Lt. Commander
# 11
03-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheema
Which sociopathic cretin decided this was a good idea? .
Perfect, I could not have stated it better.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-30-2010, 06:50 AM
CRYPTIC PLEASE GET RID OF THIS!

Better yet, make it an option we can turn on and off for those who might enjoy having their eyes bleed.

It does seem random, and it's annoying as heck. May be I should start posting in red until this is removed or until we're given an option to disable it? I've looked all over and there's no way to turn it off.

Thread about this...

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=143684
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=143684
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-30-2010, 07:28 AM
I've had this happen myself, i've only ever seen it happen when fighting borg. We really need them to either disable it or at least give us an option to turn it off ourselves as it gets really annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-30-2010, 07:49 AM
As far as I can tell this is actually an alert to tell you that you've been boarded. Your other hint that you have been boarded is that random powers and systems will get cooldown timers even though you haven't used them. The Borg do this a lot and tactical team doesn't actually fix it unfortunately. If you pay close attention you will see it stop when the Borg beam out or whatever, which puts a big green icon over your ship for a second.

You can see this in PVP too if you get hit by a boarding party. That is the only time I notice this particular flashing, when I've been boarded.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by specter22
We really need them to either disable it or at least give us an option to turn it off ourselves as it gets really annoying.
QFT 10 char.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
As far as I can tell this is actually an alert to tell you that you've been boarded. Your other hint that you have been boarded is that random powers and systems will get cooldown timers even though you haven't used them. The Borg do this a lot and tactical team doesn't actually fix it unfortunately. If you pay close attention you will see it stop when the Borg beam out or whatever, which puts a big green icon over your ship for a second.

You can see this in PVP too if you get hit by a boarding party. That is the only time I notice this particular flashing, when I've been boarded.
Thanks for clarifying that. I prefer to pop tactical team when I notice cooldowns instead of moving red on my screen, so an option here would still be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0b0ts View Post
I think it is a good idea, it just needs some tweaking to where it only shows up when you drastically are doomed.
But that is NOT what triggers it. I get it within seconds of fighting borg even when I have taken trivial damage... just make this pointless annoyance go away and give is proper buff/debuff icons where we want them on the screen.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Better yet, make it an option we can turn on and off for those who might enjoy having their eyes bleed.
Heuer's Law: Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
As far as I can tell this is actually an alert to tell you that you've been boarded
That makes sense. Previously I had no idea when it was happening. It's a shame that there's no real indication as to what the flashing means though.

If it is specifically that you've been boarded, I'm going to keep a closer eye out for it now.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-30-2010, 02:30 PM
red screen border flashing (and specifically red) is an infamous epilepsy trigger.

so ye there really should be an option to turn it off.

its either related afaik to heavy hull damage or boarding by the enemy.

i get it all the time when im hull tanking an it gives me a headache.

my brother, who has epilepsy, finds it infuriating that its even in the game.

famously wow added a similar feature which flashed the screen border red when you were viewing the full screen map and were attacked and had to pull it from the game because it was causing people to have fits and putting people in hospital.

i would have hoped a developer or two might have noted that episode.