Lt. Commander
# 61
04-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie
he has a point. though imo the major deciding factor would be force users and the borg but then again ST has Q and his brood.\

i mean if it were possible *assuming it is* the borg could get one force user and well think of the adaption. every drone a force user now.
Don't think the force works that way though. Then SW guys could just get Yslamari and negate the Force...
Lt. Commander
# 62
04-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkornn
Well I found some fun comparison photos of ship sizes between ST and SW.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/images2/i...tar_Wars_2.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/images2/i...tar_Wars_1.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed these ship comparisons!
That's pretty damn cool
Lt. Commander
# 63
04-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Neat ship comparison with the models. Some of them definitely surprised me.

As for all the 'versus' stuff -- IMO, it's all pointless nonsense. The two are not directly comparable. In the Trek universe, lasers are weak and phasers are a newer, much more powerful alternative. In the Star Wars universe, they call whatever weapons they mount 'lasers' but they destroy entire PLANETS with them. To me, it doesn't take a PhD to see they're not talking about the same things. A laser in Trek and a laser in SW are quite obviously vastly different items, and trying to make comparisons from one universe to the other based on such terminology is nonsensical. They're FICTIONAL settings, each with their own unique, fictional 'physics' and technology -- each exists in it's own paradigm which defines what does what, and they're not even close to being the same.

The scale comparison is pretty cool though.
Lt. Commander
# 64
04-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayradyss View Post
They're FICTIONAL settings

Blasphemy!

Feed her to the rancor!
Lt. Commander
# 65
04-05-2010, 02:52 AM
I always ROFL when seeing the ST V SW stuff coming up... something that always gets a bit of interesting geeky debate going.

Awesome model comparison tho... definitely puts things into perspective with these little debates.
Lt. Commander
# 66
04-05-2010, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkornn
Well I found some fun comparison photos of ship sizes between ST and SW.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/images2/i...tar_Wars_2.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/images2/i...tar_Wars_1.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed these ship comparisons!
That was a very slick find. I never knew there was such a size difference between the two. It really is apparent with the first one.
Lt. Commander
# 67
04-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Really awesome!

I was surprised at the size difference of the Millenium Falcon and the Defiant though!
Lt. Commander
# 68
04-05-2010, 04:24 AM
On boarding parties though.

1. Empire storm troopers tend to miss their opponents with their guns.
2. Starfleet officers seem to always get hit and die by weapons fire from their opponents.
Lt. Commander
# 69
04-05-2010, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyrogers
That was a very slick find. I never knew there was such a size difference between the two. It really is apparent with the first one.
Tbh this dont supprise me at all, suppose it looks a little better in 3d but comparison charts have been around for years http://www.infoaddict.com/wp-content...chart_huge.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 70
04-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final_Frontiersman
If the Federation were to get boarded by the Imperials like the Tantive did in Episode IV, the Stormtroopers would be fried. I mean, not only do Phasers seem to be able to auto aim the beam anyway, but a Phaser can vaporize an opponent whereas a Blaster just leaves a smoking hole.
I am not sure if am so much "deader" whether I have a smoking hole in my breast or am vaporized.

Star Wars vs Star Trek: Whoever the author favors, wins.

I've seen some funny energy estimations based on "on-screen evidence", like Star Destroyers destroying asteroids (Episode V) or the Enterprise digging holes in a planetary surface. In some ways, the cheaper the SFX at t he time where done,m the more powerful ships became. Asteroids might entirely disappear after being hit with a weapon if you can't really film or use CGI to model them breaking apart for example.

In technical manuals of each setting, randomly high numbers and entirely fictional science is used to reason about how strong weapons or shields of these ships are.

Ultimately, it's all guessing. Or selecting t "evidence" that supports your position.

Ultimately, Star Wars and Star Trek starships move at the speed of the plot, and have the firepower that works for the drama you want to use. Straight Forward fights are also rarely depicted in TV shows or movies.

The Executor is destroyed by destroying its shield generators and a random A-Wing striking its bridge.The Death Star is destroyed due to a terrible construction flaw. Or because he isn't even completed and a commando team disables its defenses.

The Borg are destroyed by using Captain Picards connection to the collective (twice! The first time to send them "sleep", the second time by him "hearing" something and locating a temporary fatal weakness.)

Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway had to beat enemies that were far more powerful than they were by using smart tactics and/or finding a glaring flaw.

So, if Luke Skywalker would be intercepted by a Klingon Battleship, he would probably engage them in Lightsaber combat and, when overwhelmed, retreat and destroy their Warp Core or something.

If the Enterprise D was overhwelmed by a Superstar Destroyer, an away-team would secretely be smuggled aboard and trigger its hyperdrive to jump inside a star or something. If Darth Vader was aboard, he might be unable to affect Data or Troi would find a way to trhow him off balance, ultimiately leading in the SSD retreating but Vader and the Enterprise living to see another day.

If the Enterprise would fight Rogue Squadron and its shields would prove impenetrable, the Enterprise would beam Rogue Squadron aboard and imprison them. They would manage to escape their cells, steal back their X-Wings, launch a proton torpedo through the shields and cripple its warp engines to hyperdrive away before the Enterprise can follow them. (Or they would figure out that they are both the good guys and have to work together.)

It's about the storytelling and telling the stories in the "tone" of the universe and the respective characters.Which probably means that Rebels and Jedi would typically face overwhelming odds but due to luck and wit manage to escape and beat them. The same would apply for everything the Feds would do against the Empire, but if they were fightinyg Rebels, it would probably involve appeaking to moral concepts and convince the other side that they are not enemies.