Lt. Commander
Of the types of missions, you have ground and space.

So that should be a 50/50 mix. Yet when I keep a tally, it's about 3/4 are ground, 1/4 are space.

Of ground missions, you have:

Interact with the blinkies
Interact with the blinkies + Vaporize the bad guys
Vaporize the bad guys

That's 2/3 ground missions have bad guys, yet the tally ends up closer to 4/5 have bad guys.

Of the space, you have:

Aid the Planet
Gather Data
Scan the Ships
Scan the Ships + Enemies
Rescue the Station
Fight off the Enemy Ambush
Eliminate All Hostiles

That's 4/7 of them have space combat. Yet, once again the tally comes out disproportionate. I came out to about 1 in 7 space missions actually involving any kind of space combat.

This seems disproportionate and suggests that something in the RNG isn't working right. Unless the missions are weighted in certain ways. Are they weighted? If so, why?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-01-2010, 05:33 AM
As far as I'm aware the missions are random

completely randomised based on no previous criteria

Just pot luck if you will
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
This seems disproportionate and suggests that something in the RNG isn't working right. Unless the missions are weighted in certain ways. Are they weighted? If so, why?
Cross referencing my Aid the Planet Project:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=145964

I have three characters that have attained commander or higher level. None of them have gotten an aid the planet mission since leaving Lt. Commander rank.

OminousVoice has had a similar experience as seen in the post made in that thread.

AzureAlliance provides some compelling statistics:

Quote:
of 537 maps, only 26 of them have been relief efforts
26/537= 0.048417132...
4.8% of all exploration missions are relief efforts according to my data, so probably a 5% chance of drawing a relief effort is what's programmed into the game
While my thread is solely focused on Aid the Planet missions I think the stats and the topic overlap with the questions you are asking.

Lt. Commander
# 4
04-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Darn, I wish I had all those ground missions you seem to keep getting. The amount of space combat ones I drop cos I don't feel like fighting in space is amazing ...

Now as to the Aid the Planet missions I am sure I got those after Lt Cmdr but not 100% as I have played my Lt Cmdr character as a break from my Rear Admiral character.

Edit: Ah, I see the pattern .. it taps into our neural nets and sees what we hate doing and gives us those instead of what we want to do Rofl .. couldn't resist.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Edit: Ah, I see the pattern .. it taps into our neural nets and sees what we hate doing and gives us those instead of what we want to do Rofl .. couldn't resist.
Must be a malicious Betazoid handing out the explore missions. What I wouldn't give for a dual lobed brain right now.