sure i did infected with a pug, but it took like 4 hours and i wont go into it again, unless its with guildies, and more organization.

Rant off.

Cryptic the game is good, make it better for the casuals, they pay WAY more money, than the hardcore gamers. If you try to appeal to the 2nd group only, youll end up giving money away.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-24-2010, 09:48 AM
I do have a suggestion for the Borg.Its an upgrade.Rotate their damage resistance.Thats means every ten seconds they are immune to one type of damage.Since a player can only carry two types of damage on them on the ground,it will make Infected much more interesting and more challenging than just whacking more respawns.
Maybe even do it for their ships in space too.It will force players to use varied weapons loadouts when fighting Borg.Or am i making it too difficult?
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMS View Post
I do have a suggestion for the Borg.Its an upgrade.Rotate their damage resistance.Thats means every ten seconds they are immune to one type of damage.Since a player can only carry two types of damage on them on the ground,it will make Infected much more interesting and more challenging than just whacking more respawns.
Maybe even do it for their ships in space too.It will force players to use varied weapons loadouts when fighting Borg.Or am i making it too difficult?
I was under the impression that they already would gain increased shield resistance to damage types that were used against them, which would diminish if different types were used. Which makes more sense and is more appropriately targeted than what you suggest.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
I really wonder how many man hours have been wasted on building these exponentially harder, buggy missions that perhaps 1% of the playerbase will complete, all early in the game's development when there are lots and lots of things that could have been done by those men during those hours that would have benefitted tens of thousands more players. Anyone you have working on these things could have been doing more to help your game than they are doing now.

I think it is more than 1%, maybe as much as 10%. The problem with the whole argument, x mission is too hard and everyone will leave, is, its not correct. Most likely as much as 50% of the server is mindless roleplayers who will never level to end content anyway. So they can afford to lose the "underachievers".

Also guys, Cryptic has been in this business a long time, they know damn well those of you crying about Infected, will never leave until you finally stop crying and cancel your account. If you want to send a message, cancel your account, if not stop crying, Cryptic will not listen to you crying in the forums.

That being said, I have three RA5s, and I have never even seen the final boss in infected, though I have cleared up to that point over a dozen times. I have tried "The Cure" a couple of times and similar results. I am very happy I will get to respec my characters though, but I dont anticipate playing much past that.

I do not think Cryptic intended for this game to be as popular as it was at launch, I believe "Infected" and "The Cure" are Cryptic's way of getting the player base back to a manageable level.