Lt. Commander
# 1 Infected aka Borg Zerg Rush
03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
So I have been playing with this raidisode with a few different parties now...it seems like the entire instance is really just a Borg Zerg Rush, four people distract/kite Borg while person goes in blows up a node and then everyone moves forward to the next Zerg Rush.

The first room, this was interesting. The second room, this was ok, the third room I was bored, and by the forth room I was yawning, and by the fifth and on I just wanted to get this place done with.

I wish there had been some better planning in here...the idea for a Borg Zerg rush is fine, but you can't build an entire instance out of this and expect people to not be bored...

I'd recommend mixing it up so that maybe the first room has a node and zerg rush, the next room then has an elite borg who "beams/summons" in more until you kill him, then maybe you just have a room with a lot of borg and a few turrets that do a lot of aoe damage so you have to use a strategy like drawing the borg out, killing them, then destroying the turrets one at a time...then make the last room a combination of these instead of just a room with a bunch of nodes.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2010, 03:30 AM
Ill chime in here, it feels the most right without me opening a new thread.

Hes right, the ground combat part is way too long/boring.

STO is unique because it has space and ground combat. Use that, i mean really use both. Ground combat is done pretty much everywhere else, and far better often too, but then other games have years into that.

Give the next raid a better space part. Or more.

Reduce the grind for the ground combat part, a good PUG can pull one group at a time and it not wipe once. Good. Difficulty level is correct.

But its too much of the same. I love the way some drones bring in protos in death, enhance that.
NO dont bring in even more on death stuff with the current groups, but do a room, with eg a tactical elite, which on death releases 10 protos.

Yeah i can keep going on this. But then ill have a circle with a single topic.

Basically the trash has a good difficulty level, but theres too muh of it.

Play some other well known MMO. No this is not a joke, its what a raid should be like. Trash there is like a miniboss, tactical elites with a small group and interlink node feel just fine like that. But they have alot less trash, about 2 rooms, then its the first boss. Then 1 room and boss, then 1 room and boss. And immediately another boss. Basically its an example of what i was trying to say before. Less trash more boss encounters.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-25-2010, 10:09 AM
There are ways to do it without zerging, its not difficult to figure out tbh.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kor_Dahar_Master View Post
Screenie or it didn.....oh never mind.
Grtz all
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
I didn't say our team zerg rushed...I said the instance is a Borg Zerg Rush, in that it's nothing but room after room of the same slow dumb borgs and the same kill node, kill borg, kill node, kill borg, repeat till done.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymond
I didn't say our team zerg rushed...I said the instance is a Borg Zerg Rush, in that it's nothing but room after room of the same slow dumb borgs and the same kill node, kill borg, kill node, kill borg, repeat till done.
Sry i read your idea of a tactic in killing the nodes and figured you needed a better one.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Sry i read your idea of a tactic in killing the nodes and figured you needed a better one.
So where did you offer a different strategy in your post?

Each group I've done it with seems to have one dedicated node killer...do you recommend everyone just target the nodes first then deal with the borg zerg? I've been in a group that tried that but the borg always seemed to over run us by the time the second node was down.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymond
So where did you offer a different strategy in your post?

Each group I've done it with seems to have one dedicated node killer...do you recommend everyone just target the nodes first then deal with the borg zerg? I've been in a group that tried that but the borg always seemed to over run us by the time the second node was down.
1. Pull the patrols well away from the noded groups first (without aggroing the drones connected to the node) as they are not connected and kill them first.

2. All stay at 30ish meters from the node and fire on the closest node ONLY (in the first room) to kill it then fall back without pulling the second node group, Use force field from the engineers bunker kit to stop being overun and kill the pulled drones.

3. Kill the second node in the room and then its drones.

4. Repeat these steps for the other rooms/corridors.

You do not need to all charge into a room and aggro both groups to target and hit the closest node, most of your weapons have a 30m range so use it and after pulling the patrols kill one node fall back and kill the drones connected to it, then kill the second node and the drones connected to that. Infact a sniper rifle for the nodes is very useful as split beams can annoy groups connected to other nodes in the room.

If you use corners and doorways to reduce incoming fire it will give your healer and cost you less hypos, after all the only drone you need to see is the one you are shooting at so standing in the open getting hammered by 8 of em is kinda daft. Plus you are only a step or two from full cover and safety so you can heal or recharge your shields safely without taking fire.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-26-2010, 03:12 PM
That's the long version of the strategy posted in my original post...

Doesn't change the fact or my point that the borg just come out as a zerg and you repeat this process for what...10 rooms and 20 groups? It's boring and the 1 epic at the end isn't worth it.

Edit: To make sure I'm being as clear as possible...

Borg = They just seem like a Zerg instead of being an interesting or dynamic battle
Our Group = Lure out Kill Node
Raid = Kill node, after node, after node in room, after room, after room with no variation
No Variation = Lazy design and a problem imo
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-26-2010, 06:45 PM
its the same in about every other mmo