Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
*We need full impulse (burst) during combat so we may get away from 6 bird of prey come back and fight another day.
the impulse button is not there during combat so it makes it impossible to get distance between your ship and an enemy ship. to raise shield strength and hull structural integrity. not having this limits maneuverability also.

*Full reverse is way to slow, we need to be able control reverse speed
I have the fastest way to get a quick sustained burst in such a situation is to go to full impulse, emergency power to engines, Evasive Maneuvers, and finally...engine battery.

Granted it is a bit involved; however, the sustained speed burst will put alot of distance between you and your grave. I've used this escape maneuver very successfully. While zipping, reversing shield polarity keeps me from getting creamed by the last shot.

I duck behind something, sit still until shields go down, then cloak. It works very well.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
If this were to be done, then there would have to be counters for it.

If there was a counter, people would use it to prevent you from fleeing.

If people prevented you from fleeing, then you would ask for another option to escape battle.

Yes, I know this isn't a PvP post, but PvE encounters would start to use counters to full impulse, or would become very easy.

There are already good options for withdrawing from combat. They are not guarantees to escape, but they do work some times, if applied properly.

As for myself, when I start a fight, I am generally in it until myself or the enemy blows up.

Keep your power to engines high, and use a hyper-impulse engine.
theres already a counter in play (although it may have to be adjusted) tractor beam
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Since all power goes to engines when traveling at Full Impulse that can act as it's own counter. Want to turn tail and run as fast as you can? Better be faster than the unshielded damage from energy weapons and especially torpedoes.

Honestly, I'd be interested in this if for no better reason than to not have to hang around while still in condition red. I want to go pew pew boom and then high tail it on to the next target across the map.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-05-2010, 06:35 PM
I just dont see why we can't do full impulse in a combat situation, if someone wants a big speed boost at the cost of all their weapon/shield/aux energy, why not let them? seems balance enough itself.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
if this were to happen, i know several players tat would be almost impossible to kill. they are almost impossible to kill now when they use their abilities to run away that are already in game.

think of the full over loaded full impulse requiring sustained plasma flow that gets disrupted when u are in combat. i know it aint perfect cause there are time when you run you have less than 100 hull points left (at least i have) but what the hell. why not?
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by count23 View Post
I just dont see why we can't do full impulse in a combat situation, if someone wants a big speed boost at the cost of all their weapon/shield/aux energy, why not let them? seems balance enough itself.
Let me check...

KdF has BoP, with battle cloak...
So, set energy to weapons, deliver alpha strike, activate full impulse, brace for impact, battle cloak....
Now, multiple this tactic by 5..... this would be a swoop in, kill one, get out

Right now, without "full impulse" in combat, a TAC or SCI is ~20 km away in less then 2 seconds, if he
pops the engine battery, switches engine settings, activate some "run a way" buffs. A cruiser needs 3 seconds
to reach the same distance

1) implementing will result in unbalanced PvP - advantage KdF BoP
2) it is already possible to get away very quick, even without this feature