Lt. Commander
# 11
03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
So everybody would pass out and I would be able to keep up with their leveling pace sounds like a plan to me.
Yep.

And don't even get me started on what happens when someone mentions "grappling rules."

Every time I played D&D, I had an explicit agreement with the other players and the DM that grappling shall not exist in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Yep.

And don't even get me started on what happens when someone mentions "grappling rules."

Every time I played D&D, I had an explicit agreement with the other players and the DM that grappling shall not exist in this game.
Oh Grappling rules! forgot about those. Anybody mentions or uses grappling rules: everybody kisses the person next to them Nyum
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Yep.

...that stinks. I would often grapple guys and throw them off ledges, towers, out windows, cliffs.

Then there is always the henchman recruiting game of 'grab the greased up halfling'. Players need a porter or someone to hold the horses? Go into town and offer a job to hold our horses that pays 100 gold pieces to whoever can grab the greased up halfling.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
...that stinks. I would often grapple guys and throw them off ledges, towers, out windows, cliffs.

Then there is always the henchman recruiting game of 'grab the greased up halfling'. Players need a porter or someone to hold the horses? Go into town and offer a job to hold our horses that pays 100 gold pieces to whoever can grab the greased up halfling.
When a single combat maneuver needs a book all of its own to make the rules clear, I call foul.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
When a single combat maneuver needs a book all of its own to make the rules clear, I call foul.
There is a grappling book? That is too far.

Way I found it to work in 3.5 was:
1. announce grapple
2. thing about to being grappled gets an attack of oppurtunity unless:
a. Has already used attack of oppurtunity(s) for the round
b. Initiator has Improved Grapple
3. Resolve Attack of Oppurtunity
4. Initiator makes a melee touch attack against the thing he is grappling
5. If touch attack is successful, roll opposing grapple checks. Initiator uses his strength while the defender can use strength, dexterity, or escape artist
6. If initiator wins, the defender has been grappled and restrained and has a limited choice of options. Otherwise nothing else happens.
Aside: Defender can make successive Strength, Dexterity, or Escape Artist checks to escape on their next turns
7. A second opposed grapple check (a pin check) can be made to pin an opponent, further restricting the opponent and possibly dealing subdual damage.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
There is a grappling book? That is too far.

Way I found it to work in 3.5 was:
1. announce grapple
2. thing about to being grappled gets an attack of oppurtunity unless:
a. Has already used attack of oppurtunity(s) for the round
b. Initiator has Improved Grapple
3. Resolve Attack of Oppurtunity
4. Initiator makes a melee touch attack against the thing he is grappling
5. If touch attack is successful, roll opposing grapple checks. Initiator uses his strength while the defender can use strength, dexterity, or escape artist
6. If initiator wins, the defender has been grappled and restrained and has a limited choice of options. Otherwise nothing else happens.
Aside: Defender can make successive Strength, Dexterity, or Escape Artist checks to escape on their next turns
7. A second opposed grapple check (a pin check) can be made to pin an opponent, further restricting the opponent and possibly dealing subdual damage.
That IS much simpler than the rules I've seen. See, that's doable.

I admit, though, last time I played D&D, we were playing 2nd edition...

They had modifiers based on strength, dexterity, attacks-per-round, to-hit, as well as running speed at the time of attack, and certain ******* DMs would even insist on weather and ground surface modifiers, e.g. it was easier to grapple when standing on grass or turf than on stone, etc.

It got to the point where a single grapple took about ten minutes to resolve.

Apparently they simplified the process.