Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lt. Commander
Issue:

It's been a a little while now since the launch of the game and we've all had a chance to really get in and experience everything the game has to offer both good and bad.

My thread hopes to deal with what i feel is a fairly large but deceptively simple flaw in the control interface of the game. Hopefully enough people share this perspective to have it corrected in a future patch.

During your time playing STO. Have you ever been in a Fleet action or Deep Space encounter and while under attack from an enemy activated an ability such as Engineering or Science Team at a crucial moment?

Has the ability ever automatically targeted one of your allies and applied the buff to them, often wasting it and resulting in your fiery death?

If you answered YES to both of these questions then you are another victim of the 'Assist Target on Attack' control setting (located in the 'controls' section of the option menu).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assist Target on Attack
If enabled, attempting to attack a friend or heal an enemy will instead change your target to your target's target and then activate the power.
Simply put, If you're targeting an Ally and you fire phasers, your ship will target their target and then fire phasers. If you have an enemy target however and you use a beneficial ability (Engineering Team) Then your ship will automatically target the enemy's target before applying the ability.

Why don't we just turn off the AToA option?

While i dislike how i often die as a result of my ship automatically applying an ability to the target of my target i quite like the way i can assist my party members simply by clicking them then spamming buttons.

Solution:

In essence i think that it's a mistake to have both of these actions handled by the same setting. I propose that in an upcoming patch that this single control setting be split into two separate options as follows -

Assist Ally on Attack - If enabled, attempting to attack a friend will instead change your target to their target and then activate the power.

Assist Ally on Heal - If enabled, attempting to heal an enemy will instead change your target to their target and then activate the power.

In their own words of course.