Lt. Commander
# 1 AFKish
03-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Even though I am fairly new to 10 Forward, I thought it would be proper for me to let you all know that I am going to be afk for a few days. This is not due to Capulet chopping off any of my body parts or things like that. I will be in Houston, Tx, at the Southwestern Social Science Association annual convention presenting a paper dealing with desegregation in education in North Texas. Wish me luck, and I will see everyone back on Sunday. (I may still post every now and then before I leave in the morning.)
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
Even though I am fairly new to 10 Forward, I thought it would be proper for me to let you all know that I am going to be afk for a few days. This is not due to Capulet chopping off any of my body parts or things like that. I will be in Houston, Tx, at the Southwestern Social Science Association annual convention presenting a paper dealing with desegregation in education in North Texas. Wish me luck, and I will see everyone back on Sunday. (I may still post every now and then before I leave in the morning.)
I went to school in North Texas (Dallas Area), and I was always in unsegregated schools. This is new to me. How many schools in North Texas are still segregated for Christ's sake?

Also, good luck in Houston.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Oh, none are segregated now. The research that I have been working on dates back to the '50s and '60s. One is Battle, et al v. Wichita Falls Junior College Dist., et al, and the other Bell, et al v. Rippy, et al. The same judge with the North Texas District Court heard both cases, and came out with two different verdicts, though based on the same interpretation of the law. Our paper is breaking down his decision in these cases, and why the outcomes were different.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
Oh, none are segregated now. The research that I have been working on dates back to the '50s and '60s. One is Battle, et al v. Wichita Falls Junior College Dist., et al, and the other Bell, et al v. Rippy, et al. The same judge with the North Texas District Court heard both cases, and came out with two different verdicts, though based on the same interpretation of the law. Our paper is breaking down his decision in these cases, and why the outcomes were different.
Are you studying to become an attorney?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-31-2010, 09:16 PM
No,
I became interested in this because of a class I took here at the university. The Battle case made it to the US Supreme Court, and was waiting on the docket when Brown v. Board II came through. Battle was kicked back down to the 5th Circuit a week after the Brown ruling. The Battle case involved the university that I attend, and there was nothing about the case in the school history. So, I and a friend went to the regional National Archives and dug up the case documents, copied them all, came back, and wrote about it. We also had the school plant a tree and provide a granite block to commemorate the 6 plaintiffs of the case. Out of the 6, two are still alive, which we have met and interviewed.

I am working on a bachelor's in history, my friend in political science, so we work well together on this stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Good luck with the paper. Hopefully you're not like me and still revising as you are eating breakfast before your panel. I've only presented a few times but I usually find the process nerve-wracking.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-31-2010, 09:22 PM
I hate presenting...it means I have to shave and wear a tie.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Good luck and hurry back, yes you will be missed Ooo and yay no more beard!