Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
...like EA/Bioware!
They revealed their latest big special community event with cool prizes etc, but limited to US Residents only.
The problem is, you don't see that it's US residents only until you read the conditions.
They overhyped this "bazaar" with a countdown on their website and promoted it as a big thank you to fans and the community. Though it appears any fan outside the States (oh I should mention except NY and FL) cannot take part in this "big thank you" to Bioware fans.

*sigh* such a disappointment

When will competition laws become universal? The regional restriction on things in this day and age is simply idiotic.
Here's is the 128+ page forum thread full with disappointed "fans" http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...ndex/1960445/1 (and apparently no mod has posted in that thread since it started)

Though personally, I think this is really EA's fault not Bioware's.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2010, 04:51 AM
If my state is excluded it's probably something to do with taxes. there is hardly nothing they dont tax us for here.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Generally there are legality issues with offering contests and such to different countries....

There's too much red tape and too many lawyers to deal with. It's nothing personal...they aren't doing it to spite non-US residents.

I am not positive if it's US law that forbids it, or some European countries....I am not up on all the laws.....

It's not just games that do it....There are other contests that are limited by residency.

BioWare (as with any other company) does not like excluding people because of residency....They just don't have a choice in the matter.....
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-30-2010, 05:05 AM
Ahahahaha, Kentucky's 6% sales tax FTW.

But while it's certainly not EA or Bioware's fault that these laws and regulations exist, they definitely should have said something or made it more obvious regarding who can and cannot participate. That's pretty disappointing. Then again, we are talking about EA here... :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Then again, we are talking about EA here... :p
Very true.

I've had problems with EA since they screwed over Brian Fargo and his crew....
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-30-2010, 05:28 AM
Hmm, so New York and Florida are no longer part of the USA, wonder when that happened.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-30-2010, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteRaver_001
Hmm, so New York and Florida are no longer part of the USA, wonder when that happened.
Obama care decided those states were too old or too poor to live via unanimous death panel decision.

sorry couldnt help it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-30-2010, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphigory View Post
Though personally, I think this is really EA's fault not Bioware's.
Actually it's not Bioware's or EA's fault. The real fault lies with the lawyers and politicians in the various countries who have chosen to make the laws so complex, difficult and arcane that American companies literally cannot afford to take the time to decode them.

If people in other countries would like to stop being excluded from these U.S. based contests then they should pressure their politicians to rewrite and simplify the existing laws.

But of course that would be a reasonable course of action, something the internet people aren't exactly well known for. Also, it's easier to just blame the evil American corporation than it is to imagine that the fault might possibly lie with anything in your own country.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Uh, Cryptic managed to do a multinational competition with out any of that happening. so. no.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Been there, seen that. I always get screwed over by US only deals. STO pre-order beta keys arrive in Canada half way through the beta. Then they did not have the Canadian SE boxes in the day it came out.

I think the US is still ****ed about 1812 to be honest. heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Actually it's not Bioware's or EA's fault. The real fault lies with the lawyers and politicians in the various countries who have chosen to make the laws so complex, difficult and arcane that American companies literally cannot afford to take the time to decode them.

If people in other countries would like to stop being excluded from these U.S. based contests then they should pressure their politicians to rewrite and simplify the existing laws.

But of course that would be a reasonable course of action, something the internet people aren't exactly well known for. Also, it's easier to just blame the evil American corporation than it is to imagine that the fault might possibly lie with anything in your own country.
To this I state that the US and Canada have a complete open trade agreement with almost identical product, importation, and exportation laws. Why am I not included?