Lt. Commander
# 1 High Yield and Plasma Torps
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
are there any tips to making sure that the high yield plasma torp actually fires, rather than doing nothing but initiate the global cooldown? am I firing it too soon to activating it or what? do the different ranks have any effect on this misfiring issue? I love plasma torps too much to give 'em up, so that ain't an option. but since I've gone into PvP more, the misfires are more critical than in PvE and it's starting to get on my nerves.

anyway, thanks for any help!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Perhaps you're firing the torp before HYT has finished animating?

Wait a beat before firing the torp. See if that makes any difference.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-01-2010, 03:55 PM
finished animating, as in, once the 30 second countdown begins before you lose the enhancement? sometimes it still won't fire even after that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvind View Post
finished animating, as in, once the 30 second countdown begins before you lose the enhancement? sometimes it still won't fire even after that.
No, the little red rings collecting on the bow of your ship when you trigger HYT. Lasts about 1 second. I don't know if it matters or not, but I never fire my torps until that little animation has completely finished, and don't experience what you described.

I admit I'm grasping at straws here for you, it's just an idea.

I was also hoping some more knowledgeable people might chime in.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2010, 03:12 PM
You didn't mention the frequency with which this occurs. If it occurs all the time, I really don't know what to tell you.

I noticed it occasionally happening with the high yield plasma and tricobalt torps (in both PvP and PvE), but since it was very rare, simply chalked it up to the torp being taken out by an enemy's damage (they only have, like, 200 health). Someone using Fire at will would take them out (immediately upon launch), certain AoE space damage (gravity well, eject warp plasma, etc.), ship explosions, mines you didn't see...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-02-2010, 04:42 PM
I'll pay more attention to when the red rings are done animating. I tend to wait until at least the countdown has begun to fire though. any grasping can help I don't wanna give up using plasma torps.

the frequency of misfiring is not really set. sometimes I'll be fine, being able to fire HY plasma torps one after another with no issue. then sometimes it'll be three times in a row that I can't get one off. I'm pretty sure they're not getting shot down by either weapons, spread damage, Tyken's Rift, etc.

the other thing I'm thinking of, is that I rubberband sometimes in combat. could latency issues cause the misfirings?

regardless, when I get a chance to log back on tonight or tomorrow, I'll be checking the combat log more. like I said, I don't want to give up using plasma torps. I like the concept too much (though I'd love it if they were just a bit faster). thank you all for your help!